Tubeless on the road

Popit

1 hour ago, craig.anavi@gmail.com said:

Starting this up again.

How often should you replace/ refill the sealant in road tyres?

Orange Seal recommends on the product information for their Regular sealant that it has a lifespan of 30-45days. When I shake the wheel I can still hear the sealant sloshing around at the bottom.

Any recommendations on top up intervals? Rather be safe than sorry?

Thanks in advance!

that is just the water sloshing about in your tyres. The sealant has long since separated. Follow the recommendation. IME its there for good reason

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping to hear some good feedback on OrangeSeal for road use. the Regular Sealant is touted as one of the best internationally for road use.

https://lanoysports.co.za/collections/orange-seal

On the tubeless tire side of things.

My Parlees come with Vittoria Corsa 2.0 28mm tubeless tires - they are stunning to ride. the most comfortable tire i have ever used. but at R1800 a tire - yes per tire. i will not be replacing like for like. i also needed tire levers and a compressor to seat these tires.

I tried Pirelli Z Zero tires - came with a set of zipps i bought. ran them with tubes. in 10 rides i had 10 punctures in the cradle. roughly 1000km. popped them straight into the bin.

i have since been demoing the Goodyear Eagle F1 tires and am sold on them. not quite as comfy as the Vittoria to begin with, but they seem to loosen up and feel really good after a few 100km. in my case they went on easy without the need of tire levers, and mounted with a standard floor pump to the Zipps. they held pressure perfectly through the night without sealant. so very impressed. so far i have 1200 odd km on them without fault. and at R730 a tire they are much cheaper to run.

as a side, a mate also tried these and broke levers trying to mount them to his older Bontrager wheels.

so it appears the newer tires tend to play well with newer rims, but can give issue when used on older rims? 

https://lanoysports.co.za/collections/goodyear/products/goodyear-eagle-f1-tubeless-complete

the Pzero with tubes same thing for me, 3 punctures in less than 100km. The F1 I had two punctures in the first ride, since then nothing, just the new tyre curse...

I still believe the pro 1 is the best tubeless I've tried so far, the GP 5000 isn't bad either, the eagle f1 is just a bit *** to fit on the rim compared to the two others, and it has that "tube" feel that I'm sure people relunctant to tubeless will like. Even at 5/5,5 bars they feal very stiff like a tubed tire at 9 bar. 

Edited by Jbr

45 minutes ago, Jbr said:

the Pzero with tubes same thing for me, 3 punctures in less than 100km. The F1 I had two punctures in the first ride, since then nothing, just the new tyre curse...

I still believe the pro 1 is the best tubeless I've tried so far, the GP 5000 isn't bad either, the eagle f1 is just a bit *** to fit on the rim compared to the two others, and it has that "tube" feel that I'm sure people relunctant to tubeless will like. Even at 5/5,5 bars they feal very stiff like a tubed tire at 9 bar. 

the Cinturatos on my bike will be on just over 7500km when I take them off this weekend. Not one puncture, rear has many cuts seeping sealant, front has a "bruise"" on it from hitting a pothole so it now makes a sound every revolution if its not above 60psi.

Comfort has been superb, loved the confidence in grip its given me, so then new set waiting to go are are also Cinturatos. Hopefully they give me just as great service. 

I had the Scwalbe Pro Evo One mounted previously on my Dura Ace  tubeless wheelset. It worked sort of. Very comfortable but very prone to punctures in my experience. I used it with Stans though because I couldn't get my hands on Orange Seal back then. So when replacement time arrived I got the Good Years and orange seal. Also broke a lever or two but the crowbar tyre levers did the job. Inflated and seated with the track pump and no issues since. No puncture or sealant spraying the rear triangle of the bike that used to be a big irritation with my previous setup. I'm a huge fan now.

• 3 months later...

I am currently running a set of Pirelli Cinturato 28mm tubeless after two sets of GP5000 TL.
They seem pretty good so far.

My wife is running the Goodyear Eagle F1 25mm tubeless which are riddled with punctures that we had to plug (external and mushroom), so have been quite unimpressed with those.

14 minutes ago, splat said:

I am currently running a set of Pirelli Cinturato 28mm tubeless after two sets of GP5000 TL.
They seem pretty good so far.

My wife is running the Goodyear Eagle F1 25mm tubeless which are riddled with punctures that we had to plug (external and mushroom), so have been quite unimpressed with those.

I did close to 8000km on my first set of Cinturatos, lots of small cuts but nothing punctured the tyre.

Currently on 1800km on the new set.

18 minutes ago, splat said:

and they are very slow. The GP5000 are so far the best I've had to ride our glass roads, despite the weight. I wish I could ride the Pro 1 again as it is a fair bit lighter but they are too soft for the roads we ride on, having to clean sealant off the bike every 2 rides is a bit annoying.

Edited by Jbr

• 3 months later...

I have an older set road Campagnolo Scirocco G3 (clincher) 35mm wheels that I want to convert to road tubeless this coming weekend.

Anyone tried it before, or know of a reason it might not work?

As long as you use a tyre that is compatible with a hookless road tubeless rim it should work fine at pressures below 80psi. Beyond that I’d be wary

2 hours ago, EddieV said:

I have an older set road Campagnolo Scirocco G3 (clincher) 35mm wheels that I want to convert to road tubeless this coming weekend.

My old(er) Campag rims are 2-way fit, which cannot take a new tubeless tyre - they are just impossible to fit. Perhaps something to be aware of. Try fitting the tyre before you tape the rims.

Other than that you should be fine.

4 hours ago, EddieV said:

I tried it about 5 years ago with a pair of non tubeless mavics and couldn't even get the tubeless tyre on

Edited by Andreas_187

On 1/19/2022 at 8:31 AM, splat said:

That’s odd, I agree the GP 5000s are my go to tires. But they are getting silly expensive and will react just like any other tire if you hit the wrong piece of glass.

makes for an expensive puncture.

the Goodyears I have are at around 3000km and have been brilliant at a 3rd of the price of the GPs 

my Vittoria graphine 2.0 are nearly toast at 4000km. The tread is pretty much gone. They are the most expensive tire of the lot and also the most comfortable, but have a very limited lifespan.

I've had a poor experience with tubeless GP5000s. A small sidewall gash that tried to heal itself in a fairly new front tyre brought it to a sad and premature end. I popped on a Gatorskin up front and ran the back GP5000 for a few months until it got nicely squared off, so that made it into the bin as well. The rear gave no issues at all, I must say.

Since then, I've been running Spez Roubaix 32c and am happier than anyone has a right to be - at the correct pressures, it's like a Gomma Gomma couch. I had one issue up front with a pokey that tried to heal but failed, leaving me walking about 2km to get home, but I think that was an old sealant issue more than anything.