Gravel bikes - what do you have and where did you buy it?

Myth

Hi, I am looking getting a gravel bike and have been researching the interwebs for the last month or so.  There seems to be very little choice available in South Africa wrt Gravel bikes.  Also, most international sites (in fact ALL international sites I have looked at!) do not seem to ship full bikes, so sourcing from oversees also do not seem like an option.  Let me also say, I am looking for a Gravel bike and not a cyclocross bike as I want the slightly more relaxed geometry a gravel bike offers, and I definitely want Hydraulic discs not mechanical or anything cantilever...

I am looking to spend around R30k.

In terms of locally, the only ones I have been able to find are:

- Cannondale Slate (too expensive and I don't think its worth paying as much for only 30mm of travel)

- Cannondale CaadX and SuperX (really more Cyclocross bikes than gravel bikes I think, also most of the affordable models have mechanical discs, and I'm not a fan of mechanical disks)

- Scott Speedster 10 Gravel (looks like a nice option, comes with Hydro disk brakes for a really nice price)

- Spaz Diverge and Seqoia (expensive for what you get, SA also seems a bit limited in terms of the specific models we get.  Most of the affordable models also come with mechanical discs - meh)

- Trek Crockett 5 (also mechanical disks...)

- GT Grade various models (looks pretty good value, but usually out of stock everywhere!)

So my question, what gravel bikes does the Bikehub community own and where did you get it from?

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What size are you

L or 56 depending on how they define their sizes.  Or rather, whatever 1.83m makes me in the specific brand as they all differ a bit.

Edited by myth125

L or 56 depending on how they define their sizes.  Or rather, whatever 1.83m makes me in the specific brand as they all differ a bit.

I'd say large... if you need to reduce reach, then get a shorter stem which will sharpen your handling too. on gravel and mild trails, you'll be grateful 

Throw in the Giant Toughroad as well. SRAM Apex is nice

Oh yes, that's the other one I saw that i forgot to list...thanks.  

I have a Niner RLT Steel, the frame of which I got from BikeMob in Cape Town and then I built it up with a Sram Red group-set and Hope wheels which I got from the UK. I then fitted TRP Cable to Hydraulic converters  and run them Hydraulic.

You seem very set on the geometry/spec of the bike. 

R30k wouldn't buy you top class stuff.  You will most likely get a decent frame, Shimano 105 or similar.  OEM wheels, Unlikely to have hydraulic brakes. 

There is no reason on why a Cx biased bike would not do what you want to do.  The geometry is not that different, but I realise it might be bike dependant.

I have a Niner RLT (Cx/gravel mix) with mechanical discs. Frame geometry works well on gravel, and single track too.  Mech brakes not the the best, but works very well for gravel grinding.

The Giant TCX also needs to be on your list.

I suggest to go a test ride a few bikes with different specs before being set on the final spec.

Edited by Underachiever

I have a CX bike that doubles up as a road bike at present, this until funds allow the purchase of a new  road bike. I use it mostly on the road and don't think I'm that slow on it!

I have 2 sets of wheels, one with 25mm road wheels the other set are tubeless 38mm. I did complete the Transkaroo and been over the Kirstenbosch green belt a couple times on it, and intend to do the Swartberg 100 in a few weeks.

I'm not totally sure but I think CX bikes are more limited on tyre widths compared to the gravel / adventure bikes, mainly due to the max  tyre size for CX races being 35mm.

Gravel / adventure bikes maybe up to 50mm.

I have a CX bike that doubles up as a road bike at present, this until funds allow the purchase of a new  road bike. I use it mostly on the road and don't think I'm that slow on it!

I have 2 sets of wheels, one with 25mm road wheels the other set are tubeless 38mm. I did complete the Transkaroo and been over the Kirstenbosch green belt a couple times on it, and intend to do the Swartberg 100 in a few weeks.

I'm not totally sure but I think CX bikes are more limited on tyre widths compared to the gravel / adventure bikes, mainly due to the max  tyre size for CX races being 35mm.

Gravel / adventure bikes maybe up to 50mm.

+ traditional CX bikes are all about going flat out for a 1 hour course so comfort isn't high on the spec list + CX bikes tend not to be limited re eyelets for mudguards/pannier racks etc. Having said that, my Cotic X is more like a gravel bike than a CX bike but it's roots are firmly in CX...

The new Trek Checkpoint should be arriving in SA soon as well...a proper dedicated gravel machine from them...Trek SA are only going to be doing the SL6 Ultegra carbon bike and the ALR4 Alloy version though - if demand for this category grows I am sure they would look at expanding the range...