Gravel bikes - what do you have and where did you buy it?

Myth

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the Canyon Grail CF SL 7.0? Hydraulic discs, Shimano 105.

Comes in a bit over R30K (after VAT and duties). 

I really don't think you'll get better value.

Yup, had a look at it yesterday, does look like a good option.

What about the Canyon Grail CF SL 7.0? Hydraulic discs, Shimano 105.

Comes in a bit over R30K (after VAT and duties). 

I really don't think you'll get better value.

The 30k will get your bike here. There IS the small matter of duties and VAT you'll need to add 

The 30k will get your bike here. There IS the small matter of duties and VAT you'll need to add

You are correct.

Bike + packaging + delivery charge

= USD2139 + USD 16.90 + USD 299

= USD 2454.90

= ZAR 29458.80 (@ZAR 12 / USD 1)

Add SA VAT (at 15%) and SA customs (for a complete bike, I think 15%), and you’re looking at around ZAR39k (assuming the exchange rate stays the same between time of purchase and time of delivery).

Crazy that guvmint gets nearly ZAR 10k of your hard earned just because you buy a bike from overseas instead of from SA (where it isn’t easily available)!!!

Edited by Grogs

Same boat

Would have bought a Momsen GP300 if it had hydro brakes. So asked about a frameset - good luck

I also like the Spez Diverge E5 but the compnenta are really a let down. So again, can I have the frameset - No sir, only S-works can be had naked.

So now I am thinking of Kenesis Tripster AT frameset and build it up over time.

https://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Models/Adventure/Tripster-AT

Next problem, SRAM. Sorry sir we cannot ship Big S to you anymore (officially) ask your local importer. Ok ring up Cape Cycles. No cannot buy from them directly, but we can check on stock before you mosey down to your LBS. ok great, do you have Apex 1 Hydro. Sorry sir, do not import that. But you can have Red or Force 1 Hydro at significantly more money

Edited by daniemare

That Canyon :drool:

I've been looking at getting one of these. I live out where there are a multitude of great dirt roads but the only tar is provincial roads which I am not very comfortable riding on. 

I thoughts were a Gravel bike that doubles up as a roadbike. So If I could have my way I'd want to have a set of road discs with 25cc slicks and a set of 2-2.2'' Wheels which would double up as  MTB race wheels and Gravel bike. One would then have 3 x 29er wheelsets. That's If one could get a MTB and Road frame with similar dropouts.

That would be my wish.

What about a Giant TCX SLR 2? Upgrade with Sram Apex 1x11 and you have a great bike (carbon fork) with loads of tyre clearance - 700 x 45mm rear and 700 x 50mm front!

Edit: Yes, more CX geometry, but can run massive tyres.

Edited by Smartie

I bought the frame and worked from there. Very happy with my result. Don't hate too much on trp spyre breaks. They're mechanical and do feel very different but with that tiny contact patch on unpredictable surfaces the last thing you want is XT hydraulic type power.