Gravel bikes - what do you have and where did you buy it?

Myth

Thanks guys, all pretty solid replies. Really liking most of what I see...

I guess my beef with mechanical disks are not about stopping power or coolness factor, but rather ease of setup. In the past I have always struggled in getting them set up properly with no brake rub (which seem to be easier for me to get right with hydro’s). Now this is from experience many years ago, could be that mechanicals have gotten better and this in now less of an issue? Perhaps getting the mechanical to hydraulic converters could also be a good workaround.

Avid BB7's takes you 2 min to set up.  Easy peasy.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My build

Steel frame from FARROUT

Lauf fork

AM Classic 28 wheels with Maxxis 700 X 40 tubeless

Eagle GX and Slx cranks with a single 34 T

Brooks Cambion saddle Sector seatpost

Eggbeater pedals

KCNC headset

Jones Bar with Ergon Gp3 bar ends and Lizard tape , far out Garmin mount

PRO stem and seat clamp

SRAM Level TL hydraulic discs

Weighs 11.3 kg still needs bottle cages

post-62084-0-61386700-1521979249_thumb.jpg

For normal gravel grinding, no.  Mechanical more than ok. 

Not sure if you need more when descending Swartberg pass at speed for example.

I'm panicking, got cantilever brakes on the Cotic and they don't work so good

Before hydraulics we went down Swartberg with cantilevers

Guess I need new pads 

You van run mechanical shifters and get cable to hydraulic converters so you can run hydraulic brakes.

Hope and TRP both make these. I have used both and both work well. Hope are bigger but work slightly better. Running TRP now and it makes no sense to change.

That's the converter

post-45902-0-19906600-1521996641_thumb.jpeg

i suppose another option would be to just build a monster-cross from a 29er hardtail...

jip. that's what I did

look at my previous post / photo of Giant / Lefty :D

i suppose another option would be to just build a monster-cross from a 29er hardtail...

Definitely an option, but just be careful if wanting to run a single chain ring up front. Most 29er frames can only accommodate up to a 38T single front chainring.

Most people opt for 42T - 46T single front chain rings. 

Definitely an option, but just be careful if wanting to run a single chain ring up front. Most 29er frames can only accommodate up to a 38T single front chainring.

mine running on a 42/28 (2x)

I would probably go 2x anyway as i think for a gravel grinder it would be easier to find the sweet spot with 2x gearing.

jip. that's what I did

look at my previous post / photo of Giant / Lefty :D

how are you finding the suspension "bob", or are you running relatively low sag?  

how are you finding the suspension "bob", or are you running relatively low sag?  

don't confuse a Lefty with other shocks. once locked it is like a rigid... :whistling:

Just pulled the trigger on one of these Inflite deals

I feel sorry for the local bike shops as it was delivered in 4 days from Germany and I assembled it in an hour.

Mmm. Also scoping an Inflite race cx bike. Is there nobody else also looking to get one? I read on the Canyon website that if you buy 2 Inflite race bikes as part of their sponsoring program you get even more discount than what they are currently offering. If anyone else is interested lets chat. @Ttocs: which inflite did you get? Plz post a pic! [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk