Gravel bikes - what do you have and where did you buy it?

Myth

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An added benefit, and I might have mentioned it before, is the fitness developed. The geometry of the gravel bike is close enough to your road bike as opposed to MTB to develop awesome muscle memory.

Case in point, by just commuting +- 7500km to the office last year, I managed to get fit enough to do a sub 3 Argus, without any additional training. I put this down to the extra effort required for the heavier bike, commuter bag and wider tires. Once you get onto your ‘road bike’ if feels effortless.

Apologies for the scene-less photo  :ph34r: 

post-20017-0-22342600-1594379741_thumb.jpg

Edited by EddieV

An added benefit, and I might have mentioned it before, is the fitness developed. The geometry of the gravel like is close enough to your road bike as opposed to MTB to develop awesome muscle memory.

Case in point, by just commuting +- 7500km to the office last year, I managed to get fit enough to do a sub 3 Argus, without any additional training. I put this down to the extra effort required for the heavier bike, commuter bag and wider tires. Once you get onto your ‘road bike’ if feels effortless.

just by communting!.........7500 kms in a year made you strong, that's not Mickey Mouse. I do agree with the heavier commute bike and then racing on a lighter bike theory

An added benefit, and I might have mentioned it before, is the fitness developed. The geometry of the gravel like is close enough to your road bike as opposed to MTB to develop awesome muscle memory.

Agree!!!

Do most of my off season (winter and Nov-Dec) training on the Niner.  After that I am ready to fly on the road bike!!

I am really enjoying this "new" trend towards gravel bikes and comfort. As a bike fitter I've fought with people for years that comfort can be fast but came up against a brick wall of SLAMMED STEMS ARE BEST AND MAKE ME LOOK FAST :-) 

The trend towards smaller saddle-stem drops/less aggressive set ups and the corresponding WOW THAT FEELS AWESOME feedback has been great.

Long live gravel. Viva viva!

In terms of comfort, I just didn't understand the initial gravel builds on rigid bikes with narrow tyres to ride the corrugated gravel roads we have. Considering all the advancement and direction MTBs have taken in recent years for comfort & performance, this seemed to be the opposite direction for gravel.

Interestingly I see the newer trends and what the avid gravel riders are doing is shifting to wider tyres, some suspension (Lefty Oliver / Lauff), rear compliance and also 1x gearing systems.

That is a really good looking bike

I'm in the same boat with N+1 bikes sadly staring forlornly at me as I pass them up.  Like an old dog left at home whilst you take the younger ones for a walk - I thought gravel bikes were a hoax but I realised a while back that I'm really a roadie who was riding an MTB to stay safe.  I don't even like single track and then the bike marketers read my mind and gave me what I needed - a drop bar compfy roadie to ride on and off road

Wayne that sums me up ... a roadie who rides dirt for safety ( and some other ) reasons

In terms of comfort, I just didn't understand the initial gravel builds on rigid bikes with narrow tyres to ride the corrugated gravel roads we have. Considering all the advancement and direction MTBs have taken in recent years for comfort & performance, this seemed to be the opposite direction for gravel.

Interestingly I see the newer trends and what the avid gravel riders are doing is shifting to wider tyres, some suspension (Lefty Oliver / Lauff), rear compliance and also 1x gearing systems.

Agreed. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say early gravel bikes mainly used Cyclocross tyres where the max UCI imposed width is 33mm (or 35mm or that is the range - I forget). Once manufacturers realised they could sell enough >35mm they started making them.

My feeling is the early limit was due to lack of availability rather than choice.

I just weighed my fork with thru axle, 1460g.

My bike weighs 11.5 ready to ride (with little saddle bag and lights attached) , but it has a lauf fork on it... 45e4f675eafd995f10a0b9de0b8be7c1.jpg

Awesome, thank you. Can definitely save 1kg by changing the fork. But for now i'm happy.

I just weighed my fork with thru axle, 1460g.

My bike weighs 11.5 ready to ride (with little saddle bag and lights attached) , but it has a lauf fork on it... 45e4f675eafd995f10a0b9de0b8be7c1.jpg

Aah... thank you!

We are getting ever closer to finding out the weight of the frame and fork together.

Agree!!!

Do most of my off season (winter and Nov-Dec) training on the Niner. After that I am ready to fly on the road bike!!

I ride the 94.7 yearly on my old school Bianchi in 3:20 average. Last year I did my tenth on my gravel bike ( Momsen R 355 ) and finished in the same time........

I am loving my gravel bike - the converted Singular frame is so comfortable and the 50c tyres absorb the bumps. The flared Spank bars provide endless hand position options.

I found a SARTO Carbon Gravel on Bikehub, got SALT wheels&bars from seller and the rest from my local "Bike Shop" Loving the ride, just evens out the hard bumps. Now my favoured in the N+1 collection.