Gravel bikes - what do you have and where did you buy it?

Myth

Thanks Bertus .... I think :)

I will probably end with a 29" hard tail, with 30 to 40 mm tires .... dont see my wrists surviving a rigid fork ....

Just dreaming for now ....

Edited by ChrisF

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Braking is handled by TRP HY/RD brakes, and going forward is done by a 2x10 mix bag of 105 Shifters, CX70 46/36 Crankset, Deore XT Rear Derailleur and an 11-36 cassette.

Nice build. How are you pairing the 105s with the XT derailleur? Tanpan? Or do the older 105s just pair normally with mtb stuff? I know that some of the older shimano 9 speed road and mtb stuff have the same pull ratios but knowing what will and wont work is a dark art. 

Nice build. How are you pairing the 105s with the XT derailleur? Tanpan? Or do the older 105s just pair normally with mtb stuff? I know that some of the older shimano 9 speed road and mtb stuff have the same pull ratios but knowing what will and wont work is a dark art. 

You've gotta use a 9 Speed XT derailleur, they are compatible with the 10 Speed STI's.

Looking for a small 1.5-2.0l handlebar bag.Any suggestions?

Am thinking of getting one of these, supporting local. Two sizes sml (18cmx10cm) and large (21cmx13cm). The price is R450 for fabric and R550 for leather including delivery. Not sure on the volume though in litres: 

www.instagram.com/mango_time_bags

This is the restrap canister bag on fellow hubber Monark’s bike

Wayne, how them tyres on tar compared to slicks?

Wayne, how them tyres on tar compared to slicks?

The bike in picture isn't mine but I think Monark and I ride the same panaracer 50s.  We were both on 43s.  I can feel the difference on the tar but on gravel I've gained comfort and not lost speed

The panaracer 43's are the sweet spot between pace and comfort in my opinion.

Here are my beefy 50s

post-81229-0-90448300-1616750522_thumb.jpg

The bike in picture isn't mine but I think Monark and I ride the same panaracer 50s.  We were both on 43s.  I can feel the difference on the tar but on gravel I've gained comfort and not lost speed

The panaracer 43's are the sweet spot between pace and comfort in my opinion.

Here are my beefy 50s

I want something more Tar orientated as I want to convert my HT to a sort of CX bike and then possibly sell the roadie. So for now looking at tyre options.

I want something more Tar orientated as I want to convert my HT to a sort of CX bike and then possibly sell the roadie. So for now looking at tyre options.

Really liking the feel of the Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M 45's

They seem to roll quite fast and have grip for all seasons.

Really liking the feel of the Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M 45's

They seem to roll quite fast and have grip for all seasons.

Those look like a good tar to hard pack tyre, more or less what I am looking for. Schwalbe G Ones, Conti Terraspeed, and Kenda Alluvium also seem to be good choices.