Gravel bikes - what do you have and where did you buy it?

Myth

Really liking the feel of the Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M 45's

They seem to roll quite fast and have grip for all seasons.

this is a great one - I had this previously  - think mine may have been the 40c but it was super fast on tar

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking for a small 1.5-2.0l handlebar bag.Any suggestions?

What about the 1.8l Apidura Backcountry top tube bag? easier access, more stable and *cough* more aero. 

Snip ...

....the other bikes were a cannondale slate with a short travel lefty .....

Wayne how did you find the handling of the lefty ? Both in terms of absorbing bumps, and in ride stability on faster tar sections ....

I may be in the market for a gravel / commuter / road bike .... but front suspension is a must.

The Lauf gets good reviews, but outside my N+1 budget ...

I have looked at converting a HT MTB .... significant costs to the drive train to get to road speeds .... and then the uncertainty how it will handle at speed ... not sure what an entry level fork will do at speed ....

OPEN for input from those that have gone down this road before.

2nd question - how available are "gravel" tires in 27,5" ? I may go full slick, for best rolling .... thinking wider options ....

Edited by ChrisF

The bike in picture isn't mine but I think Monark and I ride the same panaracer 50s. We were both on 43s. I can feel the difference on the tar but on gravel I've gained comfort and not lost speed

The panaracer 43's are the sweet spot between pace and comfort in my opinion.

Here are my beefy 50s

Wayne, where was that pic taken?

What is the experience and feedback with "handle bar suspension" systems such as the "shock stop"?

Stafast pops on various searches ....

I would appreciate feedback from those that have tried the different systems.

What is the experience and feedback with "handle bar suspension" systems such as the "shock stop"?

https://youtu.be/oR20dsdt7fI

Stafast pops on various searches ....

I would appreciate feedback from those that have tried the different systems.

I got the shockstop after recommendations here. And can confirm, its bloody brilliant. It feels great, takes the sting out of the corrugations, and while pricey, is well worth it if you're on the gravel more than 50% of the time...

Wayne how did you find the handling of the lefty ? Both in terms of absorbing bumps, and in ride stability on faster tar sections ....

I may be in the market for a gravel / commuter / road bike .... but front suspension is a must.

I have looked at converting a HT MTB .... significant costs to the drive train to get to road speeds .... and then the uncertainty how it will handle at speed ... not sure what an entry level fork will do at speed ....

2nd question - how available are "gravel" tires in 27,5" ? I may go full slick, for best rolling .... thinking wider options ....

Just come give my Slate a try in Newlands, go up to blockhouse on your mtb afterwards and grab a beer at Forries. No pressure to buy it, but you are welcome to give it a try.

The guys at Switchback Sports / ECC have a large compliment of Panaracer tyres, they have a slick panaracer with tan sidewalls available in 650bx42c. (https://switchbacksports.co.za/products/gravel-king-650b-brown?variant=28239639052387) I have found the panaracers on mine pretty fast, I even managed to destroy @puresavage on Chappies a few months ago. 

I got the shockstop after recommendations here. And can confirm, its bloody brilliant. It feels great, takes the sting out of the corrugations, and while pricey, is well worth it if you're on the gravel more than 50% of the time...

Where did you buy it, and the cost please ?

Google took my to Euro prices ... ouch ...

Wayne, where was that pic taken?

It’s call Ou wa pas crossing the Outeniqua mountains from my side (Hoekwil) and then up and over to Luvein which is on the R62 between George and Uniondale - 15km section for just under 1000m, 2 of which took an hour walking - great views

Chris the bike handled great but in my mind the 27.5 were slower - they weren’t and some of my local loops were faster on that bike than anything in the 3 years since - in fact I did a road race on it with gravel tires and was about 10 mins of my best over 109km

But somehow I just didn’t love the bike so I switched to this Open with a 36 chainring and I never had any spinning out issues - I used Panaracer 43s not the ones pictured

post-81229-0-89185900-1616821282_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Wayne pudding Mol

I agree with everything .