Gravel bikes - what do you have and where did you buy it?

Myth

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s call Ou wa pas crossing the Outeniqua mountains from my side (Hoekwil) and then up and over to Luvein which is on the R62 between George and Uniondale - 15km section for just under 1000m, 2 of which took an hour walking - great views

Looks epic, I remember friends mentioning a way to get over in this area, must be this pass.

However much I enjoy the advantages of my gravel bike, that looks like a route that would be more enjoyable on a FS mtb. (Partially because I'm too lazy to walk)

Did a loop yesterday over Gysmanshoek pass near Riversdal, parts of the descent into the interior left me wishing I was on my mtb!

Edited by NC_lurker

The bike in picture isn't mine but I think Monark and I ride the same panaracer 50s. We were both on 43s. I can feel the difference on the tar but on gravel I've gained comfort and not lost speed

The panaracer 43's are the sweet spot between pace and comfort in my opinion.

Here are my beefy 50s

Lies... 50 or nothing...

I want something more Tar orientated as I want to convert my HT to a sort of CX bike and then possibly sell the roadie. So for now looking at tyre options.

Rode a bike with these on this morning in 40mm.

Awesome on tar, sand and hard pack gravel roads.Stay away from anything that's wet, muddy or slippery.

They roll very fast on tar :thumbup:  :thumbup:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-components/bike-tires/gravel-and-cyclocross-bike-tires/bontrager-gr1-team-issue-gravel-tire/p/24706/?colorCode=black

Rode a bike with these on this morning in 40mm.

Awesome on tar, sand and hard pack gravel roads.Stay away from anything that's wet, muddy or slippery.

They roll very fast on tar :thumbup:  :thumbup:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-components/bike-tires/gravel-and-cyclocross-bike-tires/bontrager-gr1-team-issue-gravel-tire/p/24706/?colorCode=black

Nice looks a bit lite the Conti Terraspeed.

I was just about to ask, do you really need hydraulic disk on a gravel bike?

I am looking to build a bike, but want to use an old groupset and mechanical brakes.

Is it worth investing in new hydraulic shifters?

Three years later .... same dilema and same question :

Are cable disc brakes okay for a gravel bike. More specifically, doing a reasonable speed on TAR would these do the job ?

Coming down Franschoek pass ??

EDIT I am ready the older replies, would still be good to get feedback on what is currently available, and its pros and cons

Edited by ChrisF

Carbon fibre seems to be very prominant in later gravel bikes ...

How does this gell with clamping luggage racks to the frame .....

Seems like a NO-NO !!

Three years later .... same dilema and same question :

Are cable disc brakes okay for a gravel bike. More specifically, doing a reasonable speed on TAR would these do the job ?

Coming down Franschoek pass ??

EDIT I am ready the older replies, would still be good to get feedback on what is currently available, and its pros and cons

I reckon for tarmac sections you'll be fine. For dodgier dirt sections, it gets hairy but it works.

Hydraulic brakes are faaaaaaar superior and avoid both fatigue and the strength needed to brake, and the security they provide over cables is phenomenal. But i wouldn't call it a deal breaker. You'll get by with cables, you'll enjoy riding. But Hydraulic brakesare better.

My opinion on brakes, I had a Gravel bike with Shimano 105 Hydraulic brakes, they were awesome, the feeling at the levers is really nice and they worked really well, had to sell that bike as my wife and I bought a house and I needed to free up some cash, been working on building up a monstercross bike now, I got a set of Avid BB7 road calipers and paired them with old Shimano 105 lever/brifter/sti whatever you call them, and also got some Jagwire compressionless brake housing, the power of that setup is every bit as powerful as the 105 Hydraulic brakes I had, I can lock up either wheel with little effort and the modulation is good as well, but they just dont feel as nice, I cant tell you what, but something just doesnt feel as good, but they work VERY well, I did a lot of reading up on mechanical disc brakes because my previous experience with them was horrid, but a lot of what I read the people say compressionless cable housing sorts out most of the issues that they had with mechanical discs.....

If I could choose, I would go hydraulic again, but having said that, a decent set of mechanical discs paired with compressionless cable housing is a good compromise

Looks epic, I remember friends mentioning a way to get over in this area, must be this pass.

However much I enjoy the advantages of my gravel bike, that looks like a route that would be more enjoyable on a FS mtb. (Partially because I'm too lazy to walk)

Did a loop yesterday over Gysmanshoek pass near Riversdal, parts of the descent into the interior left me wishing I was on my mtb!

quite honestly the only bike that would get over this section is a motocross bike in the hands of a very skilled rider.

So a gravel bike is fine for 98 of the 100km loop.  If I had my full sus I probably would have turned around and freewheeled home.

Nice looks a bit lite the Conti Terraspeed.

The Bontrager has smaller and shallower blocks on it and it’s quieter on the road.Rubber feels harder than the Conti.

The Terraspeed is better on looser ground and some single track.