Gravel bikes - what do you have and where did you buy it?

Myth

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just can't get on with these gravel bars, I don't like the look and I can't honestly say they make any difference at least on the type of gravel rides I do ... my other gravel bike has normal road bars and I prefer that so I've taken these off and fitted some standard carbon ones.

Not sure if it may have to do with the shape or how wide they are though but anyway I'll try these for a while then see?b81be2d3c55ba3a8d0515de6ea7330be.jpg89b1abc93aeceebd75556ef8f0d3e885.jpg

I agree with you, the flare on mine is too much, which in turn places the levers at a weird angle, when you’re riding in the hoods, they feel too close together, and in the drops I can’t reach the brake levers.

My bars are subtly flared at 12.5 degs I think. That gives me 46cm between the hoods yet 52cm between the tips of the bar ends. I've found that the best of both worlds, road-like on the hoods yet a little more open in the shoulders in the drops. Also very useful for clearance for a bar bag or roll bag.

I agree with you, the flare on mine is too much, which in turn places the levers at a weird angle, when you’re riding in the hoods, they feel too close together, and in the drops I can’t reach the brake levers.

post-45765-0-49719800-1618812536_thumb.jpg

So I made this out of parts in my bike bin. It is made from an old Silverback Surplus 26er. I did some re-structuring of the chainstay to allow for a big chain ring (42 oval on the front now) and keep the chain line decent. I still need to neaten up the carbon work a bit but I got impatient to build.

Juin Tech Cable/hydro calipers should stop it well and the 650b x 48C tires are BIG.

Came in at 8.6kg with pedals.

Bar tape to follow and the spare parts gravel commuter is born!

Secured a Cotic X rolling chassis today. Will post when the rest of my parts arrive around Wednesday.

Building up a SS.

Like the new profile pic welcome to the Cotic clan you might like it better than your Evil :w00t: , looking forward to build pics.

1gg.jpg

So I made this out of parts in my bike bin. It is made from an old Silverback Surplus 26er. I did some re-structuring of the chainstay to allow for a big chain ring (42 oval on the front now) and keep the chain line decent. I still need to neaten up the carbon work a bit but I got impatient to build.

Juin Tech Cable/hydro calipers should stop it well and the 650b x 48C tires are BIG.

You must have an amazing parts bin!! Very nice.

Like the new profile pic welcome to the Cotic clan you might like it better than your Evil :w00t: , looking forward to build pics.

Now now. My Evil is my baby. :D :D :D 

Just the tape left to do. Got some from Rapide this morning but I also have some nicer tape coming from Takealot tomorrow. 

Patience will get the better of me through. 

attachicon.gif1gg.jpg

Wow this is really nice... Well done

post-177909-0-30700700-1618849742_thumb.png

Done and dusted.

Cotic C frame with carbon fork

WTB Frequency i19 : Superstar wheels

WTB Nano 700x40 rubber

SRAM Levers into Hope V-Twin and X2 calipers

Shimano, Blackspire, Rapide drivetrain

FSA post and stem with Salsa Cowbell 3 bars

42x18 for now while I work out what i want to do with it in terms of riding.

Quick spin tonight. Fast and snappy but resilient and smooth like only steel can give you.

Medium size fits like a glove.

Wolfie what size frame is that? It looks massive!

So it's a large MTB frame and fits me like a glove with a straight bar however the gravel bar with 70mm extra reach is a bit of a stretch. I must admit the 40mm stem makes it very comfortable and manageable on the drops and hoods.

Very smart looking X. Not as smart as mine though...????

FF99BE5A-52DE-409A-ABA6-7A2198D3C830.png

Done and dusted.

WTB Nano 700x40 rubber

Quick spin tonight. Fast and snappy but resilient and smooth like only steel can give you.

So it's a large MTB frame and fits me like a glove with a straight bar however the gravel bar with 70mm extra reach is a bit of a stretch. I must admit the 40mm stem makes it very comfortable and manageable on the drops and hoods.

Yeah for gravel a shorter top tube is needed. That is why I moved away from the Singular.

FF99BE5A-52DE-409A-ABA6-7A2198D3C830.png

Done and dusted.

WTB Nano 700x40 rubber

Very cool - miss mine dearly