Gravel bikes - what do you have and where did you buy it?

Myth

Finally able to post something decent again here... This opportunity came along my way and I couldnt let it pass... Building it has been slow, really really slow both due to stock and budget but in the end it all came together from bits and bobs from here and there and without costing an arm and a leg and here I have a beaut of a ti monster.... This Litespeed started its life as a 26er Pisgah mtb but the geometry is just perfect to build a gravel bike / monstercross bike. 

So here it stands with some nice fat rubber in 27.5 x 2,2 for some lekker squish and fun times... I also have a set of 29er wheels with some 45c tires that fit equally well if the mood changes.... But the wheels currently fitted rolls pretty well so for now they will stay.

The groupset consist of Dura Ace shifters, Xt RD with Tanpan and GRX crank. Brake calipers is some TRP mechanical units with compressionless housings that works surprizingly well. Havnt ridden or built with Shimano in many years but had to use what was available and that suits the flat wallet but im really stoked at the end result. The left shiter is currently not functional but contemplating hooking it up to a dropper post if and when I can find something in 27.2 so still might evolve a bit from where it is now.... 

unnamed (1).jpg

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, BogusOne said:

Finally able to post something decent again here... This opportunity came along my way and I couldnt let it pass... Building it has been slow, really really slow both due to stock and budget but in the end it all came together from bits and bobs from here and there and without costing an arm and a leg and here I have a beaut of a ti monster.... This Litespeed started its life as a 26er Pisgah mtb but the geometry is just perfect to build a gravel bike / monstercross bike. 

So here it stands with some nice fat rubber in 27.5 x 2,2 for some lekker squish and fun times... I also have a set of 29er wheels with some 45c tires that fit equally well if the mood changes.... But the wheels currently fitted rolls pretty well so for now they will stay.

The groupset consist of Dura Ace shifters, Xt RD with Tanpan and GRX crank. Brake calipers is some TRP mechanical units with compressionless housings that works surprizingly well. Havnt ridden or built with Shimano in many years but had to use what was available and that suits the flat wallet but im really stoked at the end result. The left shiter is currently not functional but contemplating hooking it up to a dropper post if and when I can find something in 27.2 so still might evolve a bit from where it is now.... 

unnamed (1).jpg

that looks like it wants to ride and ride and ride!

lekker

On 6/10/2021 at 4:09 PM, splat said:

Wear the old ones, they are super legit!

And you aren't supposed to button it up anyway...

Ultimate List Of Gravel Bike Clothing & Apparel For Allroad Riding - Cycle  Travel Overload

Only people who were not around in the '80s can think this look is cool.

24 minutes ago, Baracuda said:

Only people who were not around in the '80s can think this look is cool.

I can confirm,  I was not around in the '80s and think this is cool. This sells me the gravel dream very effectively.

28 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I was around in the 80's and think this looks very very cool.....

As an idea, I just ran 200 miles in a flannel shirt. This is right up my alley

4BB0D264-2145-40FB-BA9A-5FDC2D73E13A.jpeg

54 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

4BB0D264-2145-40FB-BA9A-5FDC2D73E13A.jpeg

I remember watching these guys in '99 and he came bouncing out on stage spinning around crouched down jumping while they opened with Spin the Black Circle..... My wardrobe has not really evolved since the late 90s other than the evolution of pant baggyness and stretchy denim/corduroy.

This guy is love

• 2 months later...

Hi everybody. I Know this question has come up and has been discussed a couple of times already, sorry  :whistling:.

Can you guys give me some advice for mechanical brake calipers. They must be post mount (MTB style).

I Have a set that is flat mount but I don't want to use adapters and spacers and stuff and stuff........

The set that I have is actually for sale or swap if anyone is interested.

Here is a peek of what I'm busy with :ph34r:   

image0.jpeg

19 minutes ago, johnson said:

Hi everybody. I Know this question has come up and has been discussed a couple of times already, sorry  :whistling:.

Can you guys give me some advice for mechanical brake calipers. They must be post mount (MTB style).

I Have a set that is flat mount but I don't want to use adapters and spacers and stuff and stuff........

image0.jpeg

Here is what you need.... https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bike-brakes/493159/trp-spyre

Good looking bike ????

2 hours ago, johnson said:

image0.jpeg

I have a set of really neat, really good cable pull hydro calipers. PM.

Juin Tech

Drop me a DM if you are interested

21 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Juin Tech

Sent you message :D

On 8/17/2021 at 4:48 PM, Jewbacca said:

Juin Tech

Been looking at those, properly nice and well regarded. Actually would take these over and above full hydraulics, they even do four pots! 

My Cotic X steed, runs like a beast and got my grubby paws on one of the last ones here, also one of the few with a carbon fork. Kept the build relatively retro, think ‘modern classic’. 

Nearly sold her a while back. Unfortunately will be putting it back on the market.

9B2AE464-70BC-4BC7-AA38-3A5CFCA421A6.jpeg