Gravel bikes - what do you have and where did you buy it?

Myth

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/28/2022 at 1:09 PM, iammjcooke@gmail.com said:

Thanks so much for the input.

So a 42 on the front would add just that little bit extra?

It's more on the downhills where I can't always keep up but I've been fine on the flats with the 11-40 at the back (11 speed). Maybe I'll put a 42 on the front and look for a more road friendly rear option. 44 in front will be too big maybe

I have a 2x crank that is currently got a 39 on it in 1x mode. can't go smaller than that.

10/42 on the back.

not enough for me on the uphill and i guess if i took it racing then topend either.

I'm going to go 2x rather.

8 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

I have a 2x crank that is currently got a 39 on it in 1x mode. can't go smaller than that.

10/42 on the back.

not enough for me on the uphill and i guess if i took it racing then topend either.

Garbaruk do a 10/50 11 speed and you’ll have granny gears you need 

and before you fret about the cost, bear in mind it will do serious mileage 

Edited by Wayne pudding Mol
Extra info

12 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

10/42 on the back.

with the relative lack of 1x11 42t cassettes going around, and their cost...i'm also seriously considering doing the ugly and putting 2 rings up front. There are plenty of 11 speed road bike cassettes going around

1 hour ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

The scientists were so busy wondering whether they could, they forgot to ask whether they should

2" XC tyres in a steel fork, barely clears. 

image.jpg

Is that an Escapade?

25 minutes ago, Wayne pudding Mol said:

Garbaruk do a 10/50 11 speed and you’ll have granny gears you need 

and before you fret about the cost, bear in mind it will do serious mileage 

nice plan, but 2 issues.

I'm on 10spd

I have a medium cage derailleur that probably won't go further than that as it already has the goatlink.

as I already have the 2x shifter, I should be able to swap out the crank for something else.

I also assume that there are plenty of FD lying around making them essentially low cost.

11 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

nice plan, but 2 issues.

I'm on 10spd

I have a medium cage derailleur that probably won't go further than that as it already has the goatlink.

as I already have the 2x shifter, I should be able to swap out the crank for something else.

I also assume that there are plenty of FD lying around making them essentially low cost.

I know a guy who has some road bike derailleurs in a box... I'm sure he will give you one when you come to his house to pick up his wheel stand.

So, on the topic of gearing...
Anyone running a 11-40 cassette with a 2x11 GRX setup (with a Shimano stated max of 34 teeth on the rear)
Will the rear mech cope ?
Do I need a Wolftooth link thingy ?

• 2 weeks later...

This is my new dream machine. 

I’ve wanted a Curve GXR / Kevin of Steel for years and Mr Benkenstein finally had a used frame available.

It’s the perfect mix of used frame and wheels and new parts that I see being in my life for a long time!

Took it out for my first ride over 100km in ages, on a great route around the Midlands on Sunday, and it was perfect. 

Loving how the 650b x 2.25 Rekon Race option rolls and manages the rough stuff. 

The Ratio kit to make the Rival shifters work with the GX Eagle derailleur is flawless and the 40t combined with 10-52t at the back has serious range. 

Weird to say but I am enjoying a no suss steel bike even more than my fancy carbon  dual sus Stumpjumper.

30440E62-4FA5-457B-8808-DA60947BB8CA.jpeg

Edited by andrew5336

7 minutes ago, andrew5336 said:

I’ve wanted a Curve GXR / Kevin of Steel for years and Mr Benkenstein finally had a used frame available.

It’s the perfect mix of used frame and wheels and new parts that I see being in my life for a long time!

Took it out for my first ride over 100km on a great route around the Midlands on Sunday and it was perfect. 

Loving how the 650b x 2.25 Ardent Race option rolls and manages the rough stuff. 

The Ratio kit to make the Rival shifters work with the GX Eagle derailleur is flawless and the 40t combined with 10-52t at the back has serious range. 

Weird to say but I am enjoying a no suss steel bike even more than my fancy carbon  dual sus Stumpjumper.

Looks sweet!

3 hours ago, andrew5336 said:

Took it out for my first ride over 100km in ages, on a great route around the Midlands on Sunday, and it was perfect. 

Loving how the 650b x 2.25 Rekon Race option rolls and manages the rough stuff. 

Dude, that kicks ass, congrats! A steed I'd love to have in my arsenal for sure. 

Steel gravel bikes with fast rolling / meaty MTB rubber are the perfect do-it-all bike. You'll be surprised at what it (and you, with the right mindset) can tackle off the beaten path, while still being fun and responsive on mellow road sections. 

Exactly - hardly slower than the 700c bikes on the tar but geez it’s fun on the dirt, already ridden a bit of singletrack and one day soon I’ll try some of this…

• 5 weeks later...

So after a bit of fiddling, this is my gravel bike....

Velo Orange Neutrino Frameset

Hope Pro2 Evo Hubs laced to Spank Spoon 28 rims

20" x 2.25 Tubeless Vee crown gem tires

Shimano 2x11 Hydraulic groupset with the flat mount calipers swapped out for SLX pm

I'm sewing up some frame bags. It should be fully kitted out by the time Around the Pot hits us.

It has internal routing for a dropper so I'm considering that because whatever.... The thing is a hoot

image.jpeg.bbf8c147edafb8128203561c1ca85785.jpeg

Edited by Jewbacca

On 4/22/2022 at 1:37 PM, splat said:

So, on the topic of gearing...
Anyone running a 11-40 cassette with a 2x11 GRX setup (with a Shimano stated max of 34 teeth on the rear)
Will the rear mech cope ?
Do I need a Wolftooth link thingy ?

I run a 11-42 with the 2 x GRX setup on my Checkpoint. The rear derailleur copes fine but the total range across both front rings is beyond its reach so you cannot cross-chain it.