Gravel bikes - what do you have and where did you buy it?

Myth

On 3/2/2023 at 4:04 PM, Jbr said:

This is starting to look proper now ! Had my axs moved from the mtb to the gravel bike with some rivals hoods.

8.9 kg with a lot of sealant in the tyres ☺️☺️ Not sure it explains the +300g though

B23D0D52-D675-4220-BC11-DA9DB938246F.jpeg

Soooo, reviving this thread a little bit, the Siablo is going back to standard-ish trip and will be for sale soon with the stock wheels, option between xcadey or apex crank, apex 11s groupset and it will keep the upgraded carbon wheelset and barstem, so it should definitely stay under 9kg.

In the meantime I moved the mtb groupset and the deep wheels on a new frameset 😍

Right now it’s over 8kg with pedals, cages and garmin, but I have 42c pathfinders on and a GX cassette. I already have a plan to get it below 8kg in gravel trim, I must weigh it with the road wheels I think it will be ridiculous 😜

IMG_0233.jpeg.6f680fc6aa7e2a047e2f083e25c9570d.jpeg

IMG_0221.jpeg

IMG_0231.jpeg

IMG_0232.jpeg

Edited by Jbr

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Jbr said:

Soooo, reviving this thread a little bit, the Siablo is going back to standard-ish trip and will be for sale soon with the stock wheels, option between xcadey or apex crank, apex 11s groupset and it will keep the upgraded carbon wheelset and barstem, so it should definitely stay under 9kg.

In the meantime I moved the mtb groupset and the deep wheels on a new frameset 😍

Right now it’s over 8kg with pedals, cages and garmin, but I have 42c pathfinders on and a GX cassette. I already have a plan to get it below 8kg in gravel trim, I must weigh it with the road wheels I think it will be ridiculous 😜

IMG_0233.jpeg.6f680fc6aa7e2a047e2f083e25c9570d.jpeg

IMG_0221.jpeg

IMG_0231.jpeg

IMG_0232.jpeg

Superbe vélo!

The spirit of gravel has you, Bruuuu.

• 3 weeks later...

Considering throwing my Giant Anthems 650B carbon wheels on my Momsen. Whats your thoughts on running 650B on a gravel bike setup - pros/cons? One thing it does make the bike look bit*%ching.WhatsAppImage2024-01-16at09_10.20_60e84671.jpg.bc8c929bb85125b990fe653a8d7186f4.jpg

1 hour ago, Charity85 said:

Considering throwing my Giant Anthems 650B carbon wheels on my Momsen. Whats your thoughts on running 650B on a gravel bike setup - pros/cons? One thing it does make the bike look bit*%ching.WhatsAppImage2024-01-16at09_10.20_60e84671.jpg.bc8c929bb85125b990fe653a8d7186f4.jpg

Just a heads-up that my take is based on fairly limited experience on a gravel bike with 650b wheels, so you might get more in-depth insights from other folks who've had a bit more time on them.

I must say, I noticed the extra comfort the 2.1 tyres brought to the table with a 650b setup. The bike felt noticeably steadier on the rougher tracks, especially when stacked up against the usual 700c 40mm tyres I run on my gravel bike.

For bike packing and ultra events where comfort is key, I’d probably lean towards the 650b again. However, for races or rides where it’s all about speed, I'd stick with my trusty 700c 40mm setup.

14 minutes ago, Dappere said:

Just a heads-up that my take is based on fairly limited experience on a gravel bike with 650b wheels, so you might get more in-depth insights from other folks who've had a bit more time on them.

I must say, I noticed the extra comfort the 2.1 tyres brought to the table with a 650b setup. The bike felt noticeably steadier on the rougher tracks, especially when stacked up against the usual 700c 40mm tyres I run on my gravel bike.

For bike packing and ultra events where comfort is key, I’d probably lean towards the 650b again. However, for races or rides where it’s all about speed, I'd stick with my trusty 700c 40mm setup.

Thanks my thought process exactly, and it appear the frame can even push 2.2 for extra cushion. In the pic I had 2.35 on and other than front rubbing on the fender there was leke space in the fork. Have a sleeker profile 2.25 I want to throw on for a test having end caps being made today

Edited by Charity85

1 minute ago, Charity85 said:

Thanks my thought process exactly, and it appear the frame can even push 2.2 for extra cushion.

My gravel bike has its limitations, accommodating only up to 2.1 tyres on a 650b wheel.

Do keep us updated on your experience with the 2.2 tyres. I'm very keen to hear how they fare.

17 hours ago, Charity85 said:

Final product Sprocket and Jack sorted me with the hub end plugs. Taking it out tomorrow for a first spin. Remarkably was able to still comfortably get the 2.3 tires in.

IMG-20240119-WA0053.jpeg

Considering you had the maiden voyage this morning, what was your initial impression?

On 1/20/2024 at 11:56 AM, Dappere said:

Considering you had the maiden voyage this morning, what was your initial impression?

Was leke loved the extra confort and stability through the rougher stuff, although was running a heavy profile 2.3 spez purgatory tire, I think with more XC orientated 2.2 it will fly.