MTB Pedals explained

JuddMan

Hi guys,

please can I get a bit of assistance, I have searched the forums, and whilst there is a lot of topics advising what pedals to buy, it is not the information I am looking for.

Could anyone please (pictures would also help), explain to me the differences between certain types of pedals? e.g. Clipless shimano vs eggbeater and the like. I have been cycling now for a handful of months and feel like I am ready to move away from flats.

Really appreciate the help. :thumbup:

Edit: also what is the pro vs con about each could also help

Edited by Juddvdb

i think shimano SPD is going to win most of the time.

i personally have moved to crankbros candy's - i just hated the grinding feeling of metal on metal with SPDs, but thatw as just me. definitely not as durable

i think shimano SPD is going to win most of the time.

i personally have moved to crankbros candy's - i just hated the grinding feeling of metal on metal with SPDs, but thatw as just me. definitely not as durable

My LBS will agree with that, when I asked his exact words where, "They the best pedals, don't buy them"

Unfortunately as great as they are, they a buy, buy, buy solution. Seen a few guys on here mention they had to do the whole bearing replacement kit thing every 6 to 8 months.

Scott Scale 960 (2017)

MTB Vids: ltstyt.be/@remelehane

Flats vs clip less really depends on your riding style, there is no actual reason to move if you are confident on flats, clip less are not better, they different, and while there are actual differences, scientifically speaking they are insufficient to exceed personal preference.

I prefer clips, but frankly I have never tried flats. There are some minor potential performance gains with clip less, but at some costs. One I do know that was pointed out, is climbing, especially on long climbs, if you loose traction on the climb, the clip actually gets in the way of getting going again, at those points I kick off with my midfoot to tray and push off again before trying to clip back in, which is not always easy.

Downhill on the other hand there is one less thing to worry about, unless you crash, I have crashed twice already where the bike fell in such away that I was trapped because of the clips, I needed someone to lift the bike so that I could u clip and get up, while I have crashed and bailed a few times and clipped out as it becomes quite instinctual, **** happens.

Then your other problem is, its tricky to find decent pedals that allow you to ride either clipped or unclipped, maybe a day when you just wanna cruise round the hood maybe, I have not had issues with that, I'm always clipped, but it's not something that gives you the flexibility.

I found https://youtu.be/zFY4ZyX9RuU to be a nice one, lifelong flat rider tries clips for the first time and the differences he felt while ridding.

Scott Scale 960 (2017)

MTB Vids: ltstyt.be/@remelehane