Touring food

Sepia

This was one of my major issues on my first tour. I will be following this post.

Hey Copperhead I see you are back.  How did it go?

looks like the far east spam bot is allergic to this thread, and a few others.

Edited by Capricorn

Thanks guys, plenty of help coming up.

It won't take much to beat tuna and futurlife I know but hell, it is convenient.

Time for a change then.

You can eat what you want to eat but I'm not going on any trips where you are doing the catering

Like all adventure trips be it 4x4 hiking or riding you plan around water

Freeze dried meals are the best and lightest and most convenient

If weight is not an issue NomNoms line of wet food is impressive as well

I read somewhere on a touring blog that butter has amazing caloric value per weight.

Maybe incorporate that into your futuretuna concoction (a good idea to taste test at home first.)

Are you going so far away from civilization that water is unavailable?

I reiterate: Couscous. Mix half a cup of couscous with a teaspoon of Ina Paarman's stock powder and prepack per meal. Improve taste by adding chopped dried fruit of your choice, but keep volume to just more than half a cup. When hungry, add an equal measure of boiling water, cover and wait for 5 minutes. Stir with fork and chow.  Starch done. Serves two. 

No unnecessary water boiled (water and fuel saved).

• 4 weeks later...

So, with the help of this thread and all the advice given, I was able to arrange a decent culinary experience for a change.  With all the ideas put into one I did the following......

Future life in a mug early morning and drunk down fast followed by coffee with smatterings of Future Life as I did not wash the cup until I came to a dam or river.

Lunch was John West, rolls and plenty cheese.

Couscous and soup mix, cheese and droewors at night (Bedford has the best droewors I have ever had)

In between my snacks were biscuits, more wors and a trail mix I made up at home after buying the ingredients from the VegCity chain store.  Worked out very cheaply, even for a cheap skate like me,  portioned into packets per day.

There was also a smattering of instant noodles.

Drank water only until lunch time and then went onto the Jeukendorf (sp) mix I had prepared in packets from midday onwards. Carried eight liters or water and filled up when I could.

This worked for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

If I knew about your trip beforehand I should have brought you some decent mielie pap. (I have my own mill on the farm) It is minimally sifted and contains all the goodies, the protein and fat containing germ is not sifted out. Then again taking mielie meal down into KZN I would have felt a bit like a rhino horn smuggler.

Shocked to read that a Durban boytjie like yourself dont eat curry!.? I am from the Freestate and enjoys a decent Durban curry anytime!

Is decent water such a problem that you need to carry 8 litres at a time?

Hope your trip was a great and memorable one. Care to share some more, on this or on another thread?

So, with the help of this thread and all the advice given, I was able to arrange a decent culinary experience for a change. With all the ideas put into one I did the following......

Future life in a mug early morning and drunk down fast followed by coffee with smatterings of Future Life as I did not wash the cup until I came to a dam or river.

Lunch was John West, rolls and plenty cheese.

Couscous and soup mix, cheese and droewors at night (Bedford has the best droewors I have ever had)

In between my snacks were biscuits, more wors and a trail mix I made up at home after buying the ingredients from the VegCity chain store. Worked out very cheaply, even for a cheap skate like me, portioned into packets per day.

There was also a smattering of instant noodles.

Drank water only until lunch time and then went onto the Jeukendorf (sp) mix I had prepared in packets from midday onwards. Carried eight liters or water and filled up when I could.

This worked for me.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Feck n hell, 8L of water, that's quite a lot of weight, where did you store it and how did you have any other space/strength to lug anything else with you?

Feck n hell, 8L of water, that's quite a lot of weight, where did you store it and how did you have any other space/strength to lug anything else with you?

No water available for first two days. 3L on the bike, 3L in Camelback (drank this first) and 2L in the panniers. Could have done with more.

It is big country out there and it was hot on occasions. No free miles, the hills were endless.

You can eat what you want to eat but I'm not going on any trips where you are doing the catering

Like all adventure trips be it 4x4 hiking or riding you plan around water

Freeze dried meals are the best and lightest and most convenient

If weight is not an issue NomNoms line of wet food is impressive as well

investigating this one, thanks for the tip.

(says the dude who just did a 24hr Adventure race on future life, dried fruit, sweets and salami sticks)...

For breakfasts I usually eat instant oats.

Lunches are normally pretty sketchy, I kind of snack throughout the day.

Supper is usually tuna and 2 minute noodles or instant pizza made using wraps, cheese, tuna and whatever else comes to hand...