Cajee's and cheap bikes

dirtrider

After reading the comment in one of the other threads I though we should start a new one .

I wanna ask TechGuy and the other LBS okes on the forum if they know how these people manage to give such good prices on certain items ? Are they building a client base with the intention to up prices later again ? , Black Market ? (am I allowed to say that ?) , or do they just get bulk discounts ?

I like to support my LBS , but some of those prices are just to good to ignore .

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats the after sales service like? Whats the point of saving money on some products if you have to go to another bike shop to get it correctly setup etc. I prefer to pay a bit extra at established shops where they can give sound advice and know what they talking about, not just trying to cut and deal an'all

I agree to pay a "extra" bit more , but to be honest we past that point !! Apparently their service do suck but the service at my LBS is very good and not to expensive !!

DR, I think part of the setup is bulk pricing.  Cajees has quite a few shops all over Gauteng.  Other way of cutting the prices is the service in the workshop.  I know from previous experience that the workshop staff at some of the shops are a bit below par.

Just remember that those blokes will sell their mother if the price is right.

Can be that on some products they have a low markup and on some a high markup.

Or even direct imports?

Well, I know for a fact that cajees gets a bulk discount for one, and they are actually making next to no profit on some of their stuff. you see what they do is mark stuff up to beyond the reccomended retail price then if you quibble a bit they drop the price. they kinda make their money off people who don't question the price.

as for the after sales back up, its just non existent. and I know that it annoys a lot of lbs's off when a customer goes to cajees and buys a bike/ other product and walks into their shop and asks for said bike/product to be set up.

I agree fully with Buddah, rather pay just that little bit extra in the first place.

I buy stuff that I can fit and look after myself from wherever I get the best price. Have had very good service from Cajees (Oakdene) when I have had issues. Have however built up a good relationship wuth them over time. Only have emergency repairs done by them though!

For all major purchases e.g. bikes, forks, shocks etc. I go to my LBS. Also repairs we can't handle at home (not much anymore, have been collecting appropriate good tools over time) I have done by my LBS.

I also agrre with that BUT are we talking about paying a little bit extra here ? Is that price that Thug mentioned on the RDS frame not half the price than what you would pay for anywhere else ? ?Make no mistake I support my LBS across the road a lot even though I sometimes pay more but I think it would be very stupid to buy an item from him if I can get it at half the price somewhere else ? And I am not talking about a water bottle cage !!

The biggest problem with Cajee's is the advice. I am no guru but have been in the shop and heard the sales assistants give absolute rubbish advice just to sell a product.

I agree fully with Buddah' date=' rather pay just that little bit extra in the first place.

[/quote']

How much is a "little bit extra" ?

I gave my LBS the opportunity of "matching" (or getting close to) Cajees

price on my bike, but they were R 1.5k out, so....... I bought my bike

from Cajees & use my LBS for servicing, buying spares etc.

I don't like going into any shop where I have to enter into a 10-minute conversation just to find out how much a bike costs and then when I say 'phew' I get asked how much I want to spend and the discussion has to start all over again.

Not long ago Cajees near Eastgate had a Raleigh dual susp at over R1000 more than Raleigh's own recomended website listed price.

I don't think Cajees is any cheaper in the long run

Agree with DR, I worked hard for the money and want to get the best value possible. if I don't need advice and know what I want I check for the best price (very often Cajees BTW). If I need advice or expect future service LBS here I come and yes I have spent more at my LBS than anywhere else!

Big%20smile

I don't like Cajee's & yes I am allowed to say that---their service is hopeless/they have buying power hence they can afford cheaper pricing/I tested the market when I priced my new groupset..Cajees could not match what I got it for even with that buying power...BUT alas if they were to match it or came in even R50 cheaper I'd have taken it...

I support my LBS like DR said but hey cheap is cheap---first if I'd tested the market but I have played them up against each other for the best price I could get---Thumbs%20Down

Kinda reminds me when I bought my bakkie--I visited every bank for the best interest rate & mentioned what the other would give me..eventually I got 9%....all the way from 16.5%....shop around !!!

"DTThumbs%20Up"

Dont be fooled by shops like Cajees. I found what they do is put a bit of fat into the displayed price, then sell it to you at a "nice discount" which makes you feel you are getting a huge bargain, but you end up paying no better than other shops. I got my indoor trainer from Saley in Vereeniging and they are not a major chain store like Cajees and Cajees could not match them.

I stay as far away from Cajees as possible. Think some of their "good" prices are for rather older stock. As I found out with my first 58cm Trek, I ride a 49-51cm frame. And my cousin used to work for them, at 1%commission, and what he new of bicycles and related issues, scary, very scary. Nope, if they're the last place to find bicycles etc at, I'll ratcher build a bike myself. A newcomer to the sport is alway gonna loose out at Cajees.

I always try and support my LBS, but then I really do bitch and moan like I work at the docks at their 'shelf price'...and they always give me a really good discount. Sometimes when they just can't match someone like CWC's prices, I still take the stuff to them to be fitted, and gladly pay the labour...