Accuracy of floor pump readings!

NotSoBigBen

Anyone else notice that floor pump pressure gauges are not that accurate? Have used some different pumps but have checked with a digital car pressure gauge (one that I use on my motorbike since petrol station ones are as unreliable!) and they mostly seem to over read by anything from 4PSI and up!

On an MTB that can make a major difference as you know!

Well, mine has developed a permanent unreliability, I think my pump is kaput!

But it is broken so a bit off topic...

...a bit off topic...

What we on the hub live for!! Off topic is great. Nothing like someone taking the butt end of a conversation and running in the opposite direction with it!

TNT12006-10-17 03:38:25

I measure tyre pressure with thumb !!! Some MW oke gave me lotsa grieve for doing something that stupid but I still stand by my method of checking tyre pressures !!

One of these days youe will be able to check you tire pressure via blueteeth on your cell. You can them buy some "Air time" to fill it if it is low. Or if you are over inflated, the tire offcoarse not you personally, you can sponsor someone who is one of you 3 friends or family.

Ok so up to now the comments have been about as useful as a glass eye!

Where are the more techno savvy dudes/dudettes?

Ok so up to now the comments have been about as useful as a glass eye!

Hey now. Glass eyes are plenty usefull. Remember when your mom told you not to play with something cause you could put someone's eye out? Well, imagine you had put someone's eye out? Ha!

I measure tyre pressure with thumb !!! Some MW oke gave me lotsa grieve for doing something that stupid but I still stand by my method of checking tyre pressures !!

tell us more...

It will be a bit tricky to explain the whole procedure here as a lot of "look here" is involved . But in short :- Grab tyre and with your thumb apply pressure to the sidewall of tyre . If you manage to press the tyre in by 2.5mm you need to add at least 1 bar of pressure using a floor pump with a faulty gauge . If you thumb goes "CRACK" then maybe you should lay of the recovery drinks and then also deflate a bit . The perfect pressure should be around 1mm at 50% of power applied to thumb used to test the presure .

Why not use the FREE Airmax tyre pressure tester from the October edition of Bicycling magazine

it's accurate from 2 bar up

Why not use the FREE Airmax tyre pressure tester from the October edition of Bicycling magazine

it's accurate from 2 bar up

No!

Because it will probably work and then it will be more crap to carry in my Mule!Dead

I prefer DR's finger methodClap

The accuracy of your pump's pressure gauge is irrelevant - as long as it is consistent that is all that matters.  It's not like there are UCI rules on tyre pressure that you have to conform to. 

Presumably you have arrived at some pressure reading on your pump that works for you.  It doesn't matter if your pump is under-reading or over-reading as long as the same actual pressure gives the same reported pressure from one day to the next that is all that matters.

Apologies for what is intended as a sensible reply.  I'll try not to do it again.

The accuracy of your pump's pressure gauge is irrelevant - as long as it is consistent that is all that matters.  It's not like there are UCI rules on tyre pressure that you have to conform to. 

Presumably you have arrived at some pressure reading on your pump that works for you.  It doesn't matter if your pump is under-reading or over-reading as long as the same actual pressure gives the same reported pressure from one day to the next that is all that matters.

Apologies for what is intended as a sensible reply.  I'll try not to do it again.

Hey, using logic is not fair!!

Guess that's why it is important to always weigh yourself on the same scale when you try to lose weight! For comparison purposes more than anything else.

Nicely put bikemonster!

Only flaw in that is when you forget your pump and loan a mates at an event! But hey don't forget and there's no problem!

I like things hard....whether I feel it with my thumb or my hand...Censored..all this talk makes me horny...gauges are unreliable so I go on what I can get out of the pump..generally I doubt we far off the intended / recommended pressures anyway..

"DTThumbs%20Up"