Juicy Seven Brake Bleed - Pretoria

Good Morning Guys,

I have a bike with old Avid Juicy Seven brakes. I was considering buying a bleed kit, but I figured it will just save me time and effort to have the LBS do it for me real quick since I lack the experience to do it efficiently. 

Have you guys got any suggestions in the Menlo Park / Brooklyn area or relatively close-by for mechanics who could do this for me quick and cheap?

Cheers \M/

Good Morning Guys,

I have a bike with old Avid Juicy Seven brakes. I was considering buying a bleed kit, but I figured it will just save me time and effort to have the LBS do it for me real quick since I lack the experience to do it efficiently. 

Have you guys got any suggestions in the Menlo Park / Brooklyn area or relatively close-by for mechanics who could do this for me quick and cheap?

Cheers \M/

It's not that cheap to have it done. The second time you bleed it you'll have already saved. And bleeding them are suuuuuuuuper easy.

There are a few bleed kits for sale in the classifieds. Thank me later.

just buy a big syringe and some clear hose from a pet shop and reverse bleed it, takes 5mins and costs under R50 and then you have a new skill set, remember one day you may need to bleed brakes and not have access to a bike store.

This is a skill set that I was wanting to work on for some time.  Have looked at some GCN videos and it seems pretty easy to do from what I see. Having three bikes in the household with hydraulic brakes it makes economical sense to work on the skill set and this morning it became a priority.  I noticed on my commute that all of a sudden my back brakes are soft on the first pull of the lever and then becomes normal.  I can only assume that it is somehow some air in the system.  Pretty sure it is normal as the brakes have not been bled in three years.  Became progressively worse on my way to work.

This is a skill set that I was wanting to work on for some time.  Have looked at some GCN videos and it seems pretty easy to do from what I see. Having three bikes in the household with hydraulic brakes it makes economical sense to work on the skill set and this morning it became a priority.  I noticed on my commute that all of a sudden my back brakes are soft on the first pull of the lever and then becomes normal.  I can only assume that it is somehow some air in the system.  Pretty sure it is normal as the brakes have not been bled in three years.  Became progressively worse on my way to work.

Yep. Bleed brakes every year at least.

Yah! I will get there, to do this. 

Thanx. Yes I actually did find this video yesterday and watched it. 

It's overwhelming the amount of people who say "Just bleed them yourself" on this forum. Maybe I must just take the plunge. 

The thing is though that I need those little screws that go into the Avid specific bleed ports. If I had to make this kit myself, where do I get them? 

I will check the classifieds in a bit. I do agree however that this is a good skill to have. 

I did call Hotspot Cycles, and they charge R100 per brake to bleed them. Which seems very little IMO.

Yah! I will get there, to do this. 

Thanx. Yes I actually did find this video yesterday and watched it. 

It's overwhelming the amount of people who say "Just bleed them yourself" on this forum. Maybe I must just take the plunge. 

The thing is though that I need those little screws that go into the Avid specific bleed ports. If I had to make this kit myself, where do I get them? 

I will check the classifieds in a bit. I do agree however that this is a good skill to have. 

I did call Hotspot Cycles, and they charge R100 per brake to bleed them. Which seems very little IMO.

Well I had a quick look and kits sell here for about 15€ which would be about R220.  So on your third time you do it you will be saving R100 a shot.

Well I had a quick look and kits sell here for about 15€ which would be about R220.  So on your third time you do it you will be saving R100 a shot.

Found the Professional Avid brake bleeding kit from a fellow hubber for R500.

So I'm gonna take the plunge. I know these Juicy brakes are killer brakes, so even if I don't keep the frame forever, I can still reuse these brakes on future builds. 

So I'm gonna take the plunge. I know these Juicy brakes are killer brakes, so even if I don't keep the frame forever, I can still reuse these brakes on future builds. 

If you have not already , cogent industries have bleed kits for sale for quite cheap.

it's worth while to know how to do it 

You won't be sorry!

Those little screws that you need for attaching to the system you can get from your local nursery.

Those connectors to connect the thin plastic pipe to the thicker pipe of the irrigation system work like a dream. The thread part fits onto the brake system and the slip on side goes onto the hose.

They grip well and can't damage the thread on the brake.

Edited by porqui