Quality of Bike Service from Bike Shops

daniemare

HI All

This is not a rant, but an effort to understand whether my expectations of Bike Shop work on my bicycle are not to high.

Here is a summary of my experience over the last 2 years

1 - Full Service to get a Bike 70.3 Race Ready (this fact was stated at check in) > Chain never re-lubed. I was still a bit of a bike novice and only realized this when the umpteenth person told me to urgently get that lubed as I struggled up the hill in East London (Stellenbosch Shop)

2 - Ceased Rear Mountain Bike Disc (my doing) > Advice was to replace rear caliper. This was done and I was called to come and collect. But as I walked out of the shop the rear wheel dragged behind me, worst than when dropped off (different Stellenbosch shop)

3 - Loose Handle Bar Bolts > Quick Pop In into a Cycle Lab before closing the day before 94.7. I flew in and wanted a cycle shop to check all nuts and bolts as I took some of it apart for flying. I observed how they quickly went over all of the bolts, without a torque wrench. I specifically said I was here for it to be done correctly as I could have done it by hand as well (I did not own a torque wrench then). Manager said his guys can feel the torque. I insisted on the wrench, which they then did, only to discover that 2 of the 4 handle bar bolts was not fastened at all back home

4 - Fit new Tyres to Mountain Bike (Tubeless) - R375. > Due to injury I did not ride immediately. A month or so later, discovered that I cannot even pump the wheels beyond 2 bar before they explode of the rims with Stans all over the show.  Take bike to 4th Stellenbosch shop only to be pointed out how extremely wavy the rim type was fixed to the rim, prevented proper seating.

5 - Last shop in Stellenbosch fixing the above problem, put tyre on in wrong rotational direction (but this guy did the job for me for free, so I am not to disappointing)

Is this just normal and the level of quality I should expect from bike shops, or what? I went to 5 shops! I am trying to understand what expectations I should have?

PS, I went back to Shop 1 and 2 and they just blamed the guy working in the back. That why I did not take the bike back as I hate owners who do that

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want it done propperly do it yourself.

I have had similar experiences such as crank bolts not being retightened only for crank to fly off mid ride, tyres installed in wrong rotational direction, stem bolts undertightened, top caps undertigtened resulting in headset play, organic brake pads fitted when I asked for metal pads, I can go on and on. And this also at various shops. And you don't think to double check everything aftera service because, hey, it's what you just paid good money for!

Basically I try avoid taking my bike in for the small things and rather do it myself. For bigger things (or those things I don't have tools for eg: pressing bearings) I take it in to a mechanic with which I have built a relationship and trust. For suspension I send my stuff in to Jacques at Cogent Industries.

It's dissapointing that this is what happens, but your experience is all too common.

If you want it done propperly do it yourself.

This!

I have only ever had issues when taking my bike in. I have since done all the work myself and then it's only yourself to blame if it's not done properly.

At the end of the day, you love you bike, so you will put love and care in when servicing your bike. When the mechanic works on your bike at the shop, he just wants to get to the next bike in the line (no attention to detail).

If every person had this experience at every bike shop, as is implied, how come they are still open and operating? #SMH

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Seems like that's par for the course these days. My experience of the last bike I took in for fixing (it was damaged in an accident and they had to replace a bunch of stuff so not just a service):

• After they bled the brakes, the rear wheel barely rotated
  • While sorting that out, found that the rear disk was not tightened on to the hub properly (center-lock disk) [there was a new rim on the hub after I turned the old one into a taco]
  • About 3 km in to the first ride, the shifting cable came out of the rear derailleur [they replaced the rear derailleur]

And this was from a very well respected bike shop in JHB.

After years of poor service I slowly learnt to do it myself. I now do 90% of all work myself, but some jobs I take to 1 of 3 mechanics.

The 1st is a suspension expert. He looks after my mtb shock, fork and dropper seatpost only. He once replaced suspension bearings too. His shop is primarily a mechanical workshop, NOT a retail shop! Whatever else our mtbs need, I do myself.

The 2nd one is an expert in classic bikes with a workshop backed up by an incredible inventory of hens teeth parts and an in depth knowledge of old bikes. He builds the DJR classics, but I service them. 

The 3rd is an expert in building, repairing and servicing all bikes. Again, his business is NOT selling stuff. He has done anything from full ground up restorations for me, to minor jobs when I simply don't have the time to do it myself (yes, it happens). I'll take both road and mtbs to him for specific jobs, but regular repairs, servicing and maintenance I do myself.

In all 3 cases, I gladly pay good money, because they consistently do a better job than I can!

My experience has been that most regular retail bike shops who have a mechanic or 2 and a workshop, sooner or later tend to disappoint. Over the years I have come across a few exceptions, and I supported those, but then, sooner or later the good mechanic moves on, perhaps get a better job or start a business of his own? The shop gets a new inexperienced one, or the half trained helper takes over.....and your bike gets mistreated!

HI All

This is not a rant, but an effort to understand whether my expectations of Bike Shop work on my bicycle are not to high.

Here is a summary of my experience over the last 2 years

1 - Full Service to get a Bike 70.3 Race Ready (this fact was stated at check in) > Chain never re-lubed. I was still a bit of a bike novice and only realized this when the umpteenth person told me to urgently get that lubed as I struggled up the hill in East London (Stellenbosch Shop)

2 - Ceased Rear Mountain Bike Disc (my doing) > Advice was to replace rear caliper. This was done and I was called to come and collect. But as I walked out of the shop the rear wheel dragged behind me, worst than when dropped off (different Stellenbosch shop)

3 - Loose Handle Bar Bolts > Quick Pop In into a Cycle Lab before closing the day before 94.7. I flew in and wanted a cycle shop to check all nuts and bolts as I took some of it apart for flying. I observed how they quickly went over all of the bolts, without a torque wrench. I specifically said I was here for it to be done correctly as I could have done it by hand as well (I did not own a torque wrench then). Manager said his guys can feel the torque. I insisted on the wrench, which they then did, only to discover that 2 of the 4 handle bar bolts was not fastened at all back home

4 - Fit new Tyres to Mountain Bike (Tubeless) - R375. > Due to injury I did not ride immediately. A month or so later, discovered that I cannot even pump the wheels beyond 2 bar before they explode of the rims with Stans all over the show.  Take bike to 4th Stellenbosch shop only to be pointed out how extremely wavy the rim type was fixed to the rim, prevented proper seating.

5 - Last shop in Stellenbosch fixing the above problem, put tyre on in wrong rotational direction (but this guy did the job for me for free, so I am not to disappointing)

Is this just normal and the level of quality I should expect from bike shops, or what? I went to 5 shops! I am trying to understand what expectations I should have?

PS, I went back to Shop 1 and 2 and they just blamed the guy working in the back. That why I did not take the bike back as I hate owners who do that

If you live in stellies, rather just take the time to drive to slummies and take the bike to Williams bikes shop.

The very reason I do almost everything myself...

Leftys will go to the shop for services, RS shocks will do myself.

I just need to learn to bleed the hydraulic lockout on the Scalpel that locks and unlocks the Lefty and the rear shock.

I have peace of mind when I ride, been working on my own bikes since my very first Mongoose SuperGoose in the 80's.

I must say I also do most of the day to day work on my bikes myself, besides things like brake bleeding and fork/shock services that is.

I do it more because I enjoy it than bike shop experiences though

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

The only advice I can give you is pick one bike shop, get to know the owner (who is also the mechanic) well and stick with that bike shop guy. That way you can tell him to his face what a **** he is when things go wrong.how much you appreciate the good work he does.

Fixed

Ooh... so that's what I've been doing wrong all these years. If I told my local mackie how much I appreciated him he'll think I'm coming out the closet. He works optimally with insults and the odd complimentary packet of droe wors ^_^