Round vs Oval Chainring

Demetri

Don't have a cadence sensor, just a Garmin Vivoactive 4 I ride with, not really sure how accurate it is but it has good reviews. Just like the speedo on any car there is probably always some room for error. I am used to higher cadence due to a knee injury I picked up in 2018. Ever since then I ride at a higher cadence to put less pressure on the knee. Slowly been building up strength to ride at a lower cadence and putting down more power, but obviously do not want to rush it and screw up the knee again.

Makes sense. The 10t should benefit you big time. The jump for me from my second lowest to 10t does feel significant. Checked my last few rides at various trails (Hennops, Avianto, Cradle Moon and Northern Farm) and I haven't exceeded 44km/h at any of them, with the majority being in the region of 39 - 40km/h max speed.

Is a 10s cog available for Shimano/Sunrace?

As a roadie (90% of the time), any time there’s an opportunity for a race to the next “point on the route”, it’s the only time I would need a bigger gear. Most other times it’s simply just cruising along. So I would only need a top gear about 5% of the ride.

However, when I was in the Western Cape, the 11t was seldom lay used and granny was more vocal.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive now done just over 1000km on my black ovals.  Must say.  I love them more and more.

Don't have a cadence sensor, just a Garmin Vivoactive 4 I ride with, not really sure how accurate it is but it has good reviews. Just like the speedo on any car there is probably always some room for error. I am used to higher cadence due to a knee injury I picked up in 2018. Ever since then I ride at a higher cadence to put less pressure on the knee. Slowly been building up strength to ride at a lower cadence and putting down more power, but obviously do not want to rush it and screw up the knee again.

Makes sense. The 10t should benefit you big time. The jump for me from my second lowest to 10t does feel significant. Checked my last few rides at various trails (Hennops, Avianto, Cradle Moon and Northern Farm) and I haven't exceeded 44km/h at any of them, with the majority being in the region of 39 - 40km/h max speed.

so you're spinning along at around 110-115 rpm cadence all the time? I think thats going to cause more knee injuries especially when producing enough power for 50km/hr

so you're spinning along at around 110-115 rpm cadence all the time? I think thats going to cause more knee injuries especially when producing enough power for 50km/hr

I would love to maintain a 50km/h speed throughout my ride :).... Maybe in my dreams.

Where is Johan Bornman to enlighten us on technical stuff? The hub is so dark and boring without the experts!

I would love to maintain a 50km/h speed throughout my ride :).... Maybe in my dreams.

what i'm suggesting is that the physiological expenditure at that cadence and speed is not going to be efficient so you likely can't maintain 50km/hr for very long..

Whats your average cadence on the 1) flats and 2) climbs?

Where is Johan Bornman to enlighten us on technical stuff? The hub is so dark and boring without the experts!

Since the UCI added the lawyers lips to the sock height, he has to find something else to bodge.

91f5ad45f8d497975baed61c686e5665.jpg

Since the UCI added the lawyers lips to the sock height, he has to find something else to bodge.

91f5ad45f8d497975baed61c686e5665.jpg

Calf length socks that won’t fall off will be an absolute winner. Especially for those who have non-plover legs

Calf length socks that won’t fall off will be an absolute winner. Especially for those who have non-plover legs

OMG... should have been “lawyers lips were added to the regulations”, like sock height.

Is a 10s cog available for Shimano/Sunrace?

As a roadie (90% of the time), any time there’s an opportunity for a race to the next “point on the route”, it’s the only time I would need a bigger gear. Most other times it’s simply just cruising along. So I would only need a top gear about 5% of the ride.

However, when I was in the Western Cape, the 11t was seldom lay used and granny was more vocal.

10t is available in SRAM / Sunrace / Shimano. Just need the right freehub/body. On Shimano microspline, and SRAM an XD driver.

what i'm suggesting is that the physiological expenditure at that cadence and speed is not going to be efficient so you likely can't maintain 50km/hr for very long..

Whats your average cadence on the 1) flats and 2) climbs?

I do not have a cadence sensor so cannot give you accurate figures. Maybe I must just clarify my point before the thread turns into a circus.

1. I injured my knee with low cadence / high power input through pedal strokes when I wasn't fit enough to do so.. I was off the bike for a few years and thought I was a hero the second time I got on it again. I was unable to ride more than 30km for a year after that due to the left knee pain which got worse the further I rode, and I had to see a biokineticist for around 6 months to help with the pain and gaining strength back through exercise. I realized, and it was obvious, lower cadence and higher power input made my knee hurt after this. This is why I had to learn to ride on a higher cadence with less power input.

2. I see many guys on here suggesting they spin out on 1x12 setups with anything less than a 34t chainring. I simply cannot believe it. It is like when you are at a braai....Every guy is the best driver, the best braaier, has the hottest chick, car's the lightest on fuel etc. Are we talking about a road bike or a mountain bike here??? The last time I checked, when doing your normal XC / trail style riding, you normally average anywhere from around the 14km/h - 22km/h mark per ride from start to finish depending on your fitness. The time on the trail when you will exceed these speeds and spin out, is probably less than 5% of your ride. So why the fuss about spinning out? This is why I commented that I can comfortably spin at 50km/h with a 32t, 10 - 50 setup. My legs still turn and I still apply pressure down on the pedals at these speeds, but this is on 5% or less of my ride. I am by no means suggesting I ride at 50km/h from start to finish. Once again, why the hell are so many okes fussing about spinning out??? Where do you ride that you spin out so much during your XC / trail outing? Or are there just so many pro riders on this forum.

3. With regards to cadence, no cadence sensor so just using the omnicalculator: On my setup, 50km/h will require a cadence of 97rpm. On a 34t and 11t back, it will require 100rpm. However, considering this cadence is only required (If ever) for very short distances or periods of time, it is not a problem at all. Just cannot believe so many people claiming they are spinning out. So you spin out on 2% of your ride, what is the issue? Do not discourage another from going for a 32t if he needs help with his climbing. The guy won't spin out for 98% of his ride, and unlikely for the other 2% as well.

I do a club ride every Saturday and most of the time my cadence is higher than the majority of the other riders. No cadence sensor to prove it, just my eyes looking at how fast my legs are spinning versus the rest of the bunch. Trust me, my knee has no issues with maintaining a higher cadence. It will have issues if I ride at a lower cadence with a high power input. This being for normal speeds during a club ride (Around 16km/h - 17km'h average over 50km's), not 50km/h over 50km, just 50km/h for the short periods / distances during the 50km club ride.

10t is available in SRAM / Sunrace / Shimano. Just need the right freehub/body. On Shimano microspline, and SRAM an XD driver.

I do not have a cadence sensor so cannot give you accurate figures. Maybe I must just clarify my point before the thread turns into a circus.

1. I injured my knee with low cadence / high power input through pedal strokes when I wasn't fit enough to do so.. I was off the bike for a few years and thought I was a hero the second time I got on it again. I was unable to ride more than 30km for a year after that due to the left knee pain which got worse the further I rode, and I had to see a biokineticist for around 6 months to help with the pain and gaining strength back through exercise. I realized, and it was obvious, lower cadence and higher power input made my knee hurt after this. This is why I had to learn to ride on a higher cadence with less power input.

2. I see many guys on here suggesting they spin out on 1x12 setups with anything less than a 34t chainring. I simply cannot believe it. It is like when you are at a braai....Every guy is the best driver, the best braaier, has the hottest chick, car's the lightest on fuel etc. Are we talking about a road bike or a mountain bike here??? The last time I checked, when doing your normal XC / trail style riding, you normally average anywhere from around the 14km/h - 22km/h mark per ride from start to finish depending on your fitness. The time on the trail when you will exceed these speeds and spin out, is probably less than 5% of your ride. So why the fuss about spinning out? This is why I commented that I can comfortably spin at 50km/h with a 32t, 10 - 50 setup. My legs still turn and I still apply pressure down on the pedals at these speeds, but this is on 5% or less of my ride. I am by no means suggesting I ride at 50km/h from start to finish. Once again, why the hell are so many okes fussing about spinning out??? Where do you ride that you spin out so much during your XC / trail outing? Or are there just so many pro riders on this forum.

3. With regards to cadence, no cadence sensor so just using the omnicalculator: On my setup, 50km/h will require a cadence of 97rpm. On a 34t and 11t back, it will require 100rpm. However, considering this cadence is only required (If ever) for very short distances or periods of time, it is not a problem at all. Just cannot believe so many people claiming they are spinning out. So you spin out on 2% of your ride, what is the issue? Do not discourage another from going for a 32t if he needs help with his climbing. The guy won't spin out for 98% of his ride, and unlikely for the other 2% as well.

I do a club ride every Saturday and most of the time my cadence is higher than the majority of the other riders. No cadence sensor to prove it, just my eyes looking at how fast my legs are spinning versus the rest of the bunch. Trust me, my knee has no issues with maintaining a higher cadence. It will have issues if I ride at a lower cadence with a high power input. This being for normal speeds during a club ride (Around 16km/h - 17km'h average over 50km's), not 50km/h over 50km, just 50km/h for the short periods / distances during the 50km club ride.

A similar observation is also that most of those guys who spin out with anything less than 34 have never used their 50/51/52 EVER ... [emoji6]

just scanned through the post but in short,for me personally, my knees are happier and recovery time was cut in half at least with oval and i won't go back to round. 

Walking Gait 'The shape ones foot travel ' is oval and not round .Round rings are alien  :eek:

My old bike was 11speed with 10-42 it came with a 28T round ring, but the gearing was way to low so went to a 30T, all I could get was an Oval ring, cant say it made any difference to how the bike climbed, technical or flat climbs, what I did notice though, was that when you pedaled at higher cadence there would be a horrible surging feeling, obviously at higher cadence the bigger part of the ring would pull but then as it got to the smaller part it would go slack, I must also just point out that it only happened on long downhills and fast flats on tar roads, since then I upgraded bikes and my current bike has a round ring, it feels a lot more pleasant not having that surging feeling anymore