TrainerRoad for Windows

mecheng89

Good morning Hubbers!

I've now finally managed to procure my very first smart trainer, and it's an understatement that I'm excited to start using it. 

To date I've been training on the VA Wattbikes, using the TrainerRoad Android App, following a 6 week Sweet Spot Base program. In all the marketing blurb on the TR website I see pictures of the models using their laptops. To my surprise, a Windows program exists, joy! 

Has anyone used this with success? 

Good morning Hubbers!

I've now finally managed to procure my very first smart trainer, and it's an understatement that I'm excited to start using it. 

To date I've been training on the VA Wattbikes, using the TrainerRoad Android App, following a 6 week Sweet Spot Base program. In all the marketing blurb on the TR website I see pictures of the models using their laptops. To my surprise, a Windows program exists, joy! 

Did you get the Genius Smart?

If you're already using the android app and it works for you, why switch to the Windows program? Does it have extra features not available in the app?

Good morning Hubbers!

What trainer are you using?

Laptop works best with an ANT+ USB Dongle:

https://www.buycycle.co.za/mountain-bike/technology/computers/wahoo-fitness-usb-ant-dongle-with-extender-cable/

I use the laptop for traineroad, having that big screen is cool and I somehow feel like a pro. I must just get that oxygen pipes attached.

I have the mobile app, but can't see my self using it on the IDT live

I've got Windows and iOS app and prefer to use my iPad mini attached to my tablet holder on my bike, less cumbersome to setup and move etc.

Used it for the last 18 months on Laptop with ANT+ USB Dongle. ​No issues.

I've been having some issues. Firstly my computer wouldn't install the ANT USB m drivers. Then, once it connected to the trainer, it kept dropping signal once I got a workout going. But if I connect my phone to the trainer, no problem. Works a charm. 

The laptop thing might be a issue because I had BT on at the time (on the laptop) as well as the ANT+ stick in the USB port. I read somewhere that distance could be an issue too. I have about 2m between the trainer and where my laptop is plugged into my TV. 

Did you get the Genius Smart?

If you're already using the android app and it works for you, why switch to the Windows program? Does it have extra features not available in the app?

Yes.

Bigger screen, just looks better. Don't have a bracket to attach my phone to my handlebar. I see you can purchase 1/4 turn brackets? 

Yes.

Bigger screen, just looks better. Don't have a bracket to attach my phone to my handlebar. I see you can purchase 1/4 turn brackets?

Fair enough, and probably easier to see what suffering is coming on the bigger screen :)

Depending on your phone and TV, you could cast to the TV?

I got a tablet bracket with my trainer, but I don't think it's able to go small enough for a phone. One of those cellphone pockets that the joggers use, with the clear window for the screen, could probably work.

Previously when I used my pc to run the training app, I used a normal USB extension cable to get the ant+ dongle closer to the trainer

Thanks for the replies so far. Guess I should just headbutt my way through the problem until I get what I want! 

Fair enough, and probably easier to see what suffering is coming on the bigger screen :)

Depending on your phone and TV, you could cast to the TV?

I got a tablet bracket with my trainer, but I don't think it's able to go small enough for a phone. One of those cellphone pockets that the joggers use, with the clear window for the screen, could probably work.

Previously when I used my pc to run the training app, I used a normal USB extension cable to get the ant+ dongle closer to the trainer

Nope. Don't even have a smart TV (yet). 

• 1 month later...
I was wondering if anyone can help...

I've been using TrainerRoad on Windows with my first generation Kickr via ant+ with no problem for the past 3 years.

Recently I got an android tablet, and decided to install TrainerRoad on the tablet to use for my training instead of the laptop.

When trying to do a workout it seems that there is no erg mode - the power is not automatically adjusted at all.

I thought I should maybe just recalibrate the device in the settings, and then I noticed that the Kickr device settings does not show me the calibrate and mode options I see on the Windows app. The only reason I can think of is because the device appears different on the 2 platforms. On Windows it shows as a Wahoo Kickr, but on android it shows as a Wahoo Power Meter. Could this be the problem?

Does anyone know how I can get this resolved?

20170705_193906000_iOS.png

I can see the Calibrate button but nothing happens when I click on it. Also the Mode and PowerMatch options do not apear at all.

Edited by Surprize

I was wondering if anyone can help...

I've been using TrainerRoad on Windows with my first generation Kickr via ant+ with no problem for the past 3 years.

Recently I got an android tablet, and decided to install TrainerRoad on the tablet to use for my training instead of the laptop.
When trying to do a workout it seems that there is no erg mode - the power is not automatically adjusted at all.

I thought I should maybe just recalibrate the device in the settings, and then I noticed that the Kickr device settings does not show me the calibrate and mode options I see on the Windows app. The only reason I can think of is because the device appears different on the 2 platforms. On Windows it shows as a Wahoo Kickr, but on android it shows as a Wahoo Power Meter. Could this be the problem?

Does anyone know how I can get this resolved?

20170705_193906000_iOS.png

I can see the Calibrate button but nothing happens when I click on it. Also the Mode and PowerMatch options do not apear at all.

• Download the Wahoo Utility App and make sure there isn't a firmware update for your Kickr. If there is, update it. 
  • Unplug your trainer for a minute or two and plug it back in. This allows your Kickr to reset
  • Delete your TrainerRoad app and redownload to ensure the app isn't holding onto any data that is causing your Kickr to get weird readings.