Jonkershoek/Stellenbosch - Bike lane. Why not use it?

DoomedUser

Encountered so many riders not riding single file on the road going out of Jonkies. There is a bike lane out of harms way? Why ride in the road? Two abreast? So many cars had to sway into oncoming traffic to avoid these cyclists!

Zero f**ks given. I'm a biker myself and *ssholes like these make my blood boil. 

post-96011-0-16059200-1522423850_thumb.jpg

Edited by DoomedUser

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To the best of my knowledge the bike lane you refer to is in fact a foot path for pedestrians and joggers.

So you totally avoid that path even when there are not pedestrians on it and opt to drive in the road instead? I'm just trying to understand the logic here. Whenever I can avoid the roads (cars) I try to take the safer route. But I guess it's easier gambling with your life it seems.

If you wish to cycle on the footpath, please do so at 10km/h or less. It has many blind rises and turns and pedestrians and runners have right of way here.

I prefer the road and I often see riders cycling abreast on this road, with most motorists having a tolerant and pleasant disposition to this. The particular section the OP refers to gives motorists good visibility at oncoming traffic and overtaking safely here (at least 1m passing distance from the cyclists) will take him into the oncoming lane in any event as there is no shoulder on this road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I also believe the pathway is only for pedestrians or joggers. Even for them it is sometimes too narrow. If it was a bike lane there should have been at least one on each side of the road.

And the photo is taken at the last descent where the speed of the cyclist is very close to the speed limit.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

How come nobody has asked the all time favourite question here? OP, how did you take that photo? Please dont tell me you are driving wile handling a mobile phone? Do you always ignore the law and gamble with your life like thay? What a noob.

Im a car driver myself and **sholes like you make my blood boil. You give all of us a bad rep.

Edited by HDW

Encountered so many riders not riding single file on the road going out of Jonkies. There is a bike lane out of harms way? Why ride in the road? Two abreast? So many cars had to sway into oncoming traffic to avoid these cyclists!

Zero f**ks given. I'm a biker myself and *ssholes like these make my blood boil.

Some questions OP:

1) if these had been a tractor or heavy machine, would you have been as upset?

2) did it really cost drivers more than an extra few seconds to wait behind them?

3) why are the cyclists to blame if vehicles are performing dangerous overtaking moves into oncoming traffic, as you say?

4) why are you, and all the other drivers, so impatient on a road that is clearly not a through-way, main road, or arterial route?

Seriously... They should be on the gravel next to the road simply because they're on mtbs, but to be honest, they have a right to be on the road, and every road user should treat them as a hazard that requires extra care when driving near.

Be lekker.

I cycle on the road when going to/coming from Jonkershoek for a few reasons, that section is very narrow and is used by joggers, people with kids and dogs, as mentioned that footpath has a lot of blind turns. The path ends on a turn and then you need to cross on a dangerous section to get onto the right side. Lastly, that road is very popular with cyclists so if you as a driver drives on that section you know you are going to expect cyclists.

I'm not saying cyclists have right of way because they use it often, I'm saying try to be considerate of them using the road, as they should also be considerate to ride on the shoulder of the road. 

The 1 in white might be on a mountain bike but is definitely not a mountain biker no mountain biker will be caught dead in white tights. Hahaha

People whether they are on 2 wheels or in 4 just don't give a hell.

The ones on bikes feel the cars can just wait and go around and the ones in cars feel they pay to be on the road so to hell with everybody else. It's all about mutual respect but that's something on the way out.

The 1 in white might be on a mountain bike but is definitely not a mountain biker no mountain biker will be caught dead in white tights. Hahaha

People whether they are on 2 wheels or in 4 just don't give a hell.

The ones on bikes feel the cars can just wait and go around and the ones in cars feel they pay to be on the road so to hell with everybody else. It's all about mutual respect but that's something on the way out.

Yeah, that's Annie Last. She was on the podium at the Cape Epic.

Not a mountain biker, you are right, tough guy.

I live on this road and I don't use the cycling lane. There are usually people running or walking on this path and to be honest I feel thy jonkershoek road is part of a nature reserve / valley and people must slow down and let cyclists roam free.