Child carrier/ baby seat

tunariaan

My boy is 19months old now and it time for him to ride with me.

Whats the best and safest?

It must have a backrest, its going to go onto my Stumpjumper so it must be able to work on carbon.

Must be solid to hande basic single track.

Can you guys post some pics with advice of where you bought it for what price.

Also where can i buy small kiddies helmets?

Thx

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Me personally, I can't stand the kids bike seats that go between myself and the handlebars.

I bought a weride, used it once and sold it. They restrict your handlebar movement so you have limited turning circle and its impossible for you to get on and off the bike. A proper bike will be setup that you must move forward off your saddle to get a foot on the ground. Impossible with the weride as there's no space for you between saddle and handlebars. The weride in particular also destroys the headset area of your frame and seatpost due to the claps which also don't fit great on oversized headset frames. Be very careful of any brackets scratching carbon frames.

Without doubt, the best child seats are those that fit on the rear as they offer the most protection and support for the kids. BUT, you cannot use any of these on a Full Suspension frame - Hardtails only.

My suggestion is the GIANT Progeny (the one that comes with blue & pink inner & removable cushions) as this one has a 5 point harness, full support bar in front and high backrest. The problem with the latter is that the kids can't wear a helmet as the backrest then pushes their heads forwards. But the seat is so protective that i don't mind the kids not having a helmet until their heads are high enough for the helmet to go above the backrest.

Also, i used to keep a 26" hard tail specifically for riding with this seat but when my son got older and heavier I changed to an 2nd hand 29" hardtail (non carbon). This is also great because once my son progressed on from the rear seat I bought a "Giant Half Wheeler" which he can use up to the age of about 7/8 even though at 6 his now on his own MTB. But when my wife and i want to take him for a longer ride (30 odd km) we still use the half wheeler. And you DON'T want to put these onto a high end Full Sus as you'll destroy your pivot bearings.

My son was in the Giant Seat from about 9 months up to about 3/4 years then moved onto the half wheeler. My daughter of 20 months is now enjoying the Seat and has been since she was about a year old.

If you want to chat - send me a PM and I'll give you my telephone number. 27d7bfb69a7135d0ddbe689ba8e1b87a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

JBK just like you I'm the complete opposite, flat pedals wide bars a dropper post means i don't have any issues getting on or turning or or or

... I though prefer that i have sight of my little ones in front of me than at the bike, also the nice thing with the star seat there's no extra's that stay on the bike it's all straps and buckles

I can highly recommend the Feva Star seat. My 3rd child is now on it. The youngest now 18 months. I however only stick to tar/level roads with her because their necks are really not that strong yet. I would never take them out on single track at that young age. The 3 year old - no problem.

I actually prefer the position in front of me. I can see them at all times and the centre of gravity is better. I will also be able to protect them better in case of falling over. They also hold onto the bars and get a feeling of the steer from early on.

Each to its own I guess.

Btw, the Feva is completely friendly on your frame. No scratching, etc. I put it on and take off in less than a minute.

Edited by FDP

+1 on the star seat. I started using mine when the laaitie was +-18 months old. He turns 6 in april and we do the school run on that: up gspot, down some sections of the coetzenburg xc track. Obviously you start slowly and build up distance.

I know a family who did a bike packing trip over Easter with their twins (in grade R with my laaitie) using star seats, panniers and a 4 man tent.

Also a big fan of the star seat. My lad is two years old and can't get enough of riding. We even do a bit of single track riding on it, nothing to hectic though. I don't strap him into the seat as I like him to develop his balance, also gives me the option of getting him clear of the bike in case we bail!

Got it guys

my only concern is no back rest?

You are basically the back rest. If I can find my old one I can courier to you.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Got it guys

my only concern is no back rest?

at 18 months its more a question of the kiddies learning and practicing to hou vas. I noticed that when i did consecutive runs down single track with my then 3.5 yo and 20 month old. Both enjoyed the ride but i had to ride much slower with the small one.it really helps that they see the road and learn to adjust to what's coming, coeners etc.

How badly is your pedal stroke (knees) affected by the star seat?

I know someone else who had one of the big plastic front seats and he said that his knees got sore from riding with them out sideways that he just stopped using it. 

This does look thinner, but is this an issue?