Torque Wrench Needed (come over for Beers) (Pretoria)

Whatsup Hubbers...

So I'm almost ready to start assembling a bike which I have been spending more than 3 months getting all the parts together, I am buying some tools extra for the job but I don;t think buying Torque Wrenches are in my budget at the moment... Eventually yes... But not right now.

Is there anyone on here who is willing to lend or rent their torque wrenches to me for complete assembly of my bike?

I'm in Pretoria, Menlo Park. 

Coffee / Beer / Burgers are on the cards for payment, also!

Thanx in advance!

Edited by BurgerB

Funny though, the Torque Wrench is probably your most used tool and one which you will get most value for money out of.

Its the best investment to make, no matter what bike (carbon or alloy) you are building, and forms part of every set up tweek and change.

Small torque wrenches complete with bit sets will cover most installations from 5nm to 24nm. these can be found for R1k. Get one, no regrets.

You only need the big mcCoy (40-60nm) for your bottom bracket and cassette installation. Parktool is really nice and cheapest brought in from overseas online website

Might be tricky borrowing one as they need to be treated with care, dropping them in a fumble is a no-no. recalibration isnt all that easy to get done

Your local bike shop can easily assist with the larger torque installations (40nm etc) using their big tools and shouldnt charge you if its a 1min job and if they expect your return business. Ask nicely...

LBS are also useful for facing bottom brackets and installing headsets and pressfit bottom brackets as these are usually once off fitments with specific tools that you shouldnt buy.

Edited by Li Mu Bai

Funny though, the Torque Wrench is probably your most used tool and one which you will get most value for money out of.

Its the best investment to make, no matter what bike (carbon or alloy) you are building, and forms part of every set up tweek and change.

Small torque wrenches complete with bit sets will cover most installations from 5nm to 24nm. these can be found for R1k. Get one, no regrets.

You only need the big mcCoy (40-60nm) for your bottom bracket and cassette installation. Parktool is really nice and cheapest brought in from overseas online website

Might be tricky borrowing one as they need to be treated with care, dropping them in a fumble is a no-no. recalibration isnt all that easy to get done

Your local bike shop can easily assist with the larger torque installations (40nm etc) using their big tools and shouldnt charge you if its a 1min job and if they expect your return business. Ask nicely...

LBS are also useful for facing bottom brackets and installing headsets and pressfit bottom brackets as these are usually once off fitments with specific tools that you shouldnt buy.

I was very much preempting this answer to come along, fact is... I have already invested a lot of money trying to get away from going to the LBS for every little thing and a helluva lot of friends who work on their own bikes get along without using them (without destroying components) for many, many years... I just don't have enough experience and confidence to work like that.

Anybody who would lend me theirs will probably hang around for the while and have a beer with me while helping me out in a huge way. 

I understand that they are fragile and need to be handled with care, it's a speciality tool which has a very specialized function. I was just hoping not to add ANOTHER R1k to the total price of my build, hence me saying "Eventually, yes" but thank you for your response, I will stick it out for a little while and probably end up deleting this post before I get called out for being an idiot for even asking this question, I just figured there'd be someone closeby friendly enough and keen to help a guy out. 

I'm in Pretoria, Menlo Park. 

I'm in Centurion and have all the tools you need.  Unfortunately lending not possible but if you come to me we can work together getting your new build all torqued up.  PM if interested

Ask to borrow the wife, the kids, the car is acceptable ..........Bikes and Bike tools......never ask to borrow Bikes and Bike tools.....thats just wrong dude.

I know. I'm living on the edge and taking chances! haha

No I am just kidding!!

I don't have a torque wrench, but I have that 3 way Alle key from park tool, there is not enough leverage to over tight a bolt, that can maybe be a cheeper option.

You invested so much in your bike all ready, I think it deserves a torque wrench as well.

post-25636-0-08928300-1523001613_thumb.jpg

Edited by The MTBer

Ask to borrow the wife, the kids, the car is acceptable ..........Bikes and Bike tools......never ask to borrow Bikes and Bike tools.....thats just wrong dude.

So I can't take the colnago for a spin?

Please post pictures of wife and car

Jeez, tough crowd.

I regularly lend my tools out to mates, including my torque wrench.

Won't lend it to a random though, know your customers....

Great way to lose friendships... hehe

This has been a fun thread to post. 

Thanx to everyone, it's been great! haha. 

A friend is coming over for beers and his T Wrench in hand so everything is sorted, I'm expecting my wheelset to arrive in a hour or so. Then it's game ON!!

Post pics when done