Trek Top Fuel 9.8 or Santa Cruz Blur S build

marne44

Hi everyone! I'm in the process of replacing my bike and I am completely stuck with a decision between the Trek Top Fuel 9.8 and the Santa Cruz Blur S build.

They are very similarly priced, weigh almost exactly the same (websites) and have very similar components. The Trek has carbon wheels, handlebar and seat-post, but an alu chainstay. The Santa has a complete carbon frame, but alu wheels, handlebar and seat-post.

Any advice, suggestions or feedback regarding the bikes would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I'd go for the Trek because of the fact that it already has carbon wheels, seatpost, and handlebar. On a top end XC bike those are things you most probably are going to upgrade if you it's not already carbon. So in my mind to get the Santa to the same place as the Trek you can add another 15k to the price tag (depending on what wheels you get for the Santa). Personally I like an alu chainstay, when I fall that part of the bike tends to make contact with stones and other objects more than any other part - so it's a plus point in my books.

Trek just delivers better value for my money, and I prefer the way the Trek looks (very subjective - and when spending that amount of money I want a bike I think is pretty!)

I might be slightly biased, but the SC all the way. Also room for some weight loss over time...

Greg rides a santa cruz, Emily rides a trek. Greg is faster. If you want to catch Emily you'd better be faster than her... SC all the way. I'd go for the intense

Drive to Paarl, speak to Danie at Cycle4Life.  They are TREK dealers.  Take it for a test ride ....

Test the others, then take the TREK for a second test ride.

I LOVE my Trek !!!!!  YES, the others in this price class certainly is not "bad" .... I just love the handling of the TREK.  Did a ride today in a NEW area, going blind into corners, dealing with everything a trail can throw my way - with not knowing what is waiting around the next bend.  Obviously had to grab the brakes a few times.  Not once did I even feel remotely "on the edge".  The Trek geometry is very forgiving, and suits me.

You would need to ride it to see which bike suits YOUR riding style and experience level ...

So they same weight and the Trek has carbon rims? that means its basically heavier - apples with apples - SC all the way, at least its going to be a cool bike and you can loose weight as you can afford to - I have one so not bias at all..

• 2 weeks later...

So they same weight and the Trek has carbon rims? that means its basically heavier - apples with apples - SC all the way, at least its going to be a cool bike and you can loose weight as you can afford to - I have one so not bias at all..

Hi Brett! Thanks for your response. Do you have a Blur?

Drive to Paarl, speak to Danie at Cycle4Life.  They are TREK dealers.  Take it for a test ride ....

Test the others, then take the TREK for a second test ride.

I LOVE my Trek !!!!!  YES, the others in this price class certainly is not "bad" .... I just love the handling of the TREK.  Did a ride today in a NEW area, going blind into corners, dealing with everything a trail can throw my way - with not knowing what is waiting around the next bend.  Obviously had to grab the brakes a few times.  Not once did I even feel remotely "on the edge".  The Trek geometry is very forgiving, and suits me.

You would need to ride it to see which bike suits YOUR riding style and experience level ...

Hi Chris! Thanks for your response. Can I assume you have a top fuel 9.8? 

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone!

After a few messages I received relating this topic I thought I will give an update on why I got the bike I chose.

I received the opportunity to take both the Top Fuel 9.8 and Blur S Build for a test ride on the same day on the exact same route. The route was about 10km and consisted of a 2km climb with 190m ascent and a fast and flowing singletrack descent. 

I first took the Blur for the test ride. The bike climbed well and descended even better. The biggest impression it made was down the singletrack. 

Next was the Top Fuel. I thought the bike climbed better than the blur (the blur was great). The descent was slightly less controlled, but more fun.

Decision: After riding both bikes I realised both are really excellent. Coming from an aggressive hardtail onto these bikes, the Top Fuel felt more at home while climbing. The Blur was good uphill, but the Top Fuel just felt faster. On the descents, the Blur felt so controlled/comfortable that I thought it was too easy. The Blur was quicker down, but the Top Fuel just felt more exciting and on the edge. The Top Fuel is a very nippy bike that made me enjoy the descent more than on the Blur. Based on this experience I went for the Top Fuel.

At the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference. I have ridden my Top Fuel now for two months and haven't looked back.

Hi everyone! I'm in the process of replacing my bike and I am completely stuck with a decision between the Trek Top Fuel 9.8 and the Santa Cruz Blur S build.

They are very similarly priced, weigh almost exactly the same (websites) and have very similar components. The Trek has carbon wheels, handlebar and seat-post, but an alu chainstay. The Santa has a complete carbon frame, but alu wheels, handlebar and seat-post.

Any advice, suggestions or feedback regarding the bikes would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

IS the Trek Top Fuel a recently landed 2018 or 2019 model or an earlier 2018?

I ask because if you're a medium fit on the SC the trek 17.5" size is going to be very tight and the 19.5 may be too big. They started bringing in the 18.5" from June.

I'd get the TREK BTW. I prefer the way the rear suspension remains active through all kinds of terrain without as severe pedal feedback over sharp edged trail obstacles

IS the Trek Top Fuel a recently landed 2018 or 2019 model or an earlier 2018?

I ask because if you're a medium fit on the SC the trek 17.5" size is going to be very tight and the 19.5 may be too big. They started bringing in the 18.5" from June.

I'd get the TREK BTW. I prefer the way the rear suspension remains active through all kinds of terrain without as severe pedal feedback over sharp edged trail obstacles

At the time I bought the bike the 18.5" wasn't available yet. So went with 17.5". Had to get a longer stem + offset seat-post. 

As long as it works for you then thumbs up. I quite like it set up like that but a 100mm stem was just a touch too long. The 18.5" would have swayed my purchase decision