Hi Guys,

I have a mate that recently got into MTB. He as an XC hard tail and is looking to go tubeless. Can anyone recommend a durable set of tubeless ready tyres on a tightish budget. I personally go for Maxxis UST. They're heavy but durable. But they're also not cheap.

Continental-mountain-king is on special for R295 each but I also don't know how durable they are. I seem to remember them getting quite a few sidewall punctures.

https://www.evobikes.co.za/continental-mountain-king-pure-grip-tl-26-x-2-2.html

Any advice is welcome. I think R1000 or just over would be his max spend, and ideally less if something is a good compromise.

Cheers!

Crossmark as a front tyre is a no go. Ran crossmark on my one 26er due to a lack of any better tyre. Don't do it.

Crossmark in the rear will suffice. Can try putting an ardent up front for traction? Chris Wllemse  has 26x2.4 Ardents LUST or R550.

You can also try getting your hands on Schwalbe Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron. Awesome XC tyres. Very light, good grip, low rolling resistance, etc, they just wear out very quickly (my current setup)

Crossmark as a front tyre is a no go. Ran crossmark on my one 26er due to a lack of any better tyre. Don't do it.

Crossmark in the rear will suffice. Can try putting an ardent up front for traction? Chris Wllemse  has 26x2.4 Ardents LUST or R550.

You can also try getting your hands on Schwalbe Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron. Awesome XC tyres. Very light, good grip, low rolling resistance, etc, they just wear out very quickly (my current setup)

Agreed. I run an Ardent upfront with an Ikon on the rear and its perfect for my needs.

I should add that his rims are older and therefore not that wide. Mostly likely 17 or 19 max. So I don't know if the 2.4 Ardent will be quite a bit too wide.

Crossmark in the rear will suffice. Can try putting an ardent up front for traction? Chris Wllemse has 26x2.4 Ardents LUST or R550.

Also busy looking for a replacement set of tyres. The nobby nicks at evo is also an option

Edit: added link

https://www.evobikes.co.za/tyres/mtb-26-tyres/schwalbe-nobby-nic-26.html

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Edited by Otero

Agreed. I run an Ardent upfront with an Ikon on the rear and its perfect for my needs.

I should add that his rims are older and therefore not that wide. Mostly likely 17 or 19 max. So I don't know if the 2.4 Ardent will be quite a bit too wide.

My problem as well. Have mavic 819's on, 19mm internal width, so try to stick to 2.25 tyres

My problem as well. Have mavic 819's on, 19mm internal width, so try to stick to 2.25 tyres

Ya that's what I suspected. With all the punctures and hassles he has had, I feel like durability is the one of the most important factors.

The Crossmarks will roll well, but they don't have much grip. The Mountain kings will have more grip, but won't roll that well.

Good point.