[Event] Piket-Bo-Berg Cycle Challenge & Trail Run

Delanie

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't the guy who rode off in a huff, this is my first one but if i am in pain i prefer it to suffer in silence. Nothing worse than someone chatting cheerily while you're digging into the dark place to find the grit to carry on.

hahaha I wasn't even chatting to the guy! 

See you on Saturday, just tell me to bugger off if you get to that place. Hopefully you will be enjoying the trails and the views far too much to be hurting.

I wasn't the guy who rode off in a huff, this is my first one but if i am in pain i prefer it to suffer in silence. Nothing worse than someone chatting cheerily while you're digging into the dark place to find the grit to carry on.

You will have to dig real deep when you have to turn away from the end, and go the other way over yet another nasty climb to do that last loop.

Enjoy. Please take GoPro with. I will want to hear the colourful language used after yet another pedal strike!  :whistling:

Missing out this year because of my boy's exams. Next year will be back. Dan kan hy die 63km ry en die ooms wys hoe dit gedoen word.  :clap:

Last year my wife won the 27km ladies race, and she is just as bummed at not doing it this year. She wanted to smash more ladies in the 37km this year.

O, ja. Wys ons daai blikbeker as bewys dat jy klaar gemaak het.

Edited by Moridin

Hey LeoKnight - please send me an email and I will send you the newsletter! 

delanie@djconsult.co.za

Did not receive the email, but did receive the sms

In the end I opted for the 37 which I finished in just under 3 hours - decided to call it a day while I was still having fun! Lots of riding still this weekend to do.

The stories about these trails are not hyperbole - they are absolutely incredible, technical without being too frightening, very rewarding in places, very hard in others. The views are unparalleled.

It is definitely worth the drive and next year I will finish the longer route.

To the chop who was blaring his music from his bike so loud that it was all that could be heard. Thanks for turning it off when I complained about it - it saves you from utter wally status. Back marker in the Argus - by all means, munch your free choccies and contribute to the vibe - in the amphitheater of natural beauty and physical challenge that is this ride, any noise you make apart from whoops of appreciation and thrill is only detracting from the experience.

Excellent day out. Thanks to the organizers.

Signed up for the 63km, started a bit to fast so backed off a bit knowing there was still lots of km to go

There are so many positives with the race
- Amazing trails really challenging with single track heaven, challenging with a bit of skills required (making sure you get past the bolders and rocks without hitting your pedals, etc
- organisation was top notched (the self seeding went generally well, directions were on point, more than enough marshalls all over the route, etc.)
- Waterpoints, more than enough that were properly stocked with great support encouraging riders
- Views, wow just wow feel like you riding on a floating trail over the valley

- A "goodie" bag that actually had things in it you could use, like baby potatoes, squirt bottles, etc.

One the challenging side, the second part did come with a lot of additional muddy parts, which is probably to be understood after all the rain, but did make some areas very slippery and was just thinking of my drive chain.  Also the first bit was for sure the jewel of the race, and it is probably a nice that they did not do the thing where only the long route get to experience some of the most amazing parts.

Edit: added more stuff

Edited by LeoKnight

Really nice event, I was definitely better prepared than last year but still not 63 km fit... There is always next year.

It might be a good idea to let the 37 km and 63 km start 30 min apart to relieve some of the congestion.

I'll certainly be back next year. 

Really nice event, I was definitely better prepared than last year but still not 63 km fit... There is always next year.

It might be a good idea to let the 37 km and 63 km start 30 min apart to relieve some of the congestion.

I'll certainly be back next year. 

I think that didn't work so well last year...

We (37km race) caught up pretty quickly with the tail end of the 63km guys last year which must have caused a lot of frustration for the 37km leaders who couldn't get passed the guys who were just taking it easy and enjoying the ride.

There will always be bottle-necking at Piket Bo Berg due to 80% being singletrack, but if people self seed themselves a bit more realistically things will be a whole lot better for everyone.

I know I was guilty of this. I tried starting near(ish) to the front and push for a good finish, but was caught on the long uphill slog by so many stronger riders that I kept having to make way for them to get around me.

The thing I love/hate about this race is that it gives me a serious reality check on my fitness level. I mean 37km with 700m elevation should be a walk in the park, but I find myself wanting every year.

hahaha I wasn't even chatting to the guy! 

See you on Saturday, just tell me to bugger off if you get to that place. Hopefully you will be enjoying the trails and the views far too much to be hurting.

How did the sweeping go this time around?  Was checking behind me every now and then to see if I could see you guys rounding the corner.

Fantastic, big ups to the organisers!

I did the 60km - I was not really prepared. The second half was hard!

But spectacular. One of the most beautiful races I've done. The single-track was superb. They weren't kidding about the % of single-track.

Also, well done on the water points, local support excellent route markings, and organisation. We will be back next year, better prepared :)

How did the sweeping go this time around?  Was checking behind me every now and then to see if I could see you guys rounding the corner.

It was fantastic.

One couple spent 45 minutes trying to fix a puncture, so we gave them a tube and pumped it up but the lady kept falling over so they bailed at WP 1.

Craig had left me to amble along with the back of the 63km who turned out to be flying! 

Once the couple pulled out I was able to race WP1 to WP2 at full gas which was amazingly fun.

Caught Craig and we then caught the back of the field by WP3. Us and the 2 gentlemen kept a decent pace and caught up to 2 ladies who were suffering a bit towards the end.

They were very game and we all crossed the line just under 6and a half hours, which is 80 odd minutes faster than Veldskoens did last year!

A fantastic field all in from the 27 to the 63km everyone was smiling or grimacing in a very pleasant way.

Those trails are very special and it is a huge privilege to get to ride them with everybody a few times a year. 

How did you go? 

A fantastic field all in from the 27 to the 63km everyone was smiling or grimacing in a very pleasant way.

Those trails are very special and it is a huge privilege to get to ride them with everybody a few times a year. 

How did you go? 

Really had fun, the second bit did challenge my legs a bit more, as I am sure I would have enjoyed the trails a bit more with some extra power left in my legs, but had to stop counting the amount of times I went wow, this is amazing. 

Only other thing I should have done, was to actually put the route profile on my top tube to have an idea what was still coming, that last climb up to the 10km to go did push me in the red

Really had fun, the second bit did challenge my legs a bit more, as I am sure I would have enjoyed the trails a bit more with some extra power left in my legs, but had to stop counting the amount of times I went wow, this is amazing. 

Only other thing I should have done, was to actually put the route profile on my top tube to have an idea what was still coming, that last climb up to the 10km to go did push me in the red

hahahahaha once you pass WP5 and descend into the saddle you are convinced it's all done but wait?!

Some of those little right hand bends to 30% kickers are heartbreaking!

The snow on the mountains across the valley made the escarpment trail breathtaking. 

Looking forward to the U now!