[Event] The U MTB Stage Race

Delanie

Event Name: The U MTB Stage Race
When: 19 October 2018 - 21 October 2018
Where: Moutons Valley Farm, Piket-bo-berg, Western Cape
Category: MTB

We want to invite you to joins us for SA’s Single Track Stage Race for REAL MOUNTAIN BIKERS in a small and exclusive event, The U.
Set in race village second to none showcasing the natural beauty of our mountains, paired with great food, drinks and our small town hospitality.

U will enjoy

• 2,5 days of unforgettable authentic mountain biking covering 101km of Single Track
  • the privacy of your own tent, with Luxury & Deluxe unit options available
  • relaxing afternoons and evenings in the Chill Zone next to the dam

The field is limited to only 200 riders – be sure to book your spot for 2018!
Online entries opening on the 25th of April!
Follow us on Facebook or Instagram for the latest updates.

WEEKEND PROGRAM:

Prologue - Friday: Time Trial Format

Distance: 7.06km | Elevation: 169m

Episode 1 - Saturday

Distance: 49.82km | Elevation: 1567m

Episode 2 - Sunday

Distance: 51.08km | Elevation: 1418m

Go to Event Page

hubevents-76793-0-14202500-1523262265_thumb.jpg

hubevents-76793-0-87114800-1523262268_thumb.jpg

hubevents-76793-0-03702900-1523262273_thumb.jpg

hubevents-76793-0-80418500-1523262276_thumb.jpg

hubevents-76793-0-13738300-1523262281_thumb.jpg

Edited by Delanie

I don't know the cost this year, I couldn't afford it last year, which is a huge pity.. so I just very much look forward to there one day event, 

The way I talk of the one day event to plenty people, I should get sponsored for the U Stage race  :clap:  Just saying  :clap:

What is the cost this year?

Hi MTBeer - herewith our entry fees for 2018:

Standard   @ R6 500 per individual

Your standard entry includes:

All meals from the Friday evening until Sunday lunch, including light snacks on the Friday afternoon

Your own two-man tent & mattress, bedding excluded

Standard   @ R11 000 per team

Your standard entry includes:

All meals from the Friday evening until Sunday lunch, including light snacks on the Friday afternoon

Your own two-man tent & mattress, bedding excluded

Luxury   @ R9 500 per individual

Your luxury entry includes:

Your own four-man tent with a single bed, a bedside table, shaded seating and ground cover in front of your tent with 2 camp chairs, a solar light, bedding included

Luxury   @ R14 000 per team

Your luxury team entry includes:

Your own four-man tent with two single beds, a bedside table, shaded seating and ground cover in front of your tent with 2 camp chairs, a solar light, bedding included

Deluxe   @ R18 000 per team (teams only)

Your deluxe team entry includes:

Fully equipped luxury serviced accommodation with proper single beds for 2 evenings (double beds available upon request), bedding & towels included

Complimentary Drinks & Snacks

Access to the permanent ablution facilities

Designated parking area

I don't know the cost this year, I couldn't afford it last year, which is a huge pity.. so I just very much look forward to there one day event, 

The way I talk of the one day event to plenty people, I should get sponsored for the U Stage race  :clap:  Just saying  :clap:

Thanks for the enthusiasm T-Bag68 - looking forward to sharing the trails with you!

There is NO doubt that this is a "must do" event - HOWEVER the price tag is just too heavy for me, despite all the advantages.

2 & 1/4 riding days don't add up enough, if I compare to the Ezelfontein event (where you arrange own accommodation) for just R1000! And it's amazing riding there too. But, to be fair, the riding is better overall at Piket Bo Berg.

I've done the one-day cycle challenge twice and the route is just amazing. Love the technical riding. Views amazing. One of the best events out there.

PS You might want to update website with all relevant info though.

Edited by mrcg

There is NO doubt that this is a "must do" event - HOWEVER the price tag is just too heavy for me, despite all the advantages.

2 & 1/4 riding days don't add up enough, if I compare to the Ezelfontein event (where you arrange own accommodation) for just R1000! And it's amazing riding there too. But, to be fair, the riding is better overall at Piket Bo Berg.

I've done the one-day cycle challenge twice and the route is just amazing. Love the technical riding. Views amazing. One of the best events out there.

The thing is, the one day event covers the '***' trails up there.... The U takes you to the good trails!

I know it's 'expensive' but it's no more expensive than W2W and it is scientifically proven to be at least 55.7 times better.

The food is awesome, the setting amazing. More than 1 bottle of water per rider per day... 

Ezelfontein is cheaper, but then the target market might be different too. This is more of a weekend away with all the bells and whistles AND amazing riding.

Disclaimer. I have nothing to do with the race. I have done it once, been lucky enough to ride there a few times and had to miss it last year after falling off my bike a week before and breaking my back. Hopefully they will allow me back this year...

Thanks for the enthusiasm T-Bag68 - looking forward to sharing the trails with you

:clap:  :thumbup:  :clap:  :thumbup:

Confirms my theory again that if you see a new race on the calendar that looks appealing you don't wait for next year! (Think this one was just over 3K a rider 2 years ago). If the race is any good the entry fee will either double over the next 2/3 years (but it comes with the risk that it might be a well marketed crap race...)

Well done to the organisers, certainly looks like a unique event worth doing if its in your budget.

Edited by Skubarra

Confirms my theory again that if you see a new race on the calendar that looks appealing you don't wait for next year! (Think this one was just over 3K a rider 2 years ago). If the race is any good the entry fee will either double over the next 2/3 years (but it comes with the risk that it might be a well marketed crap race...)

Well done to the organisers, certainly looks like a unique event worth doing if its in your budget.

Thanks for your insights & kind words Skubarra.

The event is now in its 3rd year, and that first year that you were referring to was our 'trial event'. It was a self-catered event where riders could bring their own tents and experience the event in a very basic form, They provided valuable feedback which allowed us the opportunity to further define what the direction of the event would be.

From the next year, we included all the 'bells and whistles' to create a unique stage race where riders can experience great food, beer and wine in a beautiful race venue with some amazing technical trails which obviously added more expenses, resulting in higher entry fees, but also created a unique and intimate experience for riders.

Hope clarifies the initial price increase..

I think you need to compare apples with apples.

This is a unique event, they have chosen to go the route of keeping numbers down and this means costs go up (200 riders only). I can't begin to imagine what the budget deficit currently is in the amount of kickass trails built there.

Is there another event similar to this? probably not.

this is probably closest to it, same ballpark pricing.

http://winelandsencounter.co.za/entryPackage.html

I think you need to compare apples with apples.

This is a unique event, they have chosen to go the route of keeping numbers down and this means costs go up (200 riders only). I can't begin to imagine what the budget deficit currently is in the amount of kickass trails built there.

Is there another event similar to this? probably not.

this is probably closest to it, same ballpark pricing.

http://winelandsencounter.co.za/entryPackage.html

That's the thing - there are no apples vs apples comparisons possible. Ever. Everything is approximate. Each event is unique in it's own right.

Hence my "sort of" comparison with Ezel - own accommo, meals etc. So yes, different market they are trying to appeal to.

But bottom line remains: we are all mtb'ers wanting to ride all trails (read best trails) at an affordable rate (to each individually). That is a conundrum for event organisers as they cannot/don't want to cater to all.

If I could do the U with my own little camping spot (paid for), tent (rooftop tent) and my own meals (or buy local), at a cheaper rate, I would be there in a flash.

Oh well, maybe one day....after I've saved up.

That's the thing - there are no apples vs apples comparisons possible. Ever. Everything is approximate. Each event is unique in it's own right.

Hence my "sort of" comparison with Ezel - own accommo, meals etc. So yes, different market they are trying to appeal to.

But bottom line remains: we are all mtb'ers wanting to ride all trails (read best trails) at an affordable rate (to each individually). That is a conundrum for event organisers as they cannot/don't want to cater to all.

If I could do the U with my own little camping spot (paid for), tent (rooftop tent) and my own meals (or buy local), at a cheaper rate, I would be there in a flash.

Oh well, maybe one day....after I've saved up.

I think you're missing the point, they're specifically not catering for that type of rider. I myself did Ezels 3day last year and not the U (I did the pbb 1 day), and will probably do likewise again.

I do think the U is expensive, and a bit exclusive. But I will defend their right to put it on that way!

I think you're missing the point, they're specifically not catering for that type of rider. I myself did Ezels 3day last year and not the U (I did the pbb 1 day), and will probably do likewise again.

I do think the U is expensive, and a bit exclusive. But I will defend their right to put it on that way!

I don't think mcrg is disagreeing with you on this...

He is just saying he prefer different kind of events

I don't think mcrg is disagreeing with you on this...

He is just saying he prefer different kind of events

I think so too and completely see where he is coming from.... that said he should start an Ezel 3 day stage race event thread and stop trying to tell the organisers how to market theirs on the thread they started.... (just saying.)

That came out a bit harsh.. I don't mean it like that. But Delanie and Rickus have put a heck of a lot of thought into the way they want the event to run.

I still sound like harsh... sorry MRCG, I really don't mean to! I give up... back to bed to find my nice voice!!!

I suppose it's similar to my rant about no one willing to help me get a frame only Santa Cruz chameleon.... I was bleak but looking at it, organisers/importers can't really look at the peanuts brigade as a business model as that same peanut brigade will just go elsewhere if the price is right.

They need to invest in the part of the market where they will see return. If that means less sales, better exclusivity and a higher mark up, then I will indeed look elsewhere with my peanuts.

I still want a Santa Cruz Chameleon and I do still want to ride the U.... 

I think so too and completely see where he is coming from.... that said he should start an Ezel 3 day stage race event thread and stop trying to tell the organisers how to market theirs on the thread they started.... (just saying.)

That came out a bit harsh.. I don't mean it like that. But Delanie and Rickus have put a heck of a lot of thought into the way they want the event to run.

I still sound like harsh... sorry MRCG, I really don't mean to! I give up... back to bed to find my nice voice!!!

I suppose it's similar to my rant about no one willing to help me get a frame only Santa Cruz chameleon.... I was bleak but looking at it, organisers/importers can't really look at the peanuts brigade as a business model as that same peanut brigade will just go elsewhere if the price is right.

They need to invest in the part of the market where they will see return. If that means less sales, better exclusivity and a higher mark up, then I will indeed look elsewhere with my peanuts.

I still want a Santa Cruz Chameleon and I do still want to ride the U.... 

Indeed dude, you are totally misreading me LOL

Not telling U-organisers how to market, price or run their event.

Having done the single day event twice and seen footage of their other tracks, this is top notch riding country, so I am salivating to be on them.

I was just putting out there my perspective on why I can't take part - yet. No rant. Just a perspective. No agenda or intention either. Just a discussion and "comparison", as we do on forums.

#justsaying

Enjoy your day peeps