[Event] The U MTB Stage Race

Delanie

after all the hype I did this event last year.

Its so different to any other stage event, firstly with just 200 riders its very boutique, you dont feel like one of the masses like you would at so many other events, you get to know the small team of riders, its true family affair with the owners/farmers/event organizers serving you breakfast themselves, you feel valuable.

The Single track I must warm you, is sick, i hate to say it but you almost wish for a 1 km piece of jeep track just to get a energy bar in and a drink of water, there is simply nothing like it, its simply the best ST you will ever experience and with only 200 riders there are no Qs, its all yours, the setting is amazing, the food is great, 

if you are looking for an event in this price range, and there are many, do this one.

I think so too and completely see where he is coming from.... that said he should start an Ezel 3 day stage race event thread and stop trying to tell the organisers how to market theirs on the thread they started.... (just saying.)

That came out a bit harsh.. I don't mean it like that. But Delanie and Rickus have put a heck of a lot of thought into the way they want the event to run.

I still sound like harsh... sorry MRCG, I really don't mean to! I give up... back to bed to find my nice voice!!!

I suppose it's similar to my rant about no one willing to help me get a frame only Santa Cruz chameleon.... I was bleak but looking at it, organisers/importers can't really look at the peanuts brigade as a business model as that same peanut brigade will just go elsewhere if the price is right.

They need to invest in the part of the market where they will see return. If that means less sales, better exclusivity and a higher mark up, then I will indeed look elsewhere with my peanuts.

I still want a Santa Cruz Chameleon and I do still want to ride the U.... 

Correction - Rickus and Delanie are not the event owners or sole organizers. The event is hosted by Mouton's Valley and Buglers Post - farm owners who are mountain bike crazy...

Hi MTB Enthusiasts! 

We have updated the event info on this page to include the juicy details about the distances and elevation that we have in store for #TheU MTB Stage Race - please note that our team of trail builders are continuously improving and adding new trails which means that these stats might change a bit closer to race weekend - but we will keep you posted!

Remember that online entries will open on the 25th of April!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Team "Bum Cream & Beers" are locked and loaded via Entry Ninja. Even pushed the boat out for some luxury accommodation! Can't wait!

Team "Bum Cream & Beers" are locked and loaded via Entry Ninja. Even pushed the boat out for some luxury accommodation! Can't wait!

That is great news!

Please, don't get the Bum Cream and Beers confused on race day! ;) 

Would probably have selected this one over the w2w, but this year not going to do either. but think next year might just save to do this one..

That was exactly our thinking. Have done W2W the past three years with my current partner. He is from the UK and those 3 times has been his only times to SA. It was great to experience SA through his eyes. He is in awe with our natural beauty here. After doing piket bo berg last year for the first time I decided that we will give W2W a skip and do The U rather. Cant wait to hear his reaction to the trails and nature over there as I was in awe during the Piket bo berg race

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just did my First U This weekend.

WOW WOW WOW

Trails: I'm not kidding when I say this, these are the best trails we have in SA, they are incredible.  The route and topgraphy was mind blowing.   Nice rough technical trails that had it all.   I will never forget these trails it was a privilege to be healthy and able to ride trails like this.  Proper MTb that makes it hard to do other races as these trails are so superior  10/10 for route.

Race Village:  Incredible location, comfortable tents, lots of chill area and a stunning setting. Also I must add the staff that manned the toilets, the bike wash, the tents and the village were brilliant.  Always smiling, everything was cleaned, the place ran like clockwork.  10/10 for Village and staff

The organisers had a tough call to make as winds were hectic on day 1, but they pulled through and a special mention for Rikus for the best pre-race briefing I've ever heard.  Organisation 10/10

Here is the only BUT.  The food!  The food was very disappointing.  After spending 5 hrs and climbed 1650m of brutal track one needs to eat and replenish.  The food served was basically just broccoli salads, couscous salads and not much else.  No meat dishes, no pasta, nothing with substance.  Dinner was even worse.  We got tiny portion sizes.  Although the kitchen did their best the choice of food was wrong.  We needed more variety and more substance, hard to do a stage race on rabbit food. Not asking of fancy food just more variety and more substantial meals. My only gripe I have about the event was the food.  Food 3/10

In summary, THE U is simply the best race I've ever ridden, it is head and shoulders above any other stage race.  Yes, it's expensive and exclusive but worth it.  Only gripe was catering.  Well done to all involved for providing a wonderful experience.

Thank you @Stevief for the great feedback. We always appreciate constructive feedback which we can use to improve the event! 

Noted - we will definitely take this into account when planning the 2019 event!

Hope to see you again next year.

Just did my First U This weekend.

WOW WOW WOW

Trails: I'm not kidding when I say this, these are the best trails we have in SA, they are incredible.  The route and topgraphy was mind blowing.   Nice rough technical trails that had it all.   I will never forget these trails it was a privilege to be healthy and able to ride trails like this.  Proper MTb that makes it hard to do other races as these trails are so superior  10/10 for route.

Race Village:  Incredible location, comfortable tents, lots of chill area and a stunning setting. Also I must add the staff that manned the toilets, the bike wash, the tents and the village were brilliant.  Always smiling, everything was cleaned, the place ran like clockwork.  10/10 for Village and staff

The organisers had a tough call to make as winds were hectic on day 1, but they pulled through and a special mention for Rikus for the best pre-race briefing I've ever heard.  Organisation 10/10

Here is the only BUT.  The food!  The food was very disappointing.  After spending 5 hrs and climbed 1650m of brutal track one needs to eat and replenish.  The food served was basically just broccoli salads, couscous salads and not much else.  No meat dishes, no pasta, nothing with substance.  Dinner was even worse.  We got tiny portion sizes.  Although the kitchen did their best the choice of food was wrong.  We needed more variety and more substance, hard to do a stage race on rabbit food. Not asking of fancy food just more variety and more substantial meals. My only gripe I have about the event was the food.  Food 3/10

In summary, THE U is simply the best race I've ever ridden, it is head and shoulders above any other stage race.  Yes, it's expensive and exclusive but worth it.  Only gripe was catering.  Well done to all involved for providing a wonderful experience.