sani2c

Balooba

Hi guys, 

My wife and I will be doing our first stage race at Sani2C this year and as you can imagine, we have more and more questions each day. 

It would be great to ride and train with people in our area, as this should not only help us prepare but provide us with some experienced panel beating if needed.

We are in Bedfordview and would really appreciate any local assistance! 

Have a read of this from 2017:

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/168139-mrs-slowbee-zero-2-sani-my-sani2c-adventure-2017/

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great read! 

Thanks for sharing 

If you have any questions let me know. I can also ask Mrs Slowbee to help out as well. Not sure on your level of riding. But hey, every little bit helps.

If you have any questions let me know. I can also ask Mrs Slowbee to help out as well. Not sure on your level of riding. But hey, every little bit helps.

Thanks, will definitely take you up on that offer! 

My wife has a few comrades under her belt, I'm not much of a runner or endurance athlete, but I enjoy the technical bits of MTBing. 

She might just be the one pushing me  :wacko:

Morning. Anyone doing their fist stage race always has lots of questions. Just train and pack lightly. This is all I can offer. The race will cater for most things. Packing has always been my problem. On my return I mostly find I have only used a quarter of the stuff I took. Good luck and enjoy it. It is a fun race.

This is actually something we're trying to figure out, for the black boxes and to keep with us during the race.

When we go riding, we take a bottle of water and that's it. 

I get the importance of taking tools and spares, but if I pack everything they suggest I should start training with a backpack full of bricks. 

Also, how strict is the 3L water per person rule?

Thanks, will definitely take you up on that offer! 

My wife has a few comrades under her belt, I'm not much of a runner or endurance athlete, but I enjoy the technical bits of MTBing. 

She might just be the one pushing me  :wacko:

This is actually something we're trying to figure out, for the black boxes and to keep with us during the race.

When we go riding, we take a bottle of water and that's it. 

I get the importance of taking tools and spares, but if I pack everything they suggest I should start training with a backpack full of bricks. 

Also, how strict is the 3L water per person rule?

Did 4 in a row and this year might be number 5

We pack the bare essentials

Bombs

Plugs

Links and tool to fix chain

You can get away with one water bottle on day 1 and day 3 and just fill up at the water points.

Day 2 I would suggest taking more than one bottle as its a long (and could get very warm) climb out of the valley.

Bombs

Plugs

You can get away with one water bottle on day 1 and day 3 and just fill up at the water points.

Day 2 I would suggest taking more than one bottle as its a long (and could get very warm) climb out of the valley.

Agree, but at least you can cool off in the river.

Bombs

Plugs

Great! This is reasonable! 

Thanks for the help. 

Any specific tyres that work well for Sani? 

I'd like to keep my eyes open for specials etc. Just so we can train on a set and have a spare for the race. 

Thanks for the help.

I'd like to keep my eyes open for specials etc. Just so we can train on a set and have a spare for the race.

Main lesson I have learned is not to overthink things. It is just three really lekker rides over three days. Nothing technical, some big uphills and some awesome views. Great food, good fun and a chance to get out and enjoy yourselves.

Thanks for the help. 

I dont think you have to go out and buy new tyres for Sani. 

Trails are all well manicured so you dont need a specific tyre.

Surely certain tyres are better suited for different terrains.  

I'm planning on getting something all-round anyway, but helps to know what everyone else's experience has been in the past.

Surely certain tyres are better suited for different terrains.  

I'm planning on getting something all-round anyway, but helps to know what everyone else's experience has been in the past.

What do you currently have?

What do you currently have?

One bike is on Maxxis Forekaster and the other Maxxis Rekon. 

I would also like to get both running on the same tyre, which helps with spares. 

I'm happy with the Rekon, but I think the Forekaster is too wet weather focussed. 

Day 1 and 3 the route is mainly dirt roads and hard packed single track, so an easy rolling tyre would be perfect.

Day 3 more of the same with one or two water crossing overs pallets/bridges but its dry 99% of the route (except for 2017 when it was so wet they had to change the route on day 2)

Currently riding with Maxxis Ikon front and Ardent rear. 

Unless you are going for a podium..any tyre (in good condition) will work

Day 1 and 3 the route is mainly dirt roads and hard packed single track, so an easy rolling tyre would be perfect.

Day 3 more of the same with one or two water crossing overs pallets/bridges but its dry 99% of the route (except for 2017 when it was so wet they had to change the route on day 2)

Currently riding with Maxxis Ikon front and Ardent rear. 

Unless you are going for a podium..any tyre (in good condition) will work

Thanks for the info and the recommendation. Those are exactly the tyres I had in mind. 

Possibly considering the Ardent Race as a good compromise between the two?

Thanks for the info and the recommendation. Those are exactly the tyres I had in mind. 

Possibly considering the Ardent Race as a good compromise between the two?

Sounds good to me

Some of the other okes will also chime in and give some more info

Maxis Ikon 2.3 at front and Ardent 2.2 at back. Had this combo last year at S2C and it was perfect. Getting such good milage from it that I will possibly not even have to change for this year.

Also doing it with my wife this year. We are entered for Trail (1st of the three)

Riders training in Westrand please let me know and we can join in.