The "I need something you might throw away" thread

Kalahari Vegmot

We are looking for a 16t junior road rear cluster for Shimano freehub. My daughter wants to do the WP Road Cycling champs and have to get the geared rollout for u17 within the regulations. We have one on order but no guarantees it will be here in time (4 weeks), and would like her to train a bit with the lower gearing. Just maybe there is someone that has in the past supported a junior and still has one laying around. Thanks.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a dropoff for old cycling gear in table view / durbanville area ? Maybe at cwc or tygerberg club ? I have shorts / bibs and jerseys that I don’t use anymore, it would be a shame to throw them away

Edited by Jbr

1 hour ago, JAVSA02 said:

We are looking for a 16t junior road rear cluster for Shimano freehub. My daughter wants to do the WP Road Cycling champs and have to get the geared rollout for u17 within the regulations. We have one on order but no guarantees it will be here in time (4 weeks), and would like her to train a bit with the lower gearing. Just maybe there is someone that has in the past supported a junior and still has one laying around. Thanks.

You can always limit the current cassette (or ride with discipline) to get used to not having the higher gears. If you race on this cassette you will however have to physically remove the cogs and put in spacers. Come to think of it, you're more likely to find the 14t Junior variant in which case you will still have to remove 2 gears...

8 hours ago, Wynando said:

Anyone have a worn 11 speed casette around the northern suburbs? I am after the smaller individual gears: 11-17. Needed for a father/son project. 

Ive got an 11-40 11sp Shimano Xt casette if you need it (in good condition) . I'm in joeys though. 

If anyone is going to the northern burbs in CT from the big smoke then you're welcome to it. (I have someone going down to slaapstad on the 5th Jan if you want to wait?) 

PM me if you're interested

I'm looking for a 10spd with 11-42 or 46T. My wife is swearing at the 11-40T. Otherwise a 28T four bolt NW shimano front ring

6 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

You can always limit the current cassette (or ride with discipline) to get used to not having the higher gears. If you race on this cassette you will however have to physically remove the cogs and put in spacers. Come to think of it, you're more likely to find the 14t Junior variant in which case you will still have to remove 2 gears...

Thanks. There are so many options. Smaller chainring with the 14 (for which there are also stock issues). Last resort is mtb crank with 36t on the current cluster.  Discipline? From a racing snake that just wants to ride away from me? But yes, I could just restrict the limits on the derailleur for training purposes. 

On 12/17/2021 at 8:43 AM, TheoG said:

OD:  36.5mm; ID:  33mm; 0.95 mm Thick

I'm still looking for this spacer.   Surely there must be someone that replaced their Shimano 12 speed cassette by now?  This spacer is used on all the Shimano 12 speed cassettes (Deore, SLX, XT & XTR) just in different positions.  Shimano Part Number: Y-0GX00300 or Y-1X400300.

Please, if you have a worn out cassette, I only need literally the smallest component on it (apart from the low spacer on the XTR).

Bump.  If you about to chuck a finished 12sp micro spline cassette in the bin, please think of me .... 🙈😂

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a front QR skewer lying around? I have converted 1 of my kids bike to QR and the skewer I have is for the rear and too long.

6 minutes ago, dalem44 said:

Does anyone have a front QR skewer lying around? I have converted 1 of my kids bike to QR and the skewer I have is for the rear and too long.

I should have one for you, will check my parts bin. Where are you located?

27 minutes ago, dalem44 said:

Have a couple lying about but I am in Durban.  As a matter of interest, what is the length of that rear skewer?  I am looking for a super long skewer as spare for my Old Man rack.

Busy servicing a 20" bike ....

Was bought 2nd hand, taken to a known cycle shop for a service ....

I noticed the brakes needed some fine tuning and started down a wormhole .....

Need to visit Mark tomorrow to see if he has stock -

Screenshot_20220105-190052_Gallery.jpg.0b194a542a87618e2ca838d15a94a419.jpg

Screenshot_20220105-190108_Gallery.jpg.fd7297bc1bafce4e530267005c7523c6.jpg

Seems the other shop serviced the wheel bearings and replaced the tires .... cleary made no attempt at checking the BB ....

3 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Busy servicing a 20" bike ....

Was bought 2nd hand, taken to a known cycle shop for a service ....

I noticed the brakes needed some fine tuning and started down a wormhole .....

Need to visit Mark tomorrow to see if he has stock -

Screenshot_20220105-190052_Gallery.jpg.0b194a542a87618e2ca838d15a94a419.jpg

Screenshot_20220105-190108_Gallery.jpg.fd7297bc1bafce4e530267005c7523c6.jpg

Seems the other shop serviced the wheel bearings and replaced the tires .... cleary made no attempt at checking the BB ....

I am almost sure that I will be able to assist. 

32 minutes ago, Sepia said:

Have a couple lying about but I am in Durban.  As a matter of interest, what is the length of that rear skewer?  I am looking for a super long skewer as spare for my Old Man rack.

I am also in KZN on the north coast - Salt Rock.

The skewer I have Is 185mm from the outer end of the nut to the tip of the threaded side. 

57 minutes ago, Chip said:

I should have one for you, will check my parts bin. Where are you located?

I am in KZN so I have replied to Sepia as he is closer. Thanks for the effort!!

OD:  36.5mm; ID:  33mm; 0.95 mm Thick

I'm still desperately looking for this spacer.   Surely there must be someone that replaced their Shimano 12 speed cassette by now?  This spacer is used on all the Shimano 12 speed cassettes (Deore, SLX, XT & XTR) just in different positions.  Shimano Part Number: Y-0GX00300 or Y-1X400300.

Please, if you have a worn out cassette, I only need literally the smallest component on it (apart from the low spacer on the XTR).

Question:  I'm considering to order a 3D print for it.  To do it in metal (316 Stainless) is going to cost R825 and from high density plastic R194.  Since its a spacer between the cogs on a cassette its going to get compressed, will the plastic be able to handle the compression and should I rather go for the metal option?