[Event] 2018 The Munga

walkerr

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So a quick question to all the experienced Munga guys. How did the gravel bikes do on this race and would you consider something like a gravel bike for this race? Some people say the only bike for this race is a full suspension to save your body a little more. Would like to hear what you guys think...

So a quick question to all the experienced Munga guys. How did the gravel bikes do on this race and would you consider something like a gravel bike for this race? Some people say the only bike for this race is a full suspension to save your body a little more. Would like to hear what you guys think...

Sam81. It has been said or suggested in the past to ride this race on your bike you feel the most comfortable with. There are entrants who did it on gravel bikes, hard tails, and full suspension. It will all depend on your bike you generally favor for long rides that is going to give you the confidence to feel the most relaxed to stay in the saddle for the duration of the ride. Therefore no matter what other people say, ride the bike you think is the best suited for you for this race.

Just as a side note. You mentioned maybe doing the Munga with a Camel bag. I did it with one and it was never an issue. (I could only fit 2 bottles onto my bike and had another 2 to 3 liters in my camel bag) you are going to experience all sorts of pains and discomforts during the ride, so the additional back pain won’t even be noticed. ( I never ever used a camel pack for any of my races before. These include J2C, Trans Bavian, and 360ne racers). I then started doing all my long training rides first with the empty pack, and over a period adding more and more things into the pack. This way I never felt any discomfort.

Also remember to leave space on your handle bars for lights, GPS. I also fitted TT bars which was a total waist as I probably used it less than 2 hours for the complete ride. (This was again not practicing with it long enough) Good luck on your training and just remember this important thing. Your fitness is probably only going to count for about 20% of the race. Your mental strength is going to count 80%.

Good luck on your training and just remember this important thing. Your fitness is probably only going to count for about 20% of the race. Your mental strength is going to count 80%.

Wise advice. Your mind will want to give up way before your body is done. Keeping your head in the game is the real battle.

@ Bat - that is very true. Was just reading all the old cycling war stories about FS, HT and now the gravel bikes. I will be doing the Munga on my full suspension because that is what I've been using for the last 2 years. The mind is a very powerful thing, all depend on how you use it. About the camelbak. I've been using that since forever, and maybe thats the reason why I hate it so much. But at the end I might just use it again..

Sam81. It has been said or suggested in the past to ride this race on your bike you feel the most comfortable with. There are entrants who did it on gravel bikes, hard tails, and full suspension. It will all depend on your bike you generally favor for long rides that is going to give you the confidence to feel the most relaxed to stay in the saddle for the duration of the ride. Therefore no matter what other people say, ride the bike you think is the best suited for you for this race.

Just as a side note. You mentioned maybe doing the Munga with a Camel bag. I did it with one and it was never an issue. (I could only fit 2 bottles onto my bike and had another 2 to 3 liters in my camel bag) you are going to experience all sorts of pains and discomforts during the ride, so the additional back pain won’t even be noticed. ( I never ever used a camel pack for any of my races before. These include J2C, Trans Bavian, and 360ne racers). I then started doing all my long training rides first with the empty pack, and over a period adding more and more things into the pack. This way I never felt any discomfort.

Also remember to leave space on your handle bars for lights, GPS. I also fitted TT bars which was a total waist as I probably used it less than 2 hours for the complete ride. (This was again not practicing with it long enough) Good luck on your training and just remember this important thing. Your fitness is probably only going to count for about 20% of the race. Your mental strength is going to count 80%.

Hi Bat,

What I dig about this post, is that it perfectly illustrates exactly what you are saying in terms of what ever works for you as an individual.

I fully agree with you concerning bike choice. I fully agree with you on the 80 vs 20 rule.

What I dont agree with is the Camelbak and the TT bar.

My staff ride on my back 24/7 . I enjoyed 4 days with nothing on my back.

The thought of riding with a Camelbak was never part of my planning. I enjoy the freedom of movement. So I improvised as to pass water inspection with bottles mounted on my bike. But..... once again, what ever works for you.

In my opinion, the TT bar was by far the most important piece of equipmemt. It allowed me to tackle that headwind and was also comfortable when grinding out the miles. I was used to it as all my training from 1 September was done fully kitted and race ready. I must however mention thatI didnt use it once before vd Kloof. So no use in first 250 odd km Thereafter itwas my go to position.

The point that I am trying to make here is that one size does not fit all in the MUNGA.

Experiment and find what works for you as an individual. And dont leave it too late. Train in your race ready configuration as far as possible.

The point that I am trying to make here is that one size does not fit all in the MUNGA.

Experiment and find what works for you as an individual. And dont leave it too late. Train in your race ready configuration as far as possible.

Hi Vetseun

This is also what I tried to make the point about. That advice is always appreciated from people who have firsthand experience, but as you just mentioned again, each person will need to finally decide for themselves what will work or not.

(The camel pack, and lack of training with the TT bars was my own experience, and should I do it again, I will probably use the same setup as before, as that made me feel comfortable . Also the reason for the camel pack decision last year was because of the race the previous year when it was so hot and windy, and how many contestants dropped out almost in the first 200km due to dehydration) I therefore tried to give my experience and what worked for me, not imply what should be used or not used for the Munga. But I am sure you will agree?

Off the subject of training preparation.

So, have you entered again?

So at this stage I am using my Merida Carbon MTB for the Munga. I really do not want to carry any weight on my back so decided to go with bottles on my mtb. However the Carbon Full suspension frame is made for one bottle. Any good products to add bottles to the bottom frame and maybe on the forks? Have been looking at Wolftooth products.

You can use insulation tape to tape bottle cages to the down tube as you wish. If it is good enough for one of the winners it is good enough for you and is cheap as chips. Also easier to access than on the back of your pack.

Edited by TDFN

Nice setup.I used the same tri bars last year .Please remember to put lock tite on all bolts.

also toss the normal bottles buy camelback bottles they will save you.There is nothing worse than trying to drink water that's 30 deg. The camelback bottles works like a dream.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like it`s going to be a cracker at the sharp end of the Munga, I see Ramses Bekkenk is now also riding will be interesting to see what he will do

Looks like it`s going to be a cracker at the sharp end of the Munga, I see Ramses Bekkenk is now also riding will be interesting to see what he will do

Where do you see the entry list

Where do you see the entry list

I saw it on the KMC-FruitToGo instagram page last night, no entry list available yet, but with Marco confirming his title defence, it`s going to get interesting

Edited by CobusF