[Event] 2018 The Munga

walkerr

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the TCR?

Race that crosses Europe. It's arguably the race that popularised unsupported ultra distance racing. I know that Tour Divide predated TCR, but that's not technically a race, and didn't generate the amount of buzz that TCR did.

http://mikewoolnough.blogspot.com/2018/12/the-munga-2018-race-thats-almost-great.html

It's sad to hear about these issues. Hopefully they are sorted out in future editions.

Agree 100% what was said. I personally thinks past winners (and top 10 finishers) will feel cheated with regards to this years superhuman time to complete the race. (I even felt almost to embarrassed to recall to my wife my time for finishing the 2017 Munga in just under 4 days. Almost two days longer than this years winner , Not that I was in their league at all)

Agree 100% what was said. I personally thinks past winners (and top 10 finishers) will feel cheated with regards to this years superhuman time to complete the race. (I even felt almost to embarrassed to recall to my wife my time for finishing the 2017 Munga in just under 4 days. Almost two days longer than this years winner , Not that I was in their league at all)

I did not think Mike was talking about the winners, but rather midpack riders.

Race that crosses Europe. It's arguably the race that popularised unsupported ultra distance racing. I know that Tour Divide predated TCR, but that's not technically a race, and didn't generate the amount of buzz that TCR did.

Not a race? Great divide race predated it in the same route

Not sure what you are implying here. Did Ramses cheat?

Edit: I understand there should be emphasis on you finishing within 4 days? Well done

Edited by peetwindhoek

http://mikewoolnough.blogspot.com/2018/12/the-munga-2018-race-thats-almost-great.html

It's sad to hear about these issues. Hopefully they are sorted out in future editions.

I see where he is coming from. Someone that did all events since inauguration. Someone who finishes within the top 20%.

I saw footage of groups (5 or so riders) within the 5m “race rule”. And know of couples that did it “together”. (It did not bother me). Mike is frustrated about it though.

Edit: horrific spelling

Edited by peetwindhoek

I did not think Mike was talking about the winners, but rather midpack riders.

Yes I do agree Mike was not talking about the winners. (But I personally think the past winners must still feel hard done) I also heard from one of the top five finishers of this yeas Munga about support ahead of him. Also no names mentioned.

The Munga should stick to it’s original rules, or change it.

Are you going to tell Mike Hall (founder of TCR) , Josh Kato,  Leal Wilcox and even Mr. Munga, Alex Harris,  that Tour Divide they did was not a race?  :whistling:

The Munga is ultra distance for sure. 

But compared to TD and TCR and TransAM it is definitely not unsupported. 

"Race village" and "Water point" and "unsupported" does not go together.   

As soon as something is created for the race,  that is not there for everybody on all the other 365 days of the year, then it is no longer unsupported. 

Nothing against the Munga, I love it and watch the dots every year and dream of maybe one day . . . .  

My 1000th post . . . . finally I can get to those classifieds . . . . :devil: 

Edited by IH8MUD

The downside is there will now be people entering who will want the finishing medal at any cost. Including bending, morphing, altering, breaking the rules, doing anything to get to the finish.

As this ride gets bigger, this notion of "not in the ethos of unsupported" is going to mean less and less. And so the rules will get more complicated and the policing will have to go up.

Personally if I am riding in the middle of nowhere, and there are support cars racing up and down past me, then I am no longer in the middle of nowhere, but on a road. And of course someone can help me fix my bike, give me water etc etc etc.

The Munga is growing up ! The rules will have to evolve as well.

Perhaps an over simplistic view but why even have rules if you're not going to stick to them?

I think that you have summed it well. Some races also apply rules selectively depending whether you are at the sharp end or are one of the cattle. This imo, creates confusion and animosity. Rather don't have a rule if you are not prepared/can't/don't want to police it and carry out the consequences.

Edited by Dusty

Are you going to tell Mike Hall (founder of TCR) , Josh Kato,  Leal Wilcox and even Mr. Munga, Alex Harris,  that Tour Divide they did was not a race?  :whistling:

The Munga is ultra distance for sure. 

But compared to TD and TCR and TransAM it is definitely not unsupported. 

"Race village" and "Water point" and "unsupported" does not go together.   

As soon as something is created for the race,  that is not there for everybody on all the other 365 days of the year, then it is no longer unsupported. 

Nothing against the Munga, I love it and watch the dots every year and dream of maybe one day . . . .  

My 1000th post . . . . finally I can get to those classifieds . . . . :devil: 

good luck with that.

like really good luck with that.