[Event] 2018 The Munga

walkerr

What is with all this lets have different classifications and relaxing of rules??

The Munga has been sold as a self supported Ultra Endurance Event and that is what it should be..... not a 4 day coffee ride!!

The more you start deviating from this the more you diminish the event !! 

What we all feel is just words. It's down to the organizers to do what they must to be able to run a viable ride every year with enough racers and riders to attract sponsors and host the events. Bike and MTB events the world over are battling to attract a full enough field to do that, and some have failed too. Even some of the toughest, fully unsupported Ultra Endurance events such as TCR have recognised the need for a split classification in order to appeal to enough riders to continue as a viable event. Doesn't really make any of them coffee rides - they're all still effing tough. Ultimately though, it's down to the organizers to plan and host the race they believe will be a success. Personally I hope The Munga thrives for many years to come however they manage that. It's a unique journey that leaves everyone a different person I believe, whether they raced it or rode it.

Edited by walkerr

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great achievement; as an armchair Mungaloid I have the greatest respect for everyone who started, let alone finished.

But one thing from Mike Woolnough's comments:

GATES: Asseblief / please, close those gates. As a farm owner it's dangerous and disrespectful and could lead to the race's demise (IMHO).

Leave a gate open; one warning then DQ.

What a great achievement; as an armchair Mungaloid I have the greatest respect for everyone who started, let alone finished.

But one thing from Mike Woolnough's comments:

GATES: Asseblief / please, close those gates. As a farm owner it's dangerous and disrespectful and could lead to the race's demise (IMHO).

Leave a gate open; one warning then DQ.

I agree, all efforts should be made to keep the gates closed. However, we were told if there's a gate open, then it's OK to leave it open. Problems arise when riders open a gate and leave it open, the next rider then thinks it's an open gate and leaves it open as well. It will be hard to trace which rider left the gate open in the first place.

I agree, all efforts should be made to keep the gates closed. However, we were told if there's a gate open, then it's OK to leave it open. Problems arise when riders open a gate and leave it open, the next rider then thinks it's an open gate and leaves it open as well. It will be hard to trace which rider left the gate open in the first place.

Very valid point. I have brain stormed this issue. This is the ultimate issue. Is it closed? Close it again. Is it open? Leave it open. But........ What if the rider before you left the gate open.

I, in the beginning could not understand what the fuss was about. Until a farmer explained to me.

He has a cattle stud. Prize beasts.

If a gate is left open . Wrong bull vs wrong cow. You stuff up a bloodline by leaving one gate open. Understood.

Bottom line okes, we need to respect the fact that farmers allow us access to their land. We have to respect it or we will lose it.

Very valid point. I have brain stormed this issue. This is the ultimate issue. Is it closed? Close it again. Is it open? Leave it open. But........ What if the rider before you left the gate open.

I, in the beginning could not understand what the fuss was about. Until a farmer explained to me.

He has a cattle stud. Prize beasts.

If a gate is left open . Wrong bull vs wrong cow. You stuff up a bloodline by leaving one gate open. Understood.

Bottom line okes, we need to respect the fact that farmers allow us access to their land. We have to respect it or we will lose it.

I think, as Mike said, if the gate is left about 1 metre open, just enough for you to cycle through, than a previous rider obviously didn't close it and you should close it again.

My husband has had median nerve palsy since finishing Munga on 1 Dec. Any advice? How does one treat it? He has pins and needles in his fingers. Very uncomfortable.

My husband has had median nerve palsy since finishing Munga on 1 Dec. Any advice? How does one treat it? He has pins and needles in his fingers. Very uncomfortable.

Suffered in hands (and also feet) after a number of long rides. Only time has really healed it, never found or heard of anything else - although massages etc might ease things. Usually a few weeks and it'll improve, really bad cases can take a few months though.

If a gate is supposed to be open it will typically be fully open as in 90 degrees or more to allow a bakkie to get through. If it’s any less than that then I assume it’s supposed to be closed. Even more so if it’s barely open enough to allow a bicycle through.

I had other riders near me say “leave it open the next guys are almost here.” Sorry that’s nonsense. Unless you physically hand a gate to another rider then you have a responsibility to close it even if it means closing the gate on a rider who is only 20 or 30 metres away.

I don’t buy the narrative that goes, “Well I found it slightly ajar so I left it the way I found it.”

Alex did say at race briefing that if you weren’t sure then default to closing gates.

Edited by Mike Woolnough

If a gate is supposed to be open it will typically be fully open as in 90 degrees or more to allow a bakkie to get through. If it’s any less than that then I assume it’s supposed to be closed. Even more so if it’s barely open enough to allow a bicycle through.

I had other riders near me say “leave it open the next guys are almost here.” Sorry that’s nonsense. Unless you physically hand a gate to another rider then you have a responsibility to close it even if it means closing the gate on a rider who is only 20 or 30 metres away.

I don’t buy the narrative that goes, “Well I found it slightly ajar so I left it the way I found it.”

Alex did say at race briefing that if you weren’t sure then default to closing gates.

+1000 Edited by Vetseun

Ah at last, common sense and decency emerges from the haze  :thumbup:

Reading this thread about ultra endurance events no one has mentioned Race to the rock an over 3000km unsupported race in Australia. I think this could be rated as one of the toughest.

https://instagram.com/racetotherock?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=3zgzhup8marx

BTW after riding Tour of Ara where the rule is “CLOSE THE GATES” it’s quite easy to see if the gate is always open or not. If it’s always open there will be weeds and debris in front of the open gate, if it’s supposed to be closed there will be drag marks across the road from opening and closing. Pretty simple to work out really.

Edited by Barry_W

Gates: have a zero motorcycle (somebody ahead of the strongest rider leaving LEAVE CLOSE throw-away signs (could be as simple as a large red cable-tie ... ideally more visually prominent for those, erm, not drafting and a little more fatigued) on applicable gates?

My understanding is, that for the most part, the gate saga largely only applies to part of the route.

Now if Alex happens to need a zero motorbike rider ...  :whistling:

Hi Marietjie. As Walkerr mentioned only with time will it get better. It took me almost to middle February for my hands to be heeled. Also spoke to my GP about it (he is a ultra runner himself) and said one don’t need to worry about it as it is like pinched nerves and it will get better.

Edited by Bat

• 2 months later...

Allthough it is a bit late I feel I have to react to the "cheating"subject.

My English is not that well, but I feel there are people thinking I had support along the way.

It is true my mom was at all the RV's. However she didn't give any support (except for some nice words). That may not be in the spirit of an unsupported race ( which I wasn't aware of).

However, she has never been along the road (there was an uci commisaire to check that), She didn't hand me anything or gave me any tactical advise. Even though I forgot my bottles at RV 1

I know it is hard for any organisation to check all of the riders in such a big event. But if you want an event to grow there should be some people doing updates about the riders. I think the RV's are excellent places to do so, as well as it is nice for people to see ther family or friends and cheer them on. I think it is pretty easy to check if there are any vehicles on the course that are supporting any riders...

• 1 month later...

Allthough it is a bit late I feel I have to react to the "cheating"subject.

My English is not that well, but I feel there are people thinking I had support along the way.

It is true my mom was at all the RV's. However she didn't give any support (except for some nice words). That may not be in the spirit of an unsupported race ( which I wasn't aware of).

However, she has never been along the road (there was an uci commisaire to check that), She didn't hand me anything or gave me any tactical advise. Even though I forgot my bottles at RV 1

I know it is hard for any organisation to check all of the riders in such a big event. But if you want an event to grow there should be some people doing updates about the riders. I think the RV's are excellent places to do so, as well as it is nice for people to see ther family or friends and cheer them on. I think it is pretty easy to check if there are any vehicles on the course that are supporting any riders...

Hello Ramses I asked the organizers whether I can support someone at the water points and that was exactly the rules set out by them. So no rules where broken. Even later but just saying :) Edited by Mads