R7500 budget - new MTB or second hand?

amecily

Without a doubt go 2nd hand. You will get a much better bike at that price point. If you are willing to go for a 26er you will get an excellent bike...

Some of our club members ride the Liv bikes. They really impressed me. None of the bikes on your list is bad. They will all serve you well.

As always, the starting point is what terrain will you be riding?

As a newbie to cycling, I assume you will want to feel your way into it...get used to gravel and possibly cleats? Which area are you form and riding in?

For a "slow" start, and not wanting to possibly pursue technical rides, possibly more road and light gravel, then any of the above bikes will do a decent job for you while you suss it all out. Especially as you say, you may lose interest....which doesn't bode well methinks.

If however, you're not afraid, are a go-getter, like technical stuff and get a high from being off-road, then the bikes above have serious limitations....

I picked up a highly specced Morewood Zula for my wife around 4 years ago. She's still riding it. Its had a transmission upgrade and more recently a dropper post fitted but otherwise is pretty much as it was  It was R10k. They are cheaper now if you can find one. I saw a size large at a race this weekend. A bike like that will serve you far better than a low end hard tail and you will get years of use out of it even as your skills improve. 

Edited by Headshot

Wow, thanks everyone! :)

So in terms of terrain, my husband and I live in Fourways (we're both getting bikes). There are some nice farms around, so we'll do some riding there, as well as on road. There's also a bike park called PwC Cycle Park that my husband is dying to visit. 

A friend of ours just offered my husband his Merida TFS 600 xc, 26", image attached (still waiting on price, will be less than R4500). How does this compare with the ones I listed above, is it better? But the guy at Cycle Lab said that we should go 27.5" as we'll find 26ers slow. Is this true?

post-128696-0-29197100-1524164688_thumb.jpeg

But the guy at Cycle Lab said that we should go 27.5" as we'll find 26ers slow. Is this true?

yes. largely true, though in my experience, 29ers are even faster. If you want to go fast, there are fast bikes and faster bikes. If you want to have a workout and have fun doing it, then going fast is should be immaterial. For that, you need a bike that fits you, is reliable and when you need a spare part, you can get it. oh, and it should be quiet... nothing more annoying and a bike that sounds like a bucket of rusty spanners, but perhaps that's just me  :whistling:

I would say buy new... Being new to the sport one often lacks the skills to know what to look at in a second hand bike. New has got warranties that are great to know you have. Then I must second the Liv Tempt it's a great bike, my wife has got one & loves it!!! Or maybe the Silverback Slade...

Edited by TiggerT

Ok yeah, the farms around Fourways give an easy entry and relaxed riding to get into it all. Good thing you're doing it as a pair - it helps to stick it out and motivate each other. If you're really keen don't overthink it, just do it. It's not like you can't upgrade and the "loss" is never huge. Therefore 26, 650b (27.5) or 29 is fairly immaterial to a newbie. Ride and enjoy for a year then consider better. Sell on.

I would always try to spend a bit more as the experience just gets better. But definitely not new - new bikes in that price range are "limited".

Some basic tips....from past experience

Get the right size bike! May sound obvious but many of us have either been on a bike that is too big or too small, fortunately most bike manufacturers have a sizing chart.

Don't buy what you don't need, if you're riding gravel roads (jeep track) 29er hardtail forsure in that budget, pedals easy and makes cycling more enjoyable(After all the point is to to enjoy yourself while being healthy) but there is nothing wrong with 26er wheels, There are some bargains to be had.

Cycling kit... this is an expensive part. My ten cents would be to start on a set of flat pedals (builds confidence and you can ride in trainers for now....until the bug bites) for now all you need is a good chamois (first accent or something similar) don't try ride without chamois... Just don't... also you don't wear undies under chamois either.

Tools... you can get semi decent multitools from sportsmans warehouse along with chamois and hydration packs/water bottles

KEEP IT SIMPLE!

I would say buy new... Being new to the sport one often lacks the skills to know what to look at in a second hand bike. New has got warranties that are great to know you have. Then I must second the Liv Tempt it's a great bike, my wife has got one & loves it!!! Or maybe the Silverback Slade...

Have to agree, yes secondhand is better value for money but if you are new to the sport and already lost & intimidated between all the decisions how do you distinguish between a stinker and a great deal? Much easier to buy your next bike secondhand if you have been riding a while and know what you want & need.

And I cringe everytime someone suggest to a newbie to buy a 26er, yeah they still have their fanboys but really the sport has moved on since 2012, that is why you can pick them up for so cheap. Vast majority of riders are on now larger wheelsizes.

I would say 2nd hand, but perhaps think about getting a 29er with 10spd. I hear what the others are saying about a 26er - but the cheapest tubeless 26er tire I can find is like R600. Also, 10spd parts are usually much cheaper than 7/8/9spd parts too. So a 29er wil be cheaper to maintain.