2018 94.7 training for a newbie

Hi All,

I have a family member that expressed interest in doing and completing the 94.7 road race in 2018.
The family member does take part in crossfit, but no cardio exercises as far as I'm aware.

If they are to be fit enough by November 2018 for a 95km ride, what sort of training would you all advise to get them from 0 to 100km rides?
I'll be doing the ride with them, probably on my mountain bike with slicks as motivation probably, but they will also be doing it on a 3x7 shimano altus hardtail- is this being unrealistic in terms of equipment and time?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

FitTrack

They offer free training plans whereby you can choose how much hours you can put in per week.

Hope this helps. :)

Thank you, Andrew- it's a good place to start!

I have seen quite a few interesting bikes @ 94.7 in the last 7 years...so a 3x7 speed MTB should not be extreme...you do not need a carbon bike to enjoy and complete the 94.7.

I don't live in JHB, but I hear that the Cradle loop is the "GO TO" place to train for the 94.7, as there are a bunch of hills...and you can do the loop 2 - 3 - 4 times as you get fitter.

Some people also travel to SUIKERBOSRAND reserve for training...that is not for the faint-hearted...so be prepared when you visit there...maybe August / September after the training has been ongoing for about 3 to 4 months.

Good luck with the training and enjoy the 94.7 day...it's a JOL and LEKKER atmosphere!!!

Assume goal is for him/her to take part and complete the race and have a good time doing it? If so a regular Crossfitter should not battle in terms of fitness, obviously time on the bike is ideal but Crossfit as a base would serve him/her well - the proposed bike would probably also be fine.

Just a matter of managing expectations ie they are not going to get a sub 3 but should be able to soak up the atmosphere and enjoy it.

Edited by Wet Ears

Thanks Cassie and Wet Ears, I value your feedback.
Suikberbosrand is a good idea. I've been there as its close for me, but the family member lives in Pta- if they're serious, I'm sure they'll be alright travelling to the cradle or suikerbos.
And yes, managing expectations is a good point- keeping it fun is probably important for this first attempt!

Totally realistic. Start September, do a couple of 30's, a 55-ish over weekends and an 80 (Satellite Classic).

Worked fine for me to do 94.7 on a 650b 3x7 with knobbies. Also tried a 3x7 29er last year, again with knobbies. (But I added the Tshwane Classic in the mix)

(PS : Or was it a 3x8 perhaps?) 

Edited by Pieter-za

There is no need to train unless he has certain goals in terms of the time he wants to do - he sound fairly fit. If he is healthy and does crossfit regularly as you say I recon he will finish even if it is in 8hrs... I have seen some terribly unfit people make it.

But start and see what he can manage - 15km is a good start and build the distance bit by bit.

Tits tits tits. more Time In The Saddle the better he will do - you don't want to slow roast for 8hrs on the road. And being comfortable for the time he is out there is more important - more enjoyment of the experience.

My suggestion would be to spend gradually increasing time on the bike. Sounds obvious but when you think of the things that could make the 947 unpleasant eg sore contact points (bum, feet, hands), sore body from the duration, fear of riding around so many people, lack of control of the bike, handling long hills, fast descents, these can all become matter of fact the longer someone spends on a bike just riding for a few hours a week, and they'll get fitter too. I have friends who ride 947 every year using exactly this approach; they don't call it training, they call it practice, which is probably the better term for it.

The Cradle is a great place to ride with many options to ride of whatever distance. Plenty of places for a post-ride coffee and meal to make the whole training experience a better one. Suikerbosrand is far tougher, constraining (its a one-way system so no u-turns if you get tired) and has fast descents which shouldn't be under-estimated but it is beautiful. I'd suggest keeping this for another day until your family member gets fitter (and perhaps stronger?).

3x7 will be fine. Save some money rather and gets slicks. And eyeball the fit of the bike and make adjustments as you see fit.

A slight hijack: Who else thinks that the entry fee is starting to get a bit ridiculous considering that last year there was not even a goody pack?

....you're just missing a comment on the weather and you'd have the trifecta in April!

Sounds like you guys want to kill the oke before he even gets to 94.7... let him get used to riding a bike and doing some cardio work and slowly build it up. There is no need to train if he just gets used to riding and then doing longer distances - as time goes on start working in some hills. Just enjoy riding and the training will almost come automatically. Unless he wants a structured workout and wants to do a sub 3hr his first 94.7 on a 3x7 hardtail 26er with knobbly tyres and a sticky brake. :lol:

+1 on the entry fees. But that could be said about most of the races now... seems everyone added 33% VAT since most have gone from R300 odd to R400 odd or worse.

But yes that's :offtopic:

Edited by s14phoenix