The Great Shock Tune Thread

Bos

So when everybody except the DH'ers were running Fox float RP23 rear shox and no one except the fat okes had issues with compression tunes, volume and shock pressure life was great. Bikes mostly had 90-120 mm rear suspension and perhaps the need was not quite there for such intricate tuning throughout the spring curve, or axel path or whatever you call it.. 

So time is 2018 and I'm possibly slower to adapt than the masses because I use to "just ride the damn thing". 

However a progression of trails in recent years and the introduction of Enduro has caused other okes to ride a little faster and I cant quite get the DH KOM's on my 4 inch XC bike anymore (Thats a joke)

I have since tried out a Silverback Sprada(110mm/120mm and now bought a new frame which came without a rear shock and kind of lead to this thread. 

I hastily brought a Fox Float RP2 performance with the correct eye to eye at a song here on the hub however the Compression tune (Firm) might be to much. I've since ridden the new frame with the shock and I almost want to say the untrained ass wont notice it, but I can feel the suspension is not as plush as it should be. Im guessing its the firm tune in the compression. Guess based on my last bike which has a similar four bar/ Horst link suspension and although had a slightly higher leverage ratio it had a Medium tune(Felt really good)

Therefore I should be going to a lighter tune, not higher.

So again I jumped on the classifieds and hooked up a Nice Fox Float DPS EVOL that was off a Bronson. The tune on this shock was Compression L Rebound L and Climb L (means low)

As most of you will know one can check the details of the shock by uploading the 4 digit code to: 

http://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike

So In trying to find out if the shock will need tuning again I got googling and found this very nifty shock tune guide by our friends at RockShox.

https://qbp.com/diagrams/TechInfo/vivid.pdf

• Has anyone managed to find something like this for Fox?
  • How big a difference is there in Medium Firm and Low compression tunes?

• How much can one manipulate these with air spring volume adjustments which is actually way more adjustable than the compression which we all just have 3 tunes to pick from.. 

• What tunes work best with a slight Rising rate? What works well with a VPP ? 

Fire away..I'm going on lunch.

post-1279-0-53550500-1524564529_thumb.jpg

post-1279-0-69361000-1524564546_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bos

Yassis, that was one helluva technical read... I know you talking about a rear shock and compressions and what not... But the rest was just mind boggling to try to understand... Just shows what I know about rear shocks and adjustments etc...

Thanks for this, will be following this thread...  :thumbup:

Yassis, that was one helluva technical read... I know you talking about a rear shock and compressions and what not... But the rest was just mind boggling to try to understand... Just shows what I know about rear shocks and adjustments etc...

Thanks for this, will be following this thread...  :thumbup:

Sorry.. Like I said I had to be somewhere for lunch. I'll try edit and make simpler. 

Its aimed at Rear suspension design and what pro's and cons' they hold and how best to set your shock up for it? 

You should try read this...

https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/ultimate-guide-to-mountain-bike-rear-suspension-systems-50849/

Sorry.. Like I said I had to be somewhere for lunch. I'll try edit and make simpler. 

Its aimed at Rear suspension design and what pro's and cons' they hold and how best to set your shock up for it? 

You should try read this...

https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/ultimate-guide-to-mountain-bike-rear-suspension-systems-50849/

What about sticking a Shockwiz on and seeing what it says about your settings?

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/464575/

Vorsprung does a series of videos on suspension, if you're interested in learning more about it.

Thank you. 

I think my real question have more to do with specific suspension designs and shock tuning specific to the design.

@PieterF not a bad Idea. However I'm sure there's plenty of threads discussing the values of shockwiz ? Had any experience with it?

Thank you. 

I think my real question have more to do with specific suspension designs and shock tuning specific to the design.

@PieterF not a bad Idea. However I'm sure there's plenty of threads discussing the values of shockwiz ? Had any experience with it?

In short - the different tunes have a marked difference on performance. It's essentially a different "shim stack" that deflects more or less easily to control the flow of oil through the channels it needs to go through. A "high" tune will require more force to deflect those shims than a "low" tune will, which means it will be "stiffer" 

Best bet - send it off to the guys at PUSH in PE, with a note on how you ride, how heavy you are, which bike it is and what your expectations are. They'll tune it (either shock) to have the correct tune for you and your bike. 

The incorrect tune will not suit the bike. It'll either go through its travel too easily, or won't go through its travel at all unless exposed to far higher forces than the frame designers intended. 

In short - the different tunes have a marked difference on performance. It's essentially a different "shim stack" that deflects more or less easily to control the flow of oil through the channels it needs to go through. A "high" tune will require more force to deflect those shims than a "low" tune will, which means it will be "stiffer" 

Best bet - send it off to the guys at PUSH in PE, with a note on how you ride, how heavy you are, which bike it is and what your expectations are. They'll tune it (either shock) to have the correct tune for you and your bike. 

The incorrect tune will not suit the bike. It'll either go through its travel too easily, or won't go through its travel at all unless exposed to far higher forces than the frame designers intended. 

Thanks Myles

For sure, sending it off is always the solution, however i'm looking at opening that can of worms right here.

I know you've been riding since before the flood, so here's a question, for the last 10 years, have you been riding different bikes with the same compression tune? or has your Giant had a M, your Enduro a Low and your Pyga a Firm? (example)

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Riding since the flood... Good one. 

Nope. Been on a Giant since I graduated to full sus back in 2013 (i think) which has a Medium / Medium tune. 

Nothing different to that. 

If you want to get into the shim stack editing side of things, there is a company in CT that does them. Chat to Capricorn about it - I think he's done some shim stack editing before. 

sjoe Bos, I've dipped my tow into these waters, and then decided to take it out and go back to my comfort zone. 

maybe Phone the the Andrews at Stoke Suspension Works. They actually know what is going on and what you'll need to turn the squish into lekker squish. 

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Riding since the flood... Good one. 

Nope. Been on a Giant since I graduated to full sus back in 2013 (i think) which has a Medium / Medium tune. 

Nothing different to that. 

If you want to get into the shim stack editing side of things, there is a company in CT that does them. Chat to Capricorn about it - I think he's done some shim stack editing before. 

Didn't mean to insult you.

Regarding the "Tune".  Does he get funky? As in get some new stuff made up or does he just edit the arrangement of existing little washers ? 

If It wasnt for the Nitrogen charge in the damper chamber I would open that son-of-a-gun up myself.

This below is for a RP23.. I know Push removes the compression circuit all together and replaces it with a conventional shim-stack similar to the rebound circuit. 

If I had the time I would seriously get into this :w00t:

post-1279-0-98492700-1524576918_thumb.jpg

sjoe Bos, I've dipped my tow into these waters, and then decided to take it out and go back to my comfort zone. 

maybe Phone the the Andrews at Stoke Suspension Works. They actually know what is going on and what you'll need to turn the squish into lekker squish. 

Read through this..

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/fox-float-rp2-3-damper-service-thread-uncovering-secret-609264.html

It made my head spin. But Ya I'm only dipping my toes in here because the new shock is still on its way and the old has too do for now. 

It would just be nice if Fox published a simple, well reasonably simple chart like the one I attached first. Its kind of the level of tech most can understand. 

Simple leverage ratio calculation, travel, stroke and PSI should provide plenty information. 

Theres a little program called http://bikechecker.com/news.php

This gives you a whole bucketload of info that you never knew you needed  :cursing:

The most important perhaps the progression rate and the anti-squat.. for an idea of how your suspension will react.