Trying to give up or cut down on Sugar intake

Bonus

Milky coffee without sugar at breakfast is going to take some getting used to!

Won't be long before you don't even notice AND you'll taste the coffee!

NOTE: if you use long life milk it is loaded with added sugar.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... perhaps you should check that one again...

Have a read of the Docs post a few up from yours...

I don't know if I should consider myself lucky or unlucky on the fact that I can't tolerate sweet things, that is if I eat anything sweet I always get light-headed, dizzy and nauseated. At 26 years old and only weighing 53.4kg I suppose I might have undiagnosed illnesses. Perhaps OP can try employing a concept of thermodynamics here, E(in) = E(out) so as much as OP intakes a lot of sugar E(in), OP needs to expend that E(out) by riding his bike harder than before.

All early symptoms of diabetes.... weight has nothing to do with some types of diabetes (Type 1 and LADA) - ask your doc to check your hba1c numbers as an absolute minimum - its a blood test.

How tall are you?

Best check with a doc if you have some medical qualms. Don't leave it till it is too late.

I'm 168cm or 5'6" for the imperial knobs, yes I know I'm short but if it bears any weight I'm a male.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k7ZJijIt-4

Hi guys. With a long week-end coming up, here's quite a cool movie on the topic. Scary stuff, this sugar is.

Enjoy.

scary video, thanks for sharing...

Makes me think about all those race bars I consume during rides...maybe I should try something more healthy.

Edited by myth125

scary video, thanks for sharing...

Makes me think about all those race bars I consume during rides...maybe I should try something more healthy.

Check the fructose levels. Glucose is great for endurance exercise!

5 idea bubbles

You eat the stuff you buy

Clear the kitchen cupboards and throw away the cookie jar / choc drawer

A big blob of peanut butter on a table spoon

Sleep / rest enough

A cold shower / splash your face

+ Eat regular meals with scheduled healthy snacks between. You are far less likely to

cheat if you are not hungry.

Something I picked up regarding no refined sugar is that I NEVER feel hungry. I also love raw ginger which has many benefits but something in particular happens to me where it suppresses my hunger. My appetite is more than healthy, as with most athletes probably but I never seem to crave anything. I can go on but I'm not going to. It's safe to say that cutting refined sugar out has loads of benefits.

It seems this thread is also on a sugar high because it's still going...

I don't know if I should consider myself lucky or unlucky on the fact that I can't tolerate sweet things, that is if I eat anything sweet I always get light-headed, dizzy and nauseated. At 26 years old and only weighing 53.4kg I suppose I might have undiagnosed illnesses. Perhaps OP can try employing a concept of thermodynamics here, E(in) = E(out) so as much as OP intakes a lot of sugar E(in), OP needs to expend that E(out) by riding his bike harder than before.

I have to do a 94.7 every day to match the sugar I've been taking in!

A bit of cutting back sugar and some good cycling, now that Spring has arrived, should see me alright though.

Not a sweets/cake/pudding fan

All I do is try and eat healthy and have the odd treat and dont worry about it

Strong black tea with a dash of milk with 2 sugars on waking up

Jungle Tropical Muesli 2 handfuls with hot water for brekkie

Main meal at lunch time.meat veg and potatoes or rice

Snack when I get home of 2 x fruit

Supper is Salad,feta and tuna or cottage cheese on woollies seed bread otherwise avoid bread

Pasta with pesto or similar if starving

Wine

Ice cream once a week in a cone

Chokkie(whole bar) once a month as a treat

I like going to restaurants for lunch on the weekend so will stick to the formula and dont hold back on prawns or whatever and vino

Blood pressure...perfect

No sign of diabetes

Weight ok

When riding I like date balls,raisins and bananas to munch

Following is avoided and recommended by my doc when i was in my 40s and suffering with reflux

Fizzy drinks

Sweets and chocolate

Biltong and droerwors

Too much beer

Coffee except on occasion

Fatty meats

Standard cheeses like cheddar etc

Processed meats 

Condiments other than peri peri sauce

Wow - 10 pages in a day and  half.  Clearly a topic on a lot of people's minds.

My opinion - use it, don't use it but don't be offended by it.

The reason sugar is so difficult to kick is because it is addictive.  Rightly or wrongly, this is the  concept I used to force myself to kick the habit.  You don't tell an alcoholic to drink beer in moderation, likewise for sugar.  Once I got my head around this I found it easier to give up.

I've been low carb for 5+ years now (maybe more). 

I drink beer (and whiskey) - those are my vices.

I do have a slice of tart if at someones house and it is offered.

In terms of day to day living:  I can easily not eat the whole day.  Couple cups of coffee with cream in the morning.  Then dinner at night. 

If I do eat during the day, it will be real food - meat or eggs or dried meat.  General the only processed stuff I eat is cheese.

In terms of riding:  As long as I'm riding zone 4 or lower I can go for hours without carbs.  Generally a 4 hour / 100km road ride is just water.  Longer I will take nuts/biltong/ salami etc.

I've done the 100 miler, TB, joberg2c all on low carb.  (Joberg2c I had 1 gel at the end of day 6).

If I'm in the red zone then yes, I need carbs.  But I'm not a big race snake so this doesn't happen often.

All of the above is pretty meaningless though.  The message I'm trying to emphasis is that sugar is overrated.   Try living with out it - you will be surprised at what can be done.

The concept of eating fruit is still something I'm on the fence about.

I love fruit.  I think (I'm not a doctor or dietitian) that fruit contains a lot of good.

However, I do believe the fruit we eat today is a lot different to the fruit we used to eat 20 years ago.  I think a lot of modification has gone into all fruit types to make them more juicy and tasty.  And one of the knock of effects is there is a lot more sugar in commercial fruit these days. 

Try eating an apple / pear grown in your backyard (which I would argue is natural) vs a store bought  item (which I would say is on the modified side) and notice the taste difference.

Just my thoughts...

The problem with reading the labels, is, well, reading the label.

They print them so damn small !

And then they print the numbers in a jumbled way that requires a PhD in nuclear dance fairy moves to decipher.

And of course you are looking at the box in the fullest aisle and the kids are yackety yacking in your ear for said packet of chips you are trying to find out if it is safe to eat.

And then granny bumps your trolley and smiles innocently at you "sowwry"!

Just eat the damn chips. Then go ride your bike. But no junk miles. Ever.

On a lighter note .... sort off ....

First time we go buy food after the sessions with the dietitian ..... now I KNOW everything - yea right !

Wife gets her list and her own trolley.  Me, I get my list of very specific food items, and my own trolley .... very early, nice and quiet in the shop.  Fist shelf, first item .... take 2 or 3 items and start reading those blasted labels - jip, reading glasses came along for this epic trip .... as if you can read that insanely small print.  And if you can, then they jumble the numbers in such a way that it becomes impossible to compare two products ....

dammit, I HAVE studied rocket science !!  This is way worse !!!!!

Think I had done almost half my list when my wife came looking for me .... 

Okay, it gets better with time.  You learn which products are best.  And after some epic journeys you figure out which shops carry which !  THIS is the worst part of really eating right - no single shop carries everything that a diabetic should be eating !!

All said and done - well worth it though !!

+ Eat regular meals with scheduled healthy snacks between. You are far less likely to

cheat if you are not hungry.

THIS is a very important part of the diabetic eating plan .. for a number of reasons :

- the regular snack helps to prevent sugar dips

- because you are not starved, you dont eat as much for a meal, 

- it forces you to plan ahead, so you the cooler box with the healthy stuff ... try to stop and pick up healthy food on the go ...

took a few weeks to get into the habit, now it really is second nature

Won't be long before you don't even notice AND you'll taste the coffee!

NOTE: if you use long life milk it is loaded with added sugar.

Lots of comments on the coffee ....

When I switched from sugar to sweetener (very small quantities) my coffee tasted BAD !

I experimented with different brands.  Dont laugh - Ricoffee was the best tasting of the lot without sugar !  Few months later I had some decaff Nescafe at friends - this really tasted superb without sugar.

Lately I find that most coffees taste okay without sugar, though I still prefer decaf ....

taste is a funny thing !!  when forced to adapt, one gets to experience how your taste buds adapt .....