Ironman 2019 - PE

_David_

Or having a shortened swim, am I?

Great result. 

You got the medal, you did 3 disciplines. The shortened swim at worst resulted in a slightly (relative to the day) quicker time for the day.

At the red carpet paul would of said 'you are an ironman'

thus.....

you are.

congrats Ironman. 

no feeling quite like getting to the red carpet is there

In 2015/4, the cycle course went round the back of seaview past kgama kama (sp)   and same scenario...you battled the hills and then on the part of the course where one was hoping for some pay back being seaview to PE the wind was blowing in the wrong direction...painful.

At least in 2016/7/8 the wind would hurt in one direction but give assistance in the other direction. With the change in course this now can be nasty as proved. 

Edited by IceCreamMan

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Xolani - our man with one leg, and Hein didn't make the bike cutoff.

1:15 swim, 180km cycle in 9:03.

I'm sure we'll see them again in June for Comrades.

Xolani fell in T1 and broke three fingers, they rode the first lap but were unable to ride the second lap. huge respect for them 

Short and sweet report:

Glad the swim was shortened

Easterly wind sure is the Beast. The so called protection through the suburbs on the downhill didn't materialise.

Run was really enjoyable. Those spectators just made it worth taking every step. Little kids wrapped up in blankets jumping up and down it was wonderful. one of my highlights was starting the 3rd lap coming around the corner at the Courtyard Lodge i hear "Come on Scott, Head up you got this" only to realise it was Tim Don himself!! needless to say i did the whole Bromance thing and shook his hand before continuing with a huge smile on my face. 

... i hear "Come on Scott, Head up you got this" only to realise it was Tim Don himself!! needless to say i did the whole Bromance thing and shook his hand before continuing with a huge smile on my face. 

Wow!

Short and sweet report:

Glad the swim was shortened

Easterly wind sure is the Beast. The so called protection through the suburbs on the downhill didn't materialise.

Run was really enjoyable. Those spectators just made it worth taking every step. Little kids wrapped up in blankets jumping up and down it was wonderful. one of my highlights was starting the 3rd lap coming around the corner at the Courtyard Lodge i hear "Come on Scott, Head up you got this" only to realise it was Tim Don himself!! needless to say i did the whole Bromance thing and shook his hand before continuing with a huge smile on my face. 

He was shouting at us to work together and to use the wind to our advantage. Great guy! What happened to him during race?

He was shouting at us to work together and to use the wind to our advantage. Great guy! What happened to him during race?

We saw him fixing/tightening (?) something on his bike, it was strange how long and relaxed he looked while chatting to the bike marshal who pulled over with him. I can only guess mechanical DNF.

We did a warm up on saturday and then realized we are in for a tough day in the swim etc.

It was a tough day out, but are happy with our times. My buddy got  a penalty for drafting , but was actually not his fault , anyway we waited for him in T2 and did the marathon together to finish all 3 together.

Awesome day out, the wind broke me on the bike , just wanted to get through it and start the run. 

I know it is difficult to compare years but how would you compare this year to 2012 in terms of weather?

Can't say, 2013 was my first so missed the "Hurricane Katrina" year.  By all accounts that year was still worse, but a gale Westerly and cold with rain.  They had to pull some people off the cycle (particularly smaller / lighter women) as they couldn't keep their bikes on the road!

Can't say, 2013 was my first so missed the "Hurricane Katrina" year.  By all accounts that year was still worse, but a gale Westerly and cold with rain.  They had to pull some people off the cycle (particularly smaller / lighter women) as they couldn't keep their bikes on the road!

Aaahh, my maths let me down you see, thought 2012 was your first one. I asked because it was mine :D  and wanted to know how it compared as it was pretty bad. There was talk the day before of cancelling the swim but I reckon the difference was that there was lots of chop in 2012 because of the strong west and no big swell(compared to this year).

Swim was bad, bike was worse and the run...a walk, in the rain and wind again. Finished with a longsleeve top and beanie!

Wow!

Scott CM, Now I am so Jelly....man what a thing for the Don to DNF and then come back to be part of the race-nowhere in the world do Pros do this. Tim Don is now my official man-crush...I would just do my nut if he encouraged me like that....Stuff the red carpet and the medal,,,,Tim Don spoke to you Scott ....dude...you were touched by an Angel!   

Edited by Wheelsuck

Scott CM, Now I am so Jelly....man what a thing for the Don to DNF and then come back to be part of the race-nowhere in the world do Pros do this. Tim Don is now my official man-crush...I would just do my nut if he encouraged me like that....Stuff the red carpet and the medal,,,,Tim Don spoke to you Scott ....dude...you were touched by an Angel!   

It's the same when the pro's roll out to the finish line at midnight, just to make it extra special for those real soldiers. I'm sure I remember Ben Hoffman being out there late 2 years ago after his win.

And don’t forget the best way to beat em post ironman blues is to enter for 2020

Are you planning on line up on Hobie beach next year for #5?

I need to find a sponsor, racing in PE is becoming very expensive, might as well go do a race abroad.

Its actually a valid point. We've thought about that, like seriously. Pretty keen on Cozumel, then kicking back for a few days on the beach.