Ironman 2019 - PE

_David_

This weekend (me and the wife) cost me between 25 - 30k.

Entry, flights, accomodation, rental car , bike transport and food.

Yeah, I think I was pretty close to that last year as well. I just closed my eyes and stopped counting when handing over the credit card at some stage.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also had the Tim Don treatment en route. On a rather obscure part of the run route there he was cheering "me" on. Kudos to the man.

Got round in 11h49m, was happy with that. Conditions were tough especially for bike course. Relieved it wasn't as windy as the Thursday afternoon before the event. That would have been quite something!

Tri-suit, either short distance or sleeved tri-suit for longer if you don't want to burn in the sun.... am sure you can pick one of those up ;)

Cycling and running you have, apart from what you listed, so just small stuff to get you through, obviously goggles for the swim and a race belt for ease of wearing and moving your race number around, top tube bag for nutrition.

Plenty of bike transport companies if you are not driving down, costs around R1k

EL + PE combo is worth it with regard to cost saving.

Book flights early if committing to do, same with accommodation.

https://www.realbuzz.com/articles-interests/triathlon/article/beginners-guide-to-triathlon-gear/

https://triathlonlab.com/pages/essential-gear-for-triathlons-beginners-guide

+1 on the tri suit. Of course when doing Ironman, you MUST also have the latest TT bike  :whistling:  (n+1 and all that)

Was my third one also being in a row - definitely a faster bike route , cant imagine coming back on the marine against the beast from the east.

Crowd support was lousy - yes there were people but far less then other years - the new bike route keeps people from getting in until the bike cut off - plenty of my mates and fam gave up trying to get in - think this must be adressed. 

Are you planning on line up on Hobie beach next year for #5?

dunno, this past winter made me realise how soft I am getting. If my son decides to do IM in 2020 I will definitely do it 

Oh yes, I saw a pic of the t-shirt... which said 70.3 on the back?

Is this fake news or a pretty severe mistake?

Oh yes, I saw a pic of the t-shirt... which said 70.3 on the back?

Is this fake news or a pretty severe mistake?

Real, but they did tell you about the mistake before purchasing and gave it at a discounted price as well as saying that there will be an email coming through after the event where you can purchase the 140.6 shirt. So really don't understand the ho-ha made by some people. 

Real, but they did tell you about the mistake before purchasing and gave it at a discounted price as well as saying that there will be an email coming through after the event where you can purchase the 140.6 shirt. So really don't understand the ho-ha made by some people. 

The problem for the ho-ha is

EL 2018 finishers T-shirts printed incorrectly as all had "Team" on them and supposedly were sending new ones to those who did the individual 70.3 not as a team... many did not get... me included.

IM 70.3 World Championships 2018 - Same T-shirt design, quality was crap (names could hardly be read as printing fuzzy), printing also faded and became blotchy after a couple of washes... many complaints posted on social media with regard to this.

IM 70.3 World Championships 2018 - Athlete's bag poorly made, zips did not work or broke after the first use.  IMSA had to send everyone a new bag which was delivered a few months later, which had to send to everyone who participated from all over the world. New bags also a different material and zip type.

Now IMSA 2019 and the T-shirts are incorrectly printed with 70.3 when should be 140.6.  

So the ho ha is really more of a cumulative issue with Ironman South Africa.  Who is in charge of product specification, checking and signing off?

When people pay a hefty entrance fee to do an IM event, they expect quality and not rubbish!!

Had the same problem here at Weymouth...some tshirts were perfect like mine but most were also listed as team which annoyed people.

As Shaper correctly points out, we pay a load of money so the least they can do is proof read the shirts and fix the error before hand. its a silly mistake and its compounded by previous ballsups… 

REad up about Van Halen and the brown M&M's .... i still put a sentence in every contract i compile regarding brown M&M's ...not picked up once, not a single time. but thats aside. 

The Fall Out on FB was big-people were in a toestand and of course then IM is **** and the world  has gone down the tubes..But I guess they are penny pinching-you just have to do a search of similar priced bags etc to realise that bag costs no more than 100 Randelas  and the medal no more than R50-And compared to International events the medals and shirts are average. Best was Merrel who cocked it up in 2012IMBC but then made some nice shirts after that.And can they stop with the bags now...My Malawain gardener refused the last 70.3 Bag and only wants IM Bags-he says it helps his streetcred.

Edited by Wheelsuck

REad up about Van Halen and the brown M&M's .... i still put a sentence in every contract i compile regarding brown M&M's ...not picked up once, not a single time. but thats aside. 

Hahaha seriously? Thats great

For all those planning on  IMSA 2020 will notice that there is no date announced yet. It is always announced at the awards ceremony however not this time. If you wondering what the reason is, its because there has been a fall out with the municipality and our stupid anc coalition mayor who insists the event goes out for tender ??? Talk around town here is that the chances are high that 2019 might have been the last IM held here. They had to even payout SMME business a hefty amount to stop them from blocking the race this last weekend as they had threatened to do. IM Europe who we fall under and IMSA have had enough of there demands and sh!t. However negotiations are continuing and lets hope that sanity will prevail.

Hahaha seriously? Thats great

Yip, I put a throwaway sentence in small print of every contract I compile. To date an in excess of 200 no one has come back. No one reads contracts it seems. Just sign an carry on.

• 2 weeks later...

For all those planning on  IMSA 2020 will notice that there is no date announced yet. It is always announced at the awards ceremony however not this time. If you wondering what the reason is, its because there has been a fall out with the municipality and our stupid anc coalition mayor who insists the event goes out for tender ??? Talk around town here is that the chances are high that 2019 might have been the last IM held here. They had to even payout SMME business a hefty amount to stop them from blocking the race this last weekend as they had threatened to do. IM Europe who we fall under and IMSA have had enough of there demands and ****. However negotiations are continuing and lets hope that sanity will prevail.

rumor has it IMSA is considering Morocco,do not know how true this is but were theirs smoke ,theirs fire   

Also been hearing strong rumours of Morocco, there is a new 70.3 in Marrakech in October..... perhaps they will wait to see how that event goes before announcing?