Experience with CRC's move from DHL to SkyNet?

Eugene Brown

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hahahaha....man I miss that online racing days

You still riding online?

I still have a few deep grudges against the fast and high watt racing snakes, as you can see :) It was great training for sure!

Sadly no online racing any more...in fact no riding at all. Recovering from collarbone dislocation surgery...Now have a plate that looks like an alien in my shoulder....

Back on the trainer soon. 

paid 30% duties on a pair of cycling shoes

plus 15% VAT

plus R402.50 admin fee... :wacko:

AND express shipping - as per CRC basket...

I believe the 30% is not correct? - cycling shoes are sport equipment and not normal shoes  / clothing. Can anybody correct me if I'm wrong please.

(the shoe or even size I wanted could not be found locally, so was forced to order offshore)

Nope, that's correct. 

paid 30% duties on a pair of cycling shoes

plus 15% VAT

plus R402.50 admin fee... :wacko:

AND express shipping - as per CRC basket...

I believe the 30% is not correct? - cycling shoes are sport equipment and not normal shoes  / clothing. Can anybody correct me if I'm wrong please.

(the shoe or even size I wanted could not be found locally, so was forced to order offshore)

Duties on sport shoes are 0% if bought from the EU.  Now that the UK is not part of the EU anymore it falls under "Other" and it attracts 30% duties.  I guess they still have to negotiate new trading terms after Brexit.

Duties on sport shoes are 0% if bought from the EU.  Now that the UK is not part of the EU anymore it falls under "Other" and it attracts 30% duties.  I guess they still have to negotiate new trading terms after Brexit.

thanks. wish I knew... :wacko:

Not entirely correct...

UK is still part of the EU. Also, it's the ORIGIN country, not the country of purchase, that matters. IE if it's made China, and sold via CRC, it's country of origin is still China. 

Have stopped using CRC.

Use Merlin Cycles - just as competitive and never had issues with delivery. They use UPS with a 3 day turnaround

I think it's time to change and move away from CRC...

Hi guys, I use a service from Aramex called global shopper. It's R150 for a lifetime membership and you get a local shipping address in 240cities around the world. It usually takes seven days from the parcel arriving at their depot in any country to get to my door and you can even buy from sites that do not ship to South Africa. Minimum charge is R200 for 500g on a sliding scale as the weight goes up. About 60% of the time my goods have gone through customs with no extra charges.

https://www.aramexglobalshopper.comff52960e13ea30e788b6d7e0efeb3bbb.jpg

same experience as everyone else...

R350 ""handling" fee and package took 2 weeks to arrive AFTER it was cleared at customs.

tracking site and call center staff are equally useless!

Hi guys, I use a service from Aramex called global shopper. It's R150 for a lifetime membership and you get a local shipping address in 240cities around the world. It usually takes seven days from the parcel arriving at their depot in any country to get to my door and you can even buy from sites that do not ship to South Africa. Minimum charge is R200 for 500g on a sliding scale as the weight goes up. About 60% of the time my goods have gone through customs with no extra charges.

https://www.aramexglobalshopper.comff52960e13ea30e788b6d7e0efeb3bbb.jpg

The disadvantage I can see here is that you will need to pay the countries Tax/VAT for local delivery + the import duties + local (South Africa) VAT...Not sure this makes sense.

Edited by Grey Hubs

The disadvantage I can see here is that you will need to pay the countries Tax/VAT for local delivery + the import duties + local (South Africa) VAT...Not sure this makes sense.

Applies if you order from certain states in the US however I have not run into that problem yet. I always pay the advertised price with no other charges except where they don't offer free local delivery.

You seem to be correct.

Yes, the online store in the country of purchase will add GST/VAT to the purchase price of your order where applicable. When your order enters South Africa, Customs Duties and VAT will be charged by SARS in some cases depending upon the invoice value of the item and type of commodity.
Edited by JasonS

I'm getting the same story. It's being processed through customs, its been nearly two weeks. I'm unfortunately in CT and the warehouse is in Kempton Park so I just have to keep phoning everyday to find out whats happening. 

My parcel spent 10 days in the UPS warehouse without moving and each time I queried it I was told it was with Customs.

After finally collecting my parcel from their warehouse it was clear that it was never inspected by Customs as the original closures were intact.

Just for guys still waiting:  This is extract from email from CRC .  So you could refuse delivery and get refund... but maybe just check before trying :)

"In light of this, we would recommend to either refuse the deliveries requesting further payment to have them returned to us for a refund, or pay the fees and email over the receipts as proof payment and we will try to work out what the complete customs value should have been and resolve it accordingly."

Edited by Karman de Lange