Experience with CRC's move from DHL to SkyNet?

Eugene Brown

Ended up paying R2300 for the Osprey Raptor 14 that is advertised for R1282. Could have bought this item at Sportmans for cheaper. This is very disappointing as I supported CRC from the day I started cycling. 

• Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ended up paying R2300 for the Osprey Raptor 14 that is advertised for R1282. Could have bought this item at Sportmans for cheaper. This is very disappointing as I supported CRC from the day I started cycling. 

Guys let's be fair, Local Customs and Duties are not CRC's problem.  If you order clothing related items (and I assume bags etc. fall under that) you will get dinged up to 40% Import Tax, then VAT on top of that.

When one understands this, not all SA shops are gouging you.  

Use CRC for Bike Components.  They are duty free and you only by VAT (on top of a 10% upliftment). But stay away from importing clothes, shoes and the like.

What is in CRC's control however is to revert back to a more reliable courier

i agree you cant blame any of the overseas companies for the duties, but courier makes a big difference.

My experience with Skynet so far is really poor.

I am sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. Skynet is shocking. They levied an extra "handling fee" of R230. Call centre staff are unhelpful and rude. I will not order from CRC again as long as they use Skynet to ship. Skynet seem to be competely unethical and incompetent.

That handling fee is ridiculous when you have already paid the courier costs to CRC.

You'd be paying DHL / UPS / whatever a handling fee as well, on top of the courier fee.This isn't a skynet only fee. It's standard across courier services, as well as SAPO.

i agree you cant blame any of the overseas companies for the duties, but courier makes a big difference.

I think the issues with Skynet have been raised with CRC on numerous occasions.

Unfortunately they don't seem too perturbed by it.

You'd be paying DHL / UPS / whatever a handling fee as well, on top of the courier fee.This isn't a skynet only fee. It's standard across courier services, as well as SAPO.

Yes but

• SAPO is R25 something, so I can justify the wait
  • DHL is R150, and their clearance time is great and I can pay very conveniently through their online portal
  • Skynet is R200, hardly convenient payment options, and 3-4 weeks of clearing

So yes, one pays regardless, but it is not always value for money

Yes but

• SAPO is R25 something, so I can justify the wait
  • DHL is R150, and their clearance time is great and I can pay very conveniently through their online portal
  • Skynet is R200, hardly convenient payment options, and 3-4 weeks of clearing

So yes, one pays regardless, but it is not always value for money

On this, we agree fully. 

Just got all my online shopping today. Taking so long has its benefits. You kinda forget what you've ordered. Like happy birthday to meeee

My parcel arrived today - delivered on time once it got out of customs.  Skynet - very hard to get hold of anyone on their helpline and office line, but once i paid the duties things happened quickly.

Customs and taxes were killer though. Next time i will look local

• 2 weeks later...

Very glad I saw this post, was planning on getting equipment in, but after reading the horror stories here I will rather not. The LBS around me are not helping, not getting stock in and no feedback when asked. 

Are there other worthwile online platforms that people here use?

Very glad I saw this post, was planning on getting equipment in, but after reading the horror stories here I will rather not. The LBS around me are not helping, not getting stock in and no feedback when asked. 

Are there other worthwile online platforms that people here use?

ANY online shop via aramex global shopper (but you'll pay vat in two counties)

Merlin and Jenson usa - because they use UPS @ ~ R500 and you have your stuff within a few days so worth it.

With the latter two, if you shop smart you can easily offset the shipping cost. a nice fat discount on a big price item or two easily negates that R500 and even the duties in some cases. I'm about to pull the trigger on some slx m7000 brakes from merlin...just hanging on another day or 3. They are R1600 for a full set on a BF special there at the moment. vs R2600 here.

Even if i bought JUST the brakes and nothing else i could land them here all in for less than R2600 so adding more things to your cart or spliiting with a buddy...you can get some really good deals overseas. Buaught some Saint cranks last month with some other stuff at R1600. those are going for R1100 now on BF....vs R3400 at cwc LOL!

anyway, rule of thumb for me is if i can sidestep SAPO i can shop there no problem. just need to be smart about it. 

Thanx for the reply! Been browsing the sites you mentioned, HUGE difference in prices. I usually refrain from foreign purchases due to the cost, but at these low prices, it makes it worth it.

I am heavy into fishing, everytime I wanted to import some equipment the local shops could source it and get it here for the same price almost, so was never worthwile importing. But it seems like the cycling world is different as the mark ups seems to be ridiculous?!

So about a month has passed since placing a small order, including EXPRESS DELIVERY, and still nothing received.

Kind of expected that from SKYNET (given above comments and own recent experience), but now CRC also giving my queries a miss.

In contrast, Merlin/UPS delivered within 7 days, no hassle no fuss.

Just wish they had a few more items I'm looking for in stock.

Finally contacted by Skynet acknowledging parcel for delivery.

But of course, not before paying their additional admin fees and customs. (UPS delivers with credit card machine in hand which is so much more convenient)

So fees paid, and the wait continues ...

This new Skynet partnership is crap. I had to wait 2 days for my invoice. Then another 2 days for the EFT money to clear. Still don't have my parcel that I ordered 21 Nov with the premium shipping option.

This new Skynet partnership is crap. I had to wait 2 days for my invoice. Then another 2 days for the EFT money to clear. Still don't have my parcel that I ordered 21 Nov with the premium shipping option.

21 Nov.? You actually doing well then.! LOL

I ordered end Oct with EXPRESS/Premium option and only just received courier invoice.

The shipping arrangements are crap as you say, and neither Skynet nor CRC seem interested in addressing it.

I'm tempted to order something small via standard postage (post office) just to see how long it takes to get here.

Edited by Thomo