Stages PM - How do you remove any data spikes?

Stupak

Quick question for those who use a Stages PM.

I have the new Gen3 Carbon on my mtb. When riding hard off road i get 2 or 3 instant (less than 1 second) power and cadence spikes often while going down hill. They are 2,000w+ and cadence well above 200. It's nothing 'major' but it's just irritating.

I use it with a Garmin Edge 820. My issue is that once my ride gets uploaded to GarminConnect and thus Strava automatically, the max power and max cadence values are wrong with no way to remove/correct them.

I've tried using stages-link as i can apply the power/cadence rules to remove the spikes, but stages-link still uploads the original data to Strava with power/cadence spikes?

Is there a way where the power/cadence spikes are removed before it gets onto Strava?

Try fitfiletools https://www.fitfiletools.com/#/top

Else if you also use trainipeaks you can fix the spikes and then export the fixed file to strava

Similarly if you use Golden Cheetah, you can search for anomalies, fix and then export to strava 

It shouldn't be recording these spikes at all, though. Something's not cooking

Welcome to using a stages PM.

Everyone I know using a stage PM has these random spikes in their data. My mate recorded 21000W the other day...

Not only Stages, I get them on my Stages as well as my Quarq DZero.... and for that matter on my Cycleops magnus

Thanks Sharper for the suggestions I'll try that, although I was hoping there was a way for stages-link to just upload the one with power/cadence rules applied since its no admin? I can't even find a way to download a .fit or .tcx file from stages-link where its removed the spikes?

I thought Stages had fixed it with the new Gen3 and addition of a gyroscope, I hadn't seen any recent forum posts about spikes recently and thought I would be okay  :mellow:

It's just irritating cause it will happen at least once every ride when going hard off-road. On road its perfect though. :)

Thanks Sharper for the suggestions I'll try that, although I was hoping there was a way for stages-link to just upload the one with power/cadence rules applied since its no admin? I can't even find a way to download a .fit or .tcx file from stages-link where its removed the spikes?

I thought Stages had fixed it with the new Gen3 and addition of a gyroscope, I hadn't seen any recent forum posts about spikes recently and thought I would be okay  :mellow:

It's just irritating cause it will happen at least once every ride when going hard off-road. On road its perfect though. :)

Easy fix, stick to the road :)

I’ve got a Gen 1 (road) and Gen 2 (MTB) and never had these spikes

Try updating software using app

Recalibrate

Change battery

‍♀

Maybe you just not pushing out 2000w???

• 2 weeks later...

Before I send this new Stages in for warranty/replacement tomorrow and have to deal with that process as I can only guess its going to be long/slow. It seems that some guys have no issues and some def have it from reading the comments above.

The Stages power meter has worked perfectly every time when on smoother road or going on a lighter ride, its only when I go on (what is for me) a hard off-road ride/race (above 300w average power) that i experience issues/spikes [i also noticed some spikes in cadence/power when not pedaling on the downhills].

Is something like changing over and spending the money on a Quarq XX1 Eagle PM going to give me more reliable data when pushing myself?

Edited by Stupak