Mavic R-Sys SLR replacement carbon spokes

Curbie

Recently I was involved in a road accident when a fellow rider went down and took me down as well. 

Unfortunately my Mavic R-Sys SLR 2015 front wheel took a knock and at least two of the carbon spokes have been damaged.

My question :- as they are insured, what will be the best approach with regard to having the wheels repaired and the spokes replaced ?

Do I deal with my LBS, deal with Mavic directly or source the carbon spokes myself and have a wheel builder replace and repair ?

All input and advice is appreciated.

Curbie

post-33815-0-87053000-1525695307_thumb.jpg

HI Curbie

Bummer about the crash!

WRT the spokes it would be best to send these wheels in to us via your LBS to have a look at and replace the spokes - we have a specifically calibrated tention meter for the carbon spokes on these wheels to build them back up to factory spec and we then offer a further years warranty on all the parts replaced.

regards

Mavic

Well done...there you go... :clap:  :thumbup:  instant reply...just add Mavic

HI Curbie

Bummer about the crash!

WRT the spokes it would be best to send these wheels in to us via your LBS to have a look at and replace the spokes - we have a specifically calibrated tention meter for the carbon spokes on these wheels to build them back up to factory spec and we then offer a further years warranty on all the parts replaced.

regards

Mavic

Mavic

My wheel of choice

Service ????

Quality of hoop ????

Pioneer in wheel tech ????

Edited by 'Dale

HI Curbie

Bummer about the crash!

regards

Mavic

Nothing more to be said :  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I have a set of those wheels as well. They're awesome, actually waiting for a phone call from my lbs regarding my spoke replacement in fact

had a set of them R Sys. Until i was bike jacked. loved them and miss them :-(

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I had the original set of these wheels in the past, super light, but you can audibly hear wind noise from the fat carbon spokes.

What is mavics obsession with sticking with this design over the years?

Yes they are light. But they are a massive trade off against aerodynamics.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I had the original set of these wheels in the past, super light, but you can audibly hear wind noise from the fat carbon spokes.

What is mavics obsession with sticking with this design over the years?

Yes they are light. But they are a massive trade off against aerodynamics.

HI Furbz

Hi-Jack away :-) 

Thanks for the comment - the R-SYS wheels were originally designed in an era where everything had to be superlight, the wheels were designed as a pure weight weenie/climbing wheel and in its current version is 1295g for the set, making it still one of the lightest alloy clinchers around. At the end of the day wheels are like horses for courses, you will use a deep set of wheels on the flats and faster courses (due to the higher speeds) and a lighter set for hillier courses (given the weight differences are often up to 600g between a good set of medium profile wheels and deep wheels this is a significant reduction for the climbs)

With the introduction of the ISM 4D rim the curves of the rim were improved to enhance the aerodynamics (are yours still the square shaped rim?)- since the rim is the first part that hits the air this is the most important area for aerodynamic improvement - no matter what, once the air hits the spokes it will be churned up, Mavics R-SYS front wheel only has 16 spokes and is actually as "aero" as most medium profile wheels with 24 spokes.

Given that there is little aero advantage below 33km/h and the wheels provide no aero advantage in the bunch (the big guy on the front does that) - these are the perfect wheels for those days sitting in the bunch waiting for the final climb of the day to attack. These wheels are also incredibly stiff so are pretty useful in a bunch sprint. They would however not be my first choice of wheel to solo break at the start of a 120km flat race!!  :nuke: 

Mavic