Heart Rate monitor doesn't work properly.

Ok what I am going to try today is putting it on my back. Because any tighter is uncomfortable. Let's see how that goes.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I tried some things during yesterday's ride. I tightened it more. Put safety pins in the strap to stop it slipping loose. I used my ECG gel as normal. And I made the front of my cycling jersey a bit damp. I had one flat spot during a fast decent but for the most it worked fine. I have a feeling it's my jersey cause after I played with my jersey a bit it seemed to work fine.

Ok what I am going to try today is putting it on my back. Because any tighter is uncomfortable. Let's see how that goes.

Conversely to your problem, my computer mount broke and for a while I put my computer in my jersey pocket. This gave very erratic HR readings, sometimes there, sometimes not. Putting the HR strap on my back solved this. It seemed there was a proximity issue with the HR and computer and the signal was significantly weakened by having to go thru my body.

I have had this problem before and found that the flapping of some garments- shirt/ windbreaker against the unit could impact on accuracy. As it is trying to detect the pulse from your heart, the flapping shirt/ zipper interferes with it.

Something to consider,.....

^how bout no. Gamin suffers the same issue. Not going to spend money on something that won't fix the issue.

1st advice - Get a GARMIN

2nd advice - if it's an Ant+ HR transmitter then swap the unit with one of your friends and see if they have the same problem. They'll be using their head unit and should give you an idea if your head unit if faulty.

You can also go the gym and pair it with a WattBike, then you can see what your unit reads and what the WattBike reads.

If it's not an Ant+ HR monitor then see if you borrow somebody's head unit and see if there are any changes

If all that fails, just buy a GARMIN  :ph34r:

Erm... I have the same problems and I’m using (TRYING to use) a Garmin. Never had any of this cr*p with Polar.

Erm... I have the same problems and I’m using (TRYING to use) a Garmin. Never had any of this cr*p with Polar.

Have had several Polar devices over the years but every so often had issues with the transmitter.  Normally when this happened the strap was not tight enough, moist enough, or especially when season changes had to have a extra vest under my cycling shirt to shield the transmitter from win as that also had problems.  The there was the ever so often spikes in my readings when riding close to High Voltage Power lines and railway lines.  Since I got my Garmin September last year ... Zip, nada, zero problems.

Consider there could be static generated from your jersey and/or bibs due to dry weather, type of soap power or whatever you might be using....This could cause a problem between the strap and sensor and/or head unit. Also, have you got any other ANT+ sensors on the bike, speed, cadence, power?

First eliminate any other ANT+ devices plus anything else that is broadcasting a signal. I’m being serious, even leave your phone at home.

Second, and I’ve had success with this one. Put a few layers of ductape over the transmitter so the plastic cannot rub on your shirt, bib, zipper.

Good luck....

Have had several Polar devices over the years but every so often had issues with the transmitter. Normally when this happened the strap was not tight enough, moist enough, or especially when season changes had to have a extra vest under my cycling shirt to shield the transmitter from win as that also had problems. The there was the ever so often spikes in my readings when riding close to High Voltage Power lines and railway lines. Since I got my Garmin September last year ... Zip, nada, zero problems.

Weird that, I’ve had exactly the opposite experience! Cannot for the life of me figure it out other than it’s some issue around conductivity. But I’m definitely finding the Garmin is more sensitive to interference from power lines and bridge-dwelling trolls.

On the Garmin “help” site, it mentions static caused from the jersey/shirt and HR strap rubbing, can cause erratic heart rate readings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look guys I'm going to be frank here. A Garmin isn't some kind of silver bullet, they use the very same chest strap tevhnology as everyone else out there does. You Google the issue and a dozen posts of guys having issues with their Garmin come up with the results. So stop recommending it. It's not going to change anything especially when the computer has been ruled out of the equation. So don't give bad advice that's going to end up causing people to go out and waste their hard earned $$$. I also did not post anywhere "help me buy a new GPS". The thread is "help me fix my monitor". Keep the thread on topic and conducive to solving the problem at hand.

It looks like I may have solve the issue. I have now had two rides in two days with no issues. Firstly I'm riding with the strap slightly of center (transmitter sits under left pec) secondly I am letting the strap soak on water for a few mins while I am getting ready to ride. I am also making the front of the shirt slightly wet trying to discharge any static that way. However I have not tried the offending shirt yet that previously caused me issues yet. I guess as soon as that shirt reaches the top of my pile again we will know for sure.

However I will say that pretty much all of the advice bar the few "get a Garmin" comments, have all been useful in various ways. Thanks all.

Edited by Alastair_S1D

Well am experiencing a similar issue with my Garmin.

It started a couple of months ago.

Luckily I have a spare HR strap that I got with my Forerunner watch that I can use but I still prefer the one I got with my Garmin Edge. Still need to find the cause though.