Homeschoolers Not Welcome at Spur MTB League

Shaun Green

Well, isn't that what our country need in order to stop being nowhere in the Cape Epic or UCI XCO races....dedicated riders with natural potential?

The obvious solution to that would be to also ban foreigners and homeschoolers from the Cape Epic and UCI XCO's to protect people that went to normal schools from competitors with the potential to beat them.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, isn't that what our country need in order to stop being nowhere in the Cape Epic or UCI XCO races....dedicated riders with natural potential?

In short, no. This is just conflating totally irrelevant hypotheticals.

The obvious solution to that would be to also ban foreigners and homeschoolers from the Cape Epic and UCI XCO's to protect people that went to normal schools from competitors with the potential to beat them.

definitely! Isn't it cultural appropriation if anyone other than Khoisan people ride the Epic?

Edited by PygaSchmyga

2c...This is whole issue is blown way out but like always this forum likes a good schoolyard fight. 

I think the series should be a kids series for a particular age group - not "school" kids. Maybe the whole school thing should be dropped from the name and the series. True that there are schools hosting the events etc. which is great but this should not dictate the exclusion of any kids. Hats off to Spur putting their name on something so good for this sport as there is not much support out there lets be honest.

Everyone should be allowed to compete no exclusions - we want to cultivate the best of the best and most talented/hardest working - whether schooled, home schooled , school less , homeless... what does that matter? 

The End.

Edited by s14phoenix

2c...This is whole issue is blown way out but like always this forum likes a good schoolyard fight.

I think the series should be a kids series for a particular age group - not "school" kids. Maybe the whole school thing should be dropped from the name and the series. True that there are schools hosting the events etc. which is great but this should not dictate the exclusion of any kids. Hats off to Spur putting their name on something so good for this sport as there is not much support out there lets be honest.

Everyone should be allowed to compete no exclusions - we want to cultivate the best of the best and most talented/hardest working - whether schooled, home schooled , school less , homeless... what does that matter?

The End.

I said that ages ago, and was told I missed the point (by someone I normally agree with on most things and to be fair there were some relevant issues).

But I am beginning to think children should be banned. Would definitely solve this home-schooling thing.

If your kid is that competitive, just bring them to the track.

Many more medaling opportunities at regional, national and International level.

We don't mind home schoolers .

I really hope you guys get this sorted. We need kids on bikes.

Hijack off. :offtopic: I just cannot help myself. :whistling:

2c...This is whole issue is blown way out but like always this forum likes a good schoolyard fight. 

The End.

The whole point of this is to get it adopted as a SCHOOL SPORT. Like rugga, cricket etc. 

That's the entire point of it being a SCHOOL series. 

Yeah, it's a *** one. A really *** one. Girl wants to compete, but cannot as the numbers in GP restrict entries to schools only. 

However - this should never have called the legitimacy of homeschooling itself into question. It's an alternate learning track to "normal" schooling. And not in the "alternative medicine" way, either. 

So my question, what will cause this thread to reach a conclusion?  

- By itself?

- By Admin?

Because all sides (and the middle) seems to have very strong differences in opinion so getting everyone to agree will for sure not happen.  Just asking if this thing is going to make it to a second friday.

The whole point of this is to get it adopted as a SCHOOL SPORT. Like rugga, cricket etc. 

Yeah, it's a *** one. A really *** one. Girl wants to compete, but cannot as the numbers in GP restrict entries to schools only. 

However - this should never have called the legitimacy of homeschooling itself into question. It's an alternate learning track to "normal" schooling. And not in the "alternative medicine" way, either. 

You have hit the nail on the head.Home schooling is not a school.

I don't see where the principle of homeschooling was called into question tho

Then why have a different set of rules in different regions??? - that should never have happened and yes it is *** but where this differs from the other school sports is that there are plenty of clubs and club leagues where the kids play soccer, rugby, cricket, tennis etc etc  and have a chance to compete in their age group.

What should have happened from the start is to let all kids compete but where on the entry form you enter your school name etc there should be a "other" option and if there is a benefit to the school having kids compete then in these cases the funds or whatever just goes to cycling development and in entering you agree and understand.

Now that would be a more understandable model and one I think would have had much less objection or opposition.

It's ok to get the schools involved but let all the kids in.

You have hit the nail on the head.Home schooling is not a school.

I don't see where the principle of homeschooling was called into question tho

some have intimated that it wasn't, but that's a viewpoint for another day. I sure as hell wouldn't want to homeschool my kid! Joh, that's dedication right there. Rather leave that to people who do it all day every day (and who should be paid better than they are)

Then why have a different set of rules in different regions??? - that should never have happened and yes it is *** but where this differs from the other school sports is that there are plenty of clubs and club leagues where the kids play soccer, rugby, cricket, tennis etc etc  and have a chance to compete in their age group.

What should have happened from the start is to let all kids compete but where on the entry form you enter your school name etc there should be a "other" option and if there is a benefit to the school having kids compete then in these cases the funds or whatever just goes to cycling development and in entering you agree and understand.

Now that would be a more understandable model and one I think would have had much less objection or opposition.

It's ok to get the schools involved but let all the kids in.

There's already an answer for that - numbers. GPO has faaaar more people contending, and Meurant (a dude I trust implicitly) has said that they've just had to make it that way to manage numbers. 

Or, rather we're looking at it the wrong way. Instead of GP excluding HS'd kids, maybe we should trust Meurant at his word that the other provinces made a concession to allow more numbers in to their series to make it more competitive. 

some have intimated that it wasn't, but that's a viewpoint for another day. I sure as hell wouldn't want to homeschool my kid! Joh, that's dedication right there. Rather leave that to people who do it all day every day (and who should be paid better than they are)

The school provides a lot more than just teachers....

Home schooling is a mighty challemge

My sister is the academic and  Cambridge head at a large school in the Cape.The home schooling students have challenges with regards to the practical side of subjects like Science etc.

Anyway that is not what this is about.