Homeschoolers Not Welcome at Spur MTB League

Shaun Green

So why not as a solution to the issue include all schools - already done yes but limit the entries

If that is your dream, then start a scheme like that, find a sponsor and run it. There are already series like you propose but another would be welcomed. Go for it, you have nothing to lose but your capital.

Meurant Botha was very rational and clear that what you are proposing is NOT the focus of  THIS series. It has other, far bigger aims that go beyond individual riders. It is SPECIFICALLY aimed at schools.

So now that the numbers are unmanageably high and the series in their own words is struggling to accommodate the current interest there is change needed to the model they are following.

So how is THAT model fixed?

IMO:

The same way all other, obviously hugely successful, school sport's numbers being managed - by dividing the region further and or limiting the amount of scholars to be entered by a said school. There is no other way since the numbers will keep growing and what will happen is that only a few "Elite" schools will remain with massive MTB programmes and thus undo all that has already been done.

So is the solution then as follows?:

HS scholars - clearly they are not allowed (read welcome if you wish) at this series in Gauteng so go somewhere else or move and enter in another region.

School scholars - make sure you go to a school with a well established MTB programme.

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is like saying you want to enter your home schooled Kid in the normal inter schools swimming league. It is not going to happen.

That is why there are other leagues and races. It is in any case impossible to get your kid to all the different races and leagues.

When you decide to take your kid out of mainstream schooling, you surely also consider that they will no longer participate in any inter schools activities in the true sense of the word.

That goes for Rugby, Hockey or any other sport that you can do at school or at club level.

It does not however exclude the kid from reaching their dreams. Inter provincials, nationals are open to all kids. 

If you look at track cycling the only junior male that managed to qualify for Junior Worlds this year was Recardo Broxham, I think he is home schooled.

Edited by Rolling Stone

As an aside, because I dont know, would the Spur league allow only one child from one school to enter ? Hypothetically, say Saint Blikies Secondary School in Eloff street has only one rider entered, will the league say no you cannot enter ?

EDIT: paddamn is not allowed to comment, his logic is well .... sometimes to logical.

YES, they do.

At this point in time Maritz will the only kid from his school.  And they have no issue with this.

THOUGH, they did welcome other kids from his school to join.

Do you guys not get tired of arguing for the sake of it instead of trying to find solutions?

Maybe one day they will make a movie of you guys too.

I think it is important to realise that in Gauteng the major roleplayer in the Spur Inter School league is in fact the High Schools, who have committed a lot of effort, energy and resources into the league.  For this they now have a mechanism to rate their successes regarding the establishment of cycling as a sport.  A School like Hoerskool Montana and Wonderboom -Suid harvest a lot of prestige from both participating and doing well in the league.  These schools commitment to mountain biking is not really about mountain biking but rather about beating more prestigious schools (like Waterkloof and Menlopark) at something.  When parents chose a school for their children academic and sport achievements influence their choice.

As major roleplayers, with major investment, in the league, I can understand both the School bodies and parents being very reluctant to allow a new grouping (and one with a hydra type organisation) which has not shown any organizational or institutional commitment to team sport onto the scene.   Furthermore, even if HS did organise themselves into a single "school" team, then this would allow other players in the space, such as cycling clubs, scout groups, political parties ext doing the same.  Then it would no longer be a School league, but rather a youth group league with teams such as PBHS, AFFIE's, 5th Pta Scouts, ABC HS team, EFF Youth League team ext.

I do agree that maybe it is time for the league to mature and reorganise, but such re-organisation may be in the opposite direction proposed by the HS advocates.  I see the league breaking into a premier league of teams of 4 cyclists from the top schools, limited to say 10-20 schools, and then an open section which is more of a "free for all" where points are accrued to qualify for selection to the premier league.  An alternative league or category can be established for looser affiliated teams where attendance of a specific school is not the qualifying criteria for membership of a team.

This however is a point of departure for the governing board of the league to muse over and report back to the sponsors and the event organisers.

Maybe one day they will make a movie of you guys too.

The 300 Keyboard Warriors!

Even I am worn out. Who would have thought?

Seems to me that the only solution that will ever be accepted is the one where home schoolers are allowed to take part. Regardless of the consequences and / or alternative.

A simple "no, read the rules" and as much explanation / reasoning / logic backing those rules up, isn't acceptable.

No, the solution would be to engage with HS parents and give a proper understanding not a flippant one like this

Last year I was literally told:

"It is unfair because homeschoolers can train all day!"

Edited by scotty

I have to admire PADDAMAN'S stamina.  Its like he's doing hill repeats on Alp d'Huez

I cannot abide with someone eating fish with a steak knife.

I think it is important to realise that in Gauteng the major roleplayer in the Spur Inter School league is in fact the High Schools, who have committed a lot of effort, energy and resources into the league. For this they now have a mechanism to rate their successes regarding the establishment of cycling as a sport. A School like Hoerskool Montana and Wonderboom -Suid harvest a lot of prestige from both participating and doing well in the league. These schools commitment to mountain biking is not really about mountain biking but rather about beating more prestigious schools (like Waterkloof and Menlopark) at something. When parents chose a school for their children academic and sport achievements influence their choice.

As major roleplayers, with major investment, in the league, I can understand both the School bodies and parents being very reluctant to allow a new grouping (and one with a hydra type organisation) which has not shown any organizational or institutional commitment to team sport onto the scene. Furthermore, even if HS did organise themselves into a single "school" team, then this would allow other players in the space, such as cycling clubs, scout groups, political parties ext doing the same. Then it would no longer be a School league, but rather a youth group league with teams such as PBHS, AFFIE's, 5th Pta Scouts, ABC HS team, EFF Youth League team ext.

I do agree that maybe it is time for the league to mature and reorganise, but such re-organisation may be in the opposite direction proposed by the HS advocates. I see the league breaking into a premier league of teams of 4 cyclists from the top schools, limited to say 10-20 schools, and then an open section which is more of a "free for all" where points are accrued to qualify for selection to the premier league. An alternative league or category can be established for looser affiliated teams where attendance of a specific school is not the qualifying criteria for membership of a team.

This however is a point of departure for the governing board of the league to muse over and report back to the sponsors and the event organisers.

I know I disagree on a few things but this is a brilliant post.

All we need is a solution. Really. It's as easy as 1-2-3:

1. Run it like F1. Points for teams (Schools) and points for individuals. 
  2. Home schooled kids wouldn't participate in the schools team point competition and their results wouldn't affect the school teams' points.
  3. The schools still compete against each other for points and bragging rights and the individual riders still get recognition for their accomplishments.

Damn, how easy was that?

Do you guys not get tired of arguing for the sake of it instead of trying to find solutions?

To be able to identify a solution, one first has know what is problem you are trying to solve, and that's where disagreement arises.

For one group, the problem they are trying to solve is how do you get cycling to be a school sport. For the other group, the problem is their little Johny is not able to take part.

In my opinion, the problem the former group is trying to solve a much more noble one. Especially since there is a very simple solution to the later problem: take Johny to the many other events on the calender that are open to individual riders.

Edited by GaryvdM

My daughter participated in this MTB League last year as part of a small school team.

At her very first XCO race, she went from a 2 minute late unseeded last start to being placed 9th in just three laps. She was placed 6th at the second race. She has since raced successfully in the 2018 CENTURY21 XCO Series. She was looking forward to participating again.

We have previously contacted Spur and the organizers about homeschooler participation, but they unfortunately remained adamant that the League will not admit homeschoolers. There is no attempt to try to work out a solution that can work for all parties.

The first Gauteng race is this weekend and now we read this on the website:

http://www.spurmtbleague.co.za/participation/

My daughter is heartbroken. She has trained, practiced skills, prepared her bike, collected her kit, but Spur want nothing to do with her simply because she is a homeschooler.

We are at a loss as to what to do.

(For those who might not know Homeschooling has been perfectly legal in South Africa for many years, recognised in section 51 of the School’s Act of 1996. This School’s Act does not govern sporting events.)

Hey Shaun, given the Spur Series purpose as a schools' league, their objective is understandable, however, not necessary acceptable. But don't despair, there are MANY alternatives. At Gauteng North Cycling (GNC) we have developed a "pipeline" for XCO development and our XCO Dev Strat goes far beyond only one series. Furthermore, our dev plan offers development from ages 8 - 80 and not only from 12 - 18! I attach the document that briefly explains the model. Please feel free to contact me for more detailed information inclusive of practical guidance on when & where to start. It kicked off in 2017 and is a "rolling" strategy, riders can jump in at any time ... some of the riders that started from scratch in Jan 2017 are top-5 in the current SA XCO Cup Series and kick butt on the said schools series!

GNC Mtb Commissioner

2018_19 XCO DevelopmentPlan01.pdf

All we need is a solution. Really. It's as easy as 1-2-3:

1. Run it like F1. Points for teams (Schools) and points for individuals. 
  2. Home schooled kids wouldn't participate in the schools team point competition and their results wouldn't affect the school teams' points.
  3. The schools still compete against each other for points and bragging rights and the individual riders still get recognition for their accomplishments.

Damn, how easy was that?

What is the incentive for the organiser in this model?  Is it just entry fees?

With a School league, you have the advantage of leveraging the participant schools (especially the committed schools with access to terrain) to host events for the league.  I know that Hoerskool John Vorster and Hoerskool Wonderboom-Suid have invested a lot of effort to develop and build XCO courses on the Wonderboom mountain as a result of the Spur League. 

Schools can then use the opportunity of hosting to raise funds for both their MTB programme and their tuckshop.  The other accured benefit to MTB and the school is trained event organisers, commisares ext which get developed bmo of such events.

I cannot abide with someone eating fish with a steak knife.

that's complete BULLSH!T because you seldom get served fish on the bone (thus requiring a fish knife to gently liberate the soft flesh from the bony skeleton), which means that ANY knife will do, EVEN a steak knife