Basso to Discovery?

Breeze

From EUROSPORT.COM

Giro d'Italia winner Ivan Basso has confirmed he has received an offer to ride for the Discovery Channel team next season.

Basso was one of nine riders banned from riding in the Tour de France after the 'Operacion Puerto' blood doping scandal broke on the eve of the race, though was cleared of any wrongdoing by the Italian Olympic Committee at a hearing last week.

And the 28-year-old revealed to French daily L'Equipe, that he has already been coveted by other Pro Tour teams, including the Discovery Channel.

"They made me a concrete offer, but I am open to other possibilities," Basso said. "It's not out of the question that I'll go back to Italy [where Basso is in contact with Milram], but I have also received offers from other teams on the continent."

"But right now, in all honesty, I hope to be able to continue with CSC. It's my team. I believe I have contributed significantly to the building of the team," he added.

But Basso admitted that his relationship with team manager Bjarne Riis would first have to be repaired before he could return to the Danish outfit.

"We're in a similar situation to a couple who have hit problems in their relationship, and who are working on putting the pieces back together," he commented.

"I'll say it again. From my point of view, I don't feel like I was betrayed. I still think about what he told me, face to face, in Strasbourg [when the scandal broke]. That he believed in me, and that I was his rider."

Eurosport - Michael FitzGerald - 17/10/2006 17:34

Hmmm, seems to be that we can expect big things from this team next year if you look at all the rumours doing the rounds with all the top names they are looking at contracting in