Gauteng Track cycling

Rolling Stone

Track cycling in Gauteng has been very underrated as a way of getting the kids or adults on bikes and teaching them skills.

It is an awesome way to develop your cycling skills, how to sit in a slip, how to ride shoulder to shoulder in a bunch and still feel comfy. You are in a controlled environment with a very inexpensive bike or rental for that matter.

There are 38 league races a year at Hector Norris Park alone, devided into a number of smaller leagues. Riders are split into 3 batches A - Batch consists of mainly elite and competitive riders, B- Batch consists of some competitive Masters and up and coming Youth riders, C batch is for beginner cyclists and the very little kids as young as 7 and their parents, should they want to give it a try. Once a month there is a kids specific focus. On this day a track intro course is usually presented in the morning.

Race entry fees are minimal and club bikes can be rented for the day.

All you need is to complete a track intro course at one of our two velodromes in Pretoria or Jhb. Join CSA - https://www.cyclingsa.com/membership/ , df you are not already a CSA member, and you are ready to start having some of the best fun you can on a bike.

Edited by Rolling Stone

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread was started for all interested parties to participate and introduce non track riders to the sport

Please share your track stories, market your clubs and initiatives

post photo’s and videos

Show people how awesome track riding can really be as a competitive sport as well as for rider development

Edited by Rolling Stone

Hi Ossie

There is Hector Norris Park in the south of Jhb and Pilditch in Pretoria

These are two very different tracks with HNP being almost 500M and Pilditch being a 250m track.

The angles of the banks of these two tracks also differ a lot. My personal opinion is that it is easier to ride HNP and that the layout of HNP makes it easier to introduce newcomers to the track or to simply just go out there and do some miles.

Pilditch is a much newer track and more representative of the modern  tracks. A little more racy and fun to show your skills on once you have the hang of it. 

Edited by Rolling Stone

Hector Norris is having an open day for kids on Saturday 19 May. If you know some kids that would want to come and ride on the track or just have a look to see if they might be interested, please also let them know. They can bring any bike they like. There will also be some track racing on the day with a braai afterwards. For more info, Contact Tanya at VWE track academy info@vwetrackacademy.co.za

or go directly to the VWE Track Academy  web site or Facebook page for more info and to see what is happening at the track.

Or just contact me.

The Face book page is more up to date and there you will find the latest league information etc.

I forgot to mention that league races ar HNP are on Saturday afternoons at 14h00 after most of the hockey, rugby, netball, swimming and dads training session is done.

For Learn to ride at Hector Norris it is best to contact Tim at TC training systems.

081 7022039

tctrainingsystems@gmail.com

From the VWE web site

As a cyclist it is required that you complete a Learn To Ride with TC Training Systems before you can race the league.

The clinic is very benefical for safety reasons, and to build confidence on the track.

The cost of the clinic is R350.00 (track bike is provided) takes place  once a month on a Saturday from 10:30 to 13:30.

Clinic covers the below:

Ø    Basic track etiquette

Ø    Track FAQ

Ø    Lines on the track and what they mean

Ø    Track safety

Ø    Basics bike setup on a track bike

Ø    Basic Balance

Ø    Pedalling awareness

Ø    Obstacle awareness

Ø    Safety when passing

Ø    Centre of gravity guidelines

Ø    Body positioning

Ø    Confidence boosting drills

Ø    Development of speed

Edited by Rolling Stone

One Parent PM'd me wanting to know if Track will help his kid's mountain biking.

Well if you go and look at the podium of the 2017 SA cross country champs you will find at least two track kids in the under 11 podium.

The track is one place where you can get a smaller kid strong or just let them develop at their own pace. Where a parent can choose to either just take their kid to a track training session like you would take your kid to a swimming lesson and leave it up to the coach. Or you could both be on the track doing your own workout and you are still there to keep an eye on your kid until that day when you can no longer keep up  with them. That day arrives a lot sooner than you think.

Edited by Rolling Stone

I contacted the VWE Academy several times over the last 2 or 3 years and never heard back on emails or got through on calls. I've since joined an intro to track cycling at Pilditch and it was awesome.
Point is, it is one thing to want to promote track cycling, but when the academy doesn't respond, what can you do? If it wasn't for my keen interest, I would have given up, but instead I drove the 65km or so to PTA to find out.

As for the comment on HNP being easier to learn on- the person that taught me to ride track at Pilditch said its harder to move from HNP to steep banks like Pilditch, but if you learn on Pilditch you can ride virtually any track in the world.

I am happy that you managed to get on the track. It should have been a lot easier I agree.

I am not specifically pro HNP or Pilditch. Yes HNP is my local track. As you can see my first link to a learn to ride post was for Pilditch.

I would suggest just pitching up at HNP on a Saturday afternoon and meeting the guys face to face would be the best way to go.

I think that Pilditch have their rides on Sundays. If someone that rides at Pilditch can post their program it would be very helpful. George does a wonderful job at Pilditch.

I didn't ever consider track as a form of cycling until Andrew Mclean once mentioned it on a cycling program as the perfect way to develop kids. If they would now only back that up by stocking a couple of entry level bikes at least.

I found it very easy to make contact with the crowd at HNP and VWE. They were very helpful with trying organize a rental bike and arranging that we attend a learn to ride with TC training. We have only been on the track for a bit more than a year now and it has done wonders for my son (11). The whole family have started riding track. It is such an easy thing to do as a family. HNP have lately started a drive to attract more kids to the sport.

If someone can tell me how to add pictures to this thread I can make it a lot more interesting

Click on "More Reply Options"  - Choose you file , then click "Attach This File"

post-11356-0-13475900-1526287980_thumb.jpg

Thanks Imploder

Availability of bikes is still a bit of an issue.

If the bike shops can just get with the program.

I ended up importing an XS from Australia for my son because there was nothing available at the time.

Did however manage to find bikes for my wife and myself here in SA. 

The bikes  are very reasonably prices with a good second hand entry level bike going for around R7k-R8k. Kids bikes if you can find them +-R5k

I have seen very good carbon bikes selling for R10k-R12k. 

They are also very cheap and easy to maintain once you have a bike.

A rental remains the way to go before you decide to fork out the cash.

Bikes and components are mostly advertised in the Track Cycling SA Facebook Page

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=trackcyclingsa