Karoo to Coast

Marichen

I don't know if it has been discussed yet..but I wonder what's the reason for not selling out this year? Is it just because it doesn't fall on a long weekend again? Or is there just too many other events on the calendar these days?  I know there were quite a lot of people that complained about under stocked water tables last year and the lack of seating and shade at the finish line.. wondered if people decided to skip it this year because of that

I think we are spoilt for choice now days, so many racers to choose from.

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it's probably also due to the mismatch with the longweekend although we made it one anyway. as a K2C noob i'll ad that the race is difficult one logistically if you have to come from far. You have to get n place to stay in Knysna or similar, organise a way to get yourself and your crap to Uniondale...175km away, if that means getting a driver or friend...he/she is in for 350km round trip on the road, which sucks for them. We basically had to pay for a third person's holiday to come along so we had a 'taxi driver'.

You basically need 3 people so that 2 people can ride if you aren't transporting you bikes via a courier.

The person was willing though and we figured with the cost of bike transport for 2 bikes we might as well drag a friend along instead. Most airBnb's can sleep 3 minimum anyway.

Agreed. Logistically not the easiest race.

We also got a friend to join us for the trip and be the designated chauffeur.

He gets a half paid for mini holiday and road trip

Am seriously lucky that I have a group of friends who are hooked on this event so I can tag along otherwise I doubt I could organize logistics. Although... it would still be possible if I could get a lift. But I’d have to cycle back home as not many will wait for me to finish ????

I don't know if it has been discussed yet..but I wonder what's the reason for not selling out this year? Is it just because it doesn't fall on a long weekend again? Or is there just too many other events on the calendar these days?  I know there were quite a lot of people that complained about under stocked water tables last year and the lack of seating and shade at the finish line.. wondered if people decided to skip it this year because of that

For me it's cost, add petrol & accommodation & logistics it becomes tempting to rather do a stage race closer to home for ballpark the same price rather than repeat this exercise annually.

But will be back for another one after a gap, still have unfinished business with this race 

For me it's cost, add petrol & accommodation & logistics it becomes tempting to rather do a stage race closer to home for ballpark the same price rather than repeat this exercise annually.

But will be back for another one after a gap, still have unfinished business with this race 

All of that and the state of the economy. I think it's just too expensive for a lot of people, particularly those of us from upcountry. When you add it all together, it's actually very expensive for a single day's race (Ride, for people like me :-) ).

All of that and the state of the economy. I think it's just too expensive for a lot of people, particularly those of us from upcountry. When you add it all together, it's actually very expensive for a single day's race (Ride, for people like me :-) ).

Same for the CTCT, think you have less people making the annual trip

Personally I think it is also worth saying that races like K2C (and CTCT) are in a nice comfort zone where reputation & return riders fill up a big portion of the field so they do almost zero marketing. Can't help but wonder if this attitude will bite them eventually...

CTCT is logistically a lot easier though for those of us from other regions. I don't think I'll likely do K2C more than once, unless I find it totally amazing. Too many other events I'd like to try too.

IMHO, CTCT stands out as THE premier one day event in this country. YMMV of course though.

Costs are most certainly a factor, if not the biggest

I am keeping tabs on my 1st ride. Costs currently about R8k. this includes bike service, places to stay, fuel etc etc. coming from Gauteng. Luckily my boss gave me a fuel card(semi sponsor)

But still, a lifetime to-do list.

I am keeping tabs on my 1st ride. Costs currently about R8k. this includes bike service, places to stay, fuel etc etc. coming from Gauteng. Luckily my boss gave me a fuel card(semi sponsor)

Eina!!

Long term weather forecast it looks like it's going to be muddy in the forest and a strong headwind all the way..might still even get a few last rain drops the morning. To be honest, I'll take that over extreme heat! Not so much the mud and headwind, but the cooler temps will be nice

gonna be worth it though. super excited. Have not put in too many km's the last two weeks for various 'fabricated' reasons  :whistling:  The wife has me beat there (spinning at the hamster hok).

We'll just take it as it comes and talk loads of k@k and enjoy the ride.

We are heading to Oudshoorn, George then Knysna on Wednesday, need to do the 'obligatory' family visits on the way. We'll be (over)indulging in the local beer and food offerings...hope to bump into some fellow riders in knysna during the week :thumbup:

gonna be worth it though. super excited. Have not put in too many km's the last two weeks for various 'fabricated' reasons  :whistling:  The wife has me beat there (spinning at the hamster hok).

We'll just take it as it comes and talk loads of k@k and enjoy the ride.

We are heading to Oudshoorn, George then Knysna on Wednesday, need to do the 'obligatory' family visits on the way. We'll be (over)indulging in the local beer and food offerings...hope to bump into some fellow riders in knysna during the week :thumbup:

Sounds like standard tapering to me!  :thumbup: