Poor design thread

David Marshall

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Something opposite... some well thought out design:

If SA only just followed suit and left the pins rectangular instead of rounding them life would be much simpler.

We also have those shutters on our multiplugs, but the cheap ones break after a couple of uses so either you land up not being able to use that plug point without breaking off the shutters or the shutters break in the open position and are not useless.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps there is a reason I am unaware of. . . . . 

But why does the number keypads on a phone have the exact opposite layout  to a calculator or a keyboard?  

Identical components with identical job arranged differently. 

Every now and then I f@(k#p the 1 and 7 or the 3 and 9. 

It can end up being quite an expensive calculation error or I phone some  dodgy phone numbers. 

yAueO.jpg

I know it's not Friday yet, but humour me on this one. (its quite a work today) 

Edited by IH8MUD

But why does the number keypads on a phone have the exact opposite layout  to a calculator or a keyboard?  

It can end up being quite an expensive calculation error or I phone some  dodgy phone numbers. 

yAueO.jpg

look on the bright side ... you can operate both of those easily with full finger gloves on

But why does the number keypads on a phone have the exact opposite layout to a calculator or a keyboard?

It can end up being quite an expensive calculation error or I phone some dodgy phone numbers.

yAueO.jpg

At least we don't have to meassage with these keys anymore.

At least we don't have to meassage with these keys anymore.

One could text with less eyes-on-the screen using alphanumeric keys, due to being able to feel where the keys are...the centre button with raised ridge was a point of reference for one's thumb

One could text with less eyes-on-the screen using alphanumeric keys, due to being able to feel where the keys are...the centre button with raised ridge was a point of reference for one's thumb

So I pressume you still have a 5110? Or a 3310?

jap cars - indicator right

euro/us cars - indicator left

My Nissan has indicator on the left

Fixed it for you....

But you can use the ordinary 2 prong plug in the new socket - they just added an earth prong - which I guess is a good thing safety wise.

Follow the money is what I say.... :)

In Switzerland they use similar plugs

post-3441-0-94350000-1531420730.jpeg

In Italy they use plugs with the earth pin inline with the others

post-3441-0-26812100-1531420825_thumb.jpeg

yAueO.jpg

Because the cellphone one is type mostly with your thumbs and the computer one mostly with the other fingers. And because we have opposable thumbs, the two keyboard layouts need to be in opposed positions.

Makes perfect sense mos..... :ph34r:

yAueO.jpg

For telephone keypads it's not poor design but historical from mechanical necessity in the days of dials.

As for calculators (as that is where the computer numerical keypad is derived from) there were quite a few different arrangements until the 1 above 0 layout became standard.

I know this because I was once in the employ of a large telecommunications company. And am a sad sad man...

So I pressume you still have a 5110? Or a 3310?

Nope, I just dislike the on-screen keyboard (not that I am anti- tech).

It had some drawbacks as well, because it led to sms abbreviations, where ppl lft out imprtnt vwls 2 snd txt fstr.

gr8!